Cooling down

W

whirling1

Hi I have an Athlon 1.4ghz proc with the bog standard heatsink and fan (crappy coolermaster one) , I ran a check on temps other day and thing is running at 62-67 degrees....too hot methinks.

Im gonna buy a new heatsink and wanted to know if this will do the job .....Coolermaster HHC-L61 silent heat pipe ...was also gonna replace the 2500rpm fan this comes with to a faster one...along with 2x 9inch case fans.....will this do the job? and what type of heat transfer paste should i get? normal white stuff or the 99% silver ???? (yes i am a newb :p )

W

whirling1

Could any one give links to any good reliable uk online stores for this stuff..apart from e-buyer?

S

S-Gray

AS3 is the best Compund..

and i have a TaiSol Fan which keeps my CPU 40º or around that

D

Deadmanwalking

Im sure hed like to be able to sleep at night and not have that taisol fan going liek an aircraft acrrier.

*got over ur card obsession gray*

W

whirling1

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
Im sure hed like to be able to sleep at night and not have that taisol fan going liek an aircraft acrrier.

My comp already sound like an helicopter in flight LOL

D

Deadmanwalking

LOL yeah well then u dont want to add to it do u :p

The coolermaster silent heatpipe would be ur best bet as it isnt quite silent but u cant hear it with case cover on :p

S

S-Gray

I wouldnt say it sounds at all loud, its pretty quiet when i have my case off

*and i wont be over my "obsession" with Game until i get what i want*

W

whirling1

Would the ALPHA PAL 8045 be classed as overkill for my system?

or the thermaltake volcano 7?

E

Embattle

You would find it easier to use the Thermalright SLK-800 which performs as well, the PAL 8045 requires you to remove the Motherboard.

W

whirling1

Im planning on stripping my system to bare bones anyhow as i need to drill my case to fit in the 2 90mm case fans...and do a spring clean replacing my old ribbon cables with nice round ones.

and the alpha is priced around £35 with fan wheras the slk 800 has no fan at £38 ..and money is a bit of an issue ....ie im skint LOL......

E

Embattle

Make sure your mobo is compatible before you order one.

W

whirling1

Ah well ive decided to order the coolermaster hhc-l61 heatpipe..and replace the fan on it with the 6000rpm i have at the moment if its not cooling enough..also ordered my round cables and artic silver 3

Thanks for the input guys

E

Embattle

TBH you might find a 6000 RPM fan annoying, although give it a try and switch back if you don't like it.

W

whirling1

Sorry to be a pain ..but do you think a 300w power supply is enough to power my system?

amd athlon 1.4
ibm 7200rpm 60gb
maxtor 5400rpm 10gb
zip drive
standard floppy
3 case fans
dvd rom
cdrw (hp)
asus k7a 133 raid mobo

or should i consider getting a 400w one?

L

legendario

ok

say for instance I wanted to change my heatsink and fan. What can I clean use to clean off the old thermal compound which I assume might be a bit tough by now?

Thanks.

//edit ...oh and can you guys tell me what cases you have. I'm looking for a sexy one with somewhere to fit at least 2 fans too...if not I can easily drill it but i'd prefer not to as i'm a lazy f00ker :)

W

Will

I have a Globalwin 802, doesn't look sexy, but very easy to work with, intake and exhaust fan fittings already in place.

And a Mitron Clear Acrylic case, an absolute nightmare to make any hardware changes to, 5x80mm case fans, and looks very sexy indeed.

I

Insane

Im getting a Chieftec Midi-tower from Overclock.co.uk some time this week (in a lovely golden yellow colour)
They have 5 80mm fan mounts (one blow-hole on side panel, two rear and two front) as well as 4x 5 1/4 " and 7x 3 1/2" (2 exposed, 5 hidden i think)

£61 without PSU, but then Enermax PSU's are the dogs dangelies when it comes to it :D

Im the same with Legendario on the HSF thing, anybody got some inside knowledge before i take a single-sided razor to my HSF and processor ??? :(

W

Will

The single-sided razor is a good start (but be damn careful), then a cotton bud and some iso-propanol to clean the remaining gunk up afterwards. Just remember, its toxic and carcinogenic, so well ventilated areas only, k?

F

FuZor

My XP 2000 runs at 45-48 degrees at load at the moment, although as the weather cools down I have noticed a temp drop :) Thats using a Zalman Flower cooler nice stable and quiet. I have learned my mistakes from my delta fan days ;)

E

Embattle

I'll run it in over night to check for leaks :)

Nice but a little OTT :)

B

bodhi

I had a GlobalWin FOP32+ (I think) on my old P3 500, fucker had two fans and about 30 kilos of heatsink on it. It also had a cooling duct to take any heat left out of the system. Kept my CPU at under 25 degrees when I was running it at 667 :/

B

b00bie

Water cooling all the way baby :)

Innovatek duel radiator
ehiem 6048 pump
Innovatek res
Swiftech water block

30`C because its quite warm 27`C in winter

Cooling an XP1800+ overclocked(but i killed it today, Scratched it)

All stuff ordered from www.over-clock.co.uk

Silentb00b{KEA}

W

Wilier

Water Cooling is soooooo passe.

Its Liquid Nitrogen cooling these days boys.

ln2_7.jpg

:eek6:

Article

Users who are viewing this thread