Congratulations Dutchies. It's a ... Princess

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Of course you're unique... I like the Netherlands, if you feel like I'm verbally attacking your country than that is far from my intent. I'm just answering to your attacks/inquieries about my republican views.

O

old.Dillinja

Originally posted by DeSlisser
YDilinj: come with something original.

I don't need to, my argument is good enough already. Nobody gets anything for free in this world. Why should the royals?

D

DeSlisser

Wile, lets keep it at inqueries. I'm a good hearted fellow :D

D

Driwen

Originally posted by old.Dillinja
People who support royals are pathetic. It's not like they actually take part in anything anymore. If they actually ran the country like they did in the old days then sure, they deserve some respect. But, if they just sit around all day doing nothing but spending the tax payers money you can understand why some people dislike them, especially when they are getting constant attention from the media. Anyone who supports someone who is taking their money just because they were lucky enough to be born into a 'special' family is an idiot imo.

I dont know what the english royalties actually do. However what the queen does is exactly the same thing a chosen president in her place would do, but he would get elected once in 4-8 years and would be slightly less costly. However he would be less useful for cheering people up who were hit by a disaster or in general (queen's bday is a nice party something that would disappear if we had none).

Also our royal family lead us to our freedom from spain, after that we have elected the family several times after that to lead our country and in the end (after 1800) they became our actual royal family. Our royal family isnt some people who just happened to be become our rulers, because it always has been so.

Ow and Wile_E_Coyote you do need a staff for etiquette and maintaining the president house, as its used to receive guests of other countries. Our queen is busy with political things, but not as deep as our prime minister off course. However the queen/king plays a controlling role and in times of re-election, he/she would be the one guiding the forming of the coalition and also giving advice to the new prime minister as he/she has been involved in governing the country for way longer.

Republican system is something that in theory would be better than our parlementarian monarchy. However I dont like elections who are about a person instead of what views he has and Im afraid(and I dont think unjustly) that elections of presidency would be more about who is the most charismatic than who would be the best. Besides that a king/queen will have more experience to help out the new premier.

C

Cavex ElSaviour

On topic about the political discussion.

Although the royal family might cost more then a president, in someways it generates more cash and saves tax funds. Every now and then our royal family flies over the world to meat other presidents/royalties. And with the netherlands beeing a small country, a royalty makes more impression then a president will ever do. Behind the queen/prince the netherlands ALWAYS send in a load of business man who generate a lot of extra orders while they are on the same mission.

E

eynar

OMG @ all the replubican wankers who felt the need to try convince us of their ideals. Royals have no more than a strictly ceremonial duty nowadays (at least in Belgium), and they are perfectly suited for the job. Ok, they do get paid a lot without having to actually work for it & have other benefits, but that's nothing compared to other dispenses a government makes which are useless for normal citizens. I sure as hell know I wouldn't want to be a member of the royal family in a million lifetimes, not even if they earnt 10 times the money they do.

W

Wile_E_Coyote

I have nothing against being challenged on my views, I do however resent being called a wanker. Also, this debate has been moved to another thread out of respect for you royalists who want to congratulate the Dutch royal family on their newborn Princess.

Users who are viewing this thread