Cooling down

E

Embattle

Originally posted by bodhi
I had a GlobalWin FOP32+ (I think) on my old P3 500, fucker had two fans and about 30 kilos of heatsink on it. It also had a cooling duct to take any heat left out of the system. Kept my CPU at under 25 degrees when I was running it at 667 :/

I used to have one of them for my P2-450.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Wilier
Water Cooling is soooooo passe.

Its Liquid Nitrogen cooling these days boys.

ln2_7.jpg

:eek6:

Article

Know about it wilier, just not practical ;)

E

Embattle

Thought about getting that myself but decided against it for the time being :)

D

Dimebag

Even with a cooler master thing that came with your athlon 1.4 i'd say that something is wrong to be running at such a high temp. My friend has the same cooler and chip and his runs quite a bit lower. Can be circumstantial though I am well aware.

Check if your heatsink is seated properly... see if there is anything in between the core of the chip and the heatsink. For gods sake take off any sort of thermal pad that came with it, they are shit, and also dont use thermal paste with the thermal pad :)
Give the bottom of the sink a little shine, put a v thin layer of thermal paste on the top of the chip, rub it with yer finger until it spreads across the core (gently) and then replace the heatsink making sure its in the correct position.

Are you using ACPI with HLT commands enabled? This reduces the temperature of the chip and can be enabled by fiddling and setting registers from within windows with a wprcset (Spelling?). Thing is it can crap up sound blasters and produce other problems with via chipsets.

If you've done all this, i didnt mean to insult by saying simple things, but sometimes people dont know them. If its still running really hot after you've reseated the heatsink and removed any crap that was in the way i'd say yeah get a new cooler. But tbh i dont think they should run that hot :/

I got myself a nice new thermaltake volcano t+ or whatever its called. Pure copper with an adjustable fan. I puts it on 3000 rpm and its near silent on my athlon xp 2200. It runs at about 50C under full load which isnt too bad to be honest. I dont use ACPI because as far as im concerened its a crock of shit waste of time. Virtual irqs and the like.

Anyway thats all.

Dime

L

legendario

Originally posted by Dimebag
and also dont use thermal paste with the thermal pad :)

oh fucking bollocks.

I forgot to take the pad off :D

how do I remove thermal compound from the die without using a razor (i'm scared and clumsy)

I'd rather just use IPA or some other alcohol if possible...

please help meh!

:)

E

Embattle

Are you using ACPI with HLT commands enabled? This reduces the temperature of the chip and can be enabled by fiddling and setting registers from within windows with a wprcset (Spelling?). Thing is it can crap up sound blasters and produce other problems with via chipsets.

True although this only applies when the CPU is not in use, idle.

B

b00bie

yeah i saw the liquid nitrogen cooling, shame his motherboard bent out of shape :)

SIlentb00b{KEA}

F

FatBusinessman

For gods sake take off any sort of thermal pad that came with it, they are shit, and also dont use thermal paste with the thermal pad :)

Is that as in "worse than using thermal paste between the sink and CPU" or "worse than using nothing between the sink and CPU" ?

W

Will

Most of them are worse than thermal paste, but better than nothing.

W

whirling1

My heatsink is only seated with the normal white paste that comes with pooey coolermaster underated heatsinks.....i did buy it over a year ago.
Also my comp has changed locations since i first built it..its gone from a room all of its own to a cupboard under the stairs (ala harry potter) no im not 12. This is the reason for the heat increase , that and the learning curve i am going through building PC's .
I will let u all know if any difference is seen using my new heatsink/fan/heat transfer compound.
We all gotta learn somewhere , and up to now i aint ever destroyed a PC ...and fixed quite a few

W

whirling1

Even with a cooler master thing that came with your athlon 1.4 i'd say that something is wrong to be running at such a high temp.

Yeh m8 i understand that...but looking into it i was misled as to power of said cooler.....even on coolermasters website it is only rated upto and i stress up to 1.2 ghz ...hmmm seems i was fekked up the proverbial.

S

S-Gray

Originally posted by legendario

oh fucking bollocks.

I forgot to take the pad off :D

how do I remove thermal compound from the die without using a razor (i'm scared and clumsy)

I'd rather just use IPA or some other alcohol if possible...

please help meh!

Do you mean that Orangie/Red Stuff on the Bottom of the Fan? I used Terps to remove it, then put it on my CPU

L

legendario

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]

Do you mean that Orangie/Red Stuff on the Bottom of the Fan? I used Terps to remove it, then put it on my CPU

Turps is going fooking no where near meh pc :D

No I want to remove the white thermal paste that I originaly put on which i suspect will be a bit hard now.

Does any one know a better way than using a razor?

S

S-Gray

ohhh you mean the Stuff on here? Look for the Arctic Silver Compound Cleaner

D

Dimebag

Find the pad, could be orangy red whatever, get a screw driver or use your finger and just hack it off. Then buff the buttom of the heatsink with a cloth, bit of water on it to remove the little bits of gunk left over. Make sure its a smooth finish, wouldnt worry about shining it up with wirewool or anything thats for perfectionists. Besides, if you use a little thin layer of thermal paste it sinks into the micro cracks on the bottom of the heatsink and makes up for the slight irregularities on the top of the chip.

Do not use loads of the bloody stuff its just meant to be a tiny thin layer to fill cracks and dents the eye cant even see.

After you've done this put the sink back on, make sure its seated correctly, as in the raised bar of the socket is in line with the small chunk taken out of your heatsink, clip it down and you're away.

And yes HLT commands only work when the cpu is idle because HLT is short for HALT. Thing is if your cpu is idle for long enough, and lets face it if you are just browsing or idling on irc its not going to be doing much work, its sometimes worth having on. Like I said before though be aware of other issues that it causes, sometimes 15C hotter on your cpu is utterly worth the hassle you are avoiding without using ACPI with HLT commands. I myself dont use it and dont give a shit that my cpu runs at 50C. Ive gotten it down to 26 with ACPI and HLT, but if it means my sound is going to be crackling to buggery and the computer starts jolting and spazzing around like a derranged crip in a chair then i'd rather steer clear.

Dime

W

Wilier

I used some really fine wet+dry paper to clean the bottom of my heatsink, just make sure you do it on a nice hard, flat surface.

Read this from Overclockers.com .

L

legendario

ok .

1 more question before I go.

which cpu cooler: Thermaltake volcano 9 or Taisol (cant remeber code), for an xp2100?

Thermaltake is noisier and has a faster fan.

Don't think it'll make much difference as I don't intend overclocking just now.

I

Insane

I just got my mitts on the Akasa Silver Mountain II HSF recently from overclock.co.uk

its not the "bee's knees" when it comes to cooling your chip, its heavy (so its more likely to crush your core than cool it if not mounted properly!!!) and its not copper. but its silver, shiny, and can be quiet :)

i cleaned the old gunk off my AthlonXP 1600+ and slapped Artic III onto it, Followed the Artic III instructions properly and turned the machine on

temperature dropped to 35 idle, and 37 full load :D a vast improvement to 46 idle and 55 full load :eek6:

Next month, I buy an AthlonXP 2100+ :cool:

//edit: gah! cant stop mis-typing words!

E

Embattle

And yes HLT commands only work when the cpu is idle because HLT is short for HALT. Thing is if your cpu is idle for long enough, and lets face it if you are just browsing or idling on irc its not going to be doing much work, its sometimes worth having on. Like I said before though be aware of other issues that it causes, sometimes 15C hotter on your cpu is utterly worth the hassle you are avoiding without using ACPI with HLT commands. I myself dont use it and dont give a shit that my cpu runs at 50C. Ive gotten it down to 26 with ACPI and HLT, but if it means my sound is going to be crackling to buggery and the computer starts jolting and spazzing around like a derranged crip in a chair then i'd rather steer clear.

Dime

I managed a saving of about 12c but had to take a risk using the KT266 pcr file with my KT333 chipset.

W

whirling1

Im not a happy bunny :(

Fitted my nice new shiney copper heatsink with the nice shiney silver paste..taking care only to add about 1/2 a grain of rice worth to the die on my chip.....buffed the bottom of the heatsink with some paste then wiped it off with a clean cloth...as i was instructed .....fitted the heatsink put my pc back and turned it on...left it for about 20 mins then checked the temp using a speed fan program. 61 degrees ???????? it was 62 with my old heatsink????

HELP PLEASE!!!!!1

L

legendario

Originally posted by whirling1
Im not a happy bunny :(

Fitted my nice new shiney copper heatsink with the nice shiney silver paste..taking care only to add about 1/2 a grain of rice worth to the die on my chip.....buffed the bottom of the heatsink with some paste then wiped it off with a clean cloth...as i was instructed .....fitted the heatsink put my pc back and turned it on...left it for about 20 mins then checked the temp using a speed fan program. 61 degrees ???????? it was 62 with my old heatsink????

HELP PLEASE!!!!!1

Sorry but I [pissed myself when I read this :D

S

S-Gray

First check your BIOS CPU Temperature, smoeone said sometimes they give out false readings.

Now, obviously let the CPU run before you try that (Run scandisk or a game), if it is still 60º then take off the CPU, remove the paste etc, re-apply the paste, and make sure the fan is seated properly

W

whirling1

What a clot i am...........had the fan on the cpu blowing air into the heatsink.....turned it over and now down to 48 degrees

Im off to hide under a stone now :(

L

legendario

well mine is down to 40C and my mother boar down to 27 but it now sounds like a boeing 747 :(

disconnect a couple of chassis fans me thinks :/

S

S-Gray

and your CPU is ok? I thought doin somethin like that could easily fry your Chip if not changed after so long?

G

GDW

My 1600XP Cpu runs at 53 and 61. Its been like this for over a year and have never had any adverse problems normally associated with overheating.

These processors wont fry until they hit higher tempetures and are quite capable of running perfectly in the 60s.

Most people seem to be sacrificing quieteness for lower temps almost to the point of obsessiveness and there really is no need.

Users who are viewing this thread