Congratulations Dutchies. It's a ... Princess

O

old.Tohtori

Feck sake...i'm outta here, buncha treehugging hippies the lot..

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Well, congratulations to the dutch royalty! :)

---- If you don't want to discuss politics don't look under here ----

As a republican living under a constitutional monarchy I do have to add the words:

Viva la Republica!

Wasting millions of taxpayers money on pampered "icons" of a nation so that they can "represent" us is just silly. Spend the money on the country and let it represent itself.

D

Driwen

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
F'ck if i care if you like it or not. I said i hate the damn presshype that all the damn "celebs" get, entitled to an opinion? I think i am.

Hope when xmas is over, you'll be too. (eye for an eye)

it was more a comment to your present state of posts that I have seen. So that means also outside this thread and yes you have your right to an opinion, but as 99% of your posts are meant to be amusing in some way and lately its seems like you are in a scrooge mood just said it is a rather irritating mood.

Anyway this baby will most likely be our queen in 30 years, so giving it some media attention (shock it gets 5 mins on tele) isn't that weird. And about the Swedish minister who got murdered, more people know her and probably liked her than most other swedish habitants so yes her murder (who might have been political minded which does make it news) effected way more people's emotions, so giving it some media attention is again correct.

Ow and Im acting as I have always been so I doubt I have a period, you on the other hand seems to be in some kinda fase which started when christmas was coming along.
The joy of christmas it makes more people cranky in the end than it makes people happy :(

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Driwen
it was more a comment to your present state of posts that I have seen.

and..all..that...

Thank you for your indepth view on what i am, what my posts are like and how i'm in a mood that YOU don't like.

Oh gee golly qiz i think i'll toss flowers and fart rainbows from now on just to make Driwen happy.

Feck off my case.

About the murder/birth "earning" media coverage. Well, evidently the life of a politician is more shocking then the death of a Joe Whoever, or the birth of a "possible" queen is more important then the birth of Baby Blue.

Atleast you got your priorities straight then.

And i didn't talk about periods, i talked about hoping YOU were over.

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Wile_E_Coyote
Wasting millions of taxpayers money on pampered "icons" of a nation so that they can "represent" us is just silly. Spend the money on the country and let it represent itself.

actually most of the money we spend on the royal family, would get spend on the president that we have to have then anyway. And it would give the people less reasons to party, which would make the country less happy and that would cost more money aswell:p.
So economically speaking I doubt a president would be that much better for the Netherlands atleast. The thing that is wrong about the system is that the crown prince(ss) doesnt have any freedom in what he/she wants to do with his/her life as he/she will be king/queen once and so should have a life leading up to that.

added: Tohtori that was my opinion which indeed you dont have to listen to. Anyway about murder off a politician, some people are more important than other people. Everyone has the same rights, but that doesnt mean everyone is just as important. I am completly unimportant to you and so are you for me, however if we would live in the same country does mean we would have the same rights though.
the politician and the baby meant or will mean more to most people in that country than Joe whoever or Baby blue. Off course Joe whoever will be more important to the people around him, but thats just for the few people around him.

Anyway I dont spend much of my time to know the royal families habits. I like it that there is a baby, but will hardly follow the news about it as to me it isnt really news (that would be the born of any baby though). It should be in the news that there is a crown princess as that is news, but more than that doesnt really interest me.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Driwen
The thing that is wrong about the system is that the crown prince(ss) doesnt have any freedom in what he/she wants to do with his/her life as he/she will be king/queen once and so should have a life leading up to that.

Can always get up and leave. Don't see no gun to their head.

If they've been raised to believe that they should do this and they believe it, they don't mind.

If you don't like it, walk away.

D

DeSlisser

Ok tohtori, i see your euhm [--> . <---] point.

So i propose, lets be happy about this baby and the joy she will (hopefully) bring her parent. That she may grow up and make the choices she wants to make.

Then ill make another thread next week celebrating the birth of baby Joe whoever. We can sing and dance then again.. oh my, the excitement alone is gettin to me. Don't think ill be able to make any sence next week when we actually celebrate.

O

old.Tohtori

I couldn't care less, babies are a neverending natural resource anyway. Loose one? Make a new one. So be happy and up yours :p

C

Cush

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
I said the same thing when the swedish chick, whatshername, politician...got stabbed. A whole heep of people get shot, beaten, stabbed, electrocuted, buttraped every day, but when it happens to a politician, it's a worldwide tragedy.

There is a hughe difference when it comes to beeing targeted as the person you are or the things that you represent.

For example someone hitting a black person cus he is black or cus he is a jackass that just felt up ones girl.

And yes its a hughe tragedy with all the people that gets killed everyday in the world.

W

Wile_E_Coyote

I have a hard time seeing how a president would cost you as much as a whole royal family. And..... A president would be doing some actual work for his pay. I don't consider making speeches and cutting ribbons actual work, well at least not work that justify big fat paychecks and thousands of acres of prime real-estate. A president would be elected, which means he would have to have certain qualifications to get the job. To be born into status is a thing that belongs in the past. Just because your parents were great people doesn't mean you can't be bad. And just because your parents were fit to represent the country doesn't mean their children will be. What kind of message does it send when people of a certain family is officially regarded as "better" than ordinary people?

L

lakih

A president would be elected, which means he would have to have certain qualifications to get the job.

If that was true, how can you explain Bush beeing president of USA?

Becoming president over a country just means you manipulated the voters better then your opponent(s) (or had more fundings).

D

DeSlisser

Ah a new challenger.. Wile_E_Coyote in the black corner (sorry you represent the evulnessss). DeSlisser residing in the white corner (ofc. im the good :D)

Who said anything about the dutch royal family being better?

Even when you put it between quotation marks it is still not true.. all dutchies (should) know they aint better. They just got this job due to history. History is fun.. ffs what game are you playing. It's based on History and myth.. somehting what the royal house is based on aswell

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Lakhi: That had nothing to do with the presidency in it self. It had to do with the arcane and outdated voting system they swear to. People there don't have a direct vote in desciding who should be president, in stead they vote for how the state they live in should use its electoral votes (which again, is not representative of how many people live in that state). Thats why Al Gore was the what the majority of people voted for, but Bush was the one that got elected.

I'm not for a republic after the american model, I do not believe in letting the president have as much power for instance....

D

Driwen

I have a hard time seeing how a president would cost you as much as a whole royal family. And..... A president would be doing some actual work for his pay. I don't consider making speeches and cutting ribbons actual work, well at least not work that justify big fat paychecks and thousands of acres of prime real-estate.

the real estate is something they earned over the years and you cant take that away from them. Also our queen does work, she gives advice to the premier. Is the person in charge of forming a new goverment when there has been elections (in the Netherland there is never a party with over 40% of the seats in the parlement so there has to be a coalition). Also the royal family has its uses in diplomatic affairs (just like a president does) and there are probably some reasons that I forgot.
Also most of the money spend on the royal family is paid to the queen and she uses it to pay her staff, which is the same staff a president has to have.

A president would be elected, which means he would have to have certain qualifications to get the job. To be born into status is a thing that belongs in the past. Just because your parents were great people doesn't mean you can't be bad. And just because your parents were fit to represent the country doesn't mean their children will be. What kind of message does it send when people of a certain family is officially regarded than "better" than ordinary people?

actually the parlement still has to accept the person as someone to be in line of the throne and if they fuck up, they wont be in line of the throne anymore. So yes the king/queen is reasonably qualified for the job, besides the people who are line to becoming king/queen possibly have years of training for it. Which some presidents dont.
Ow and a president doesnt have to be qualified to get the job, he just has to get the most votes. Which in some/most cases isnt the same or is someone like G.W.Bush junior an actual good example of someone being able to lead a country.

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Driwen, from what you are describing it sounds like you have exactly the same model of government we have here in Norway. Yes, by law, real estate is inherited... But do they pay taxes for it like you and I have to? Nope. Would they afford it if they had to. Nope. Is the amount they don't have to pay huuuuge? Yep. Why do we have to pay (indirectly) for their huge mansions and luxurious living condition?

Yes the royalty have some symbolic work, in Norway the King is responsible for setting together the government also. But of course, since we're a democracy this is really a negotiation process between coalition members. The King just have to OK it to make it official. Not exactly hard work.

A president would have staff yes, but they would be working with political issues and things like that. Not etiquette and polishing golden goblets like a monarchs staff.

And at the end basically you're saying you think democracy and elections is not something you are in support of? I didn't think REAL royalists like you existed anymore... You want to go back to the feudal system then?

D

DeSlisser

Yep. Why do we have to pay (indirectly) for their huge mansions and luxurious living condition?

In The Netherlands i also pay for all who are out of a job and get welfare. More than i pay for our royal house. If im not mistaken the nordic countries also have an eleborate welfare system. You wanna stop paying for those people aswell then? They don't contribute much, jsut as you saying the royal house ain't.

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Heh, that comparison is just.... Odd

I'm all for welfare, taking care of those less fortunate in the society. If the royal family couldn't get work because of work related injury or because the economy was in a downcurve, of course they should get help by the rest more fortunate of us. This is hardly the case. I don't see the similarity.... Sorry

D

DeSlisser

Well it's not that hard. You were talking about the royal family not contributing anything (i.e. hard working), but do get a whopping amount of money (indirectly). An unemployed does not contribute during his unemployemnt (no problem with that though). But they get money. That's my point.

No work = no money doesn't fly.

Get my drift now? You make the anology of no hard work should lead to not getting money, which is odd.

We just value our royal family as much as any (unemployed) citizen
:m00:

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by DeSlisser
We just value our royal family as much as any (unemployed) citizen
:m00:

So if an unemployed family had a baby daughter....lol...ok ok..not going there anymore.

T

Tilda

Tohtori,
Someone is happy that someone they obviously admire has had a baby. Ok, so you dont support the royals, but you didnt need to bring it to this thread. Make another thread discussing the pros/cons of having a royal family but stop the harsh comments in this one. I daresay if you posted here announcing your new son/daughter people would congratulate you, is there a need to bite peoples heads off just because someone in their life has had a child?

Tilda

O

old.Tohtori

Tilda you're a bit late, i stopped allready after a lil nudge from your co-worker. :p

If i had a son/daughter i wouldn't need to post about it, the end of the world outside would be a good tellsign.

EDIT: though it never was about the royals...

O

old.Dillinja

People who support royals are pathetic. It's not like they actually take part in anything anymore. If they actually ran the country like they did in the old days then sure, they deserve some respect. But, if they just sit around all day doing nothing but spending the tax payers money you can understand why some people dislike them, especially when they are getting constant attention from the media. Anyone who supports someone who is taking their money just because they were lucky enough to be born into a 'special' family is an idiot imo.

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Your unemployed get whooping paychecks and you pay for their luxurious living condition?

I think your views of what welfare is supposed to be is a bit different from mine. It's not something you pay the unemployed because you think its grand that they don't have to work. It's something you pay them because they CAN'T get any work. The royal family is not doing any real work because they don't HAVE to do any real work. Can't vs don't have to.

Also, it would be amusing to see how your royalties would react if the money they got was the same as if they were on unemployment welfare... They'd have to move into small cheap appartment, save their money for food and so on... I don't think they or their royalist tabloid reading followers would like that.

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Tilda; I do not mean any disrespect towards the child or the royal family by persuing this topic. I did even put a warning in my first post, that they shouldn't read my political view if they didn't want to discuss it. From then to now, I have only responded to followup posts aimed at my view.

(I know you said Tothori, but the content of your post suggest you mean everyone talking about monarchy vs republic)

D

DeSlisser

You know Wile, the sad thing is our Queen gets a state benefit, namely an old age benefit.

The funny thing is Her Majesty donates it to welfare. But enough of royalties not working. I tell you they do. If yer wont take that for granted, well thats your good right. But The Netherlands without their royal family would just be a drug producing state, soon to be overun by the US. We are liberal, whats more proof than both having coffee shops and a royal house.

We R Unique!

>Dilinj: come with something original. or QQ more

O

old.Tohtori

Glad i made your siggy with me wisdoms DeSlisser :p

Users who are viewing this thread