Configuring a router

Bellerophon

Fledgling Freddie
How difficult is this for one PC + one laptop? I just popped into our local tech shop this morning and asked if they had any, because I was thinking of setting up both comps to share my broadband connection....

The response I got was 'Have you ever setup a router before?', followed by a look designed to suggest I was mentally deficient and "It's actually very complicated because blahblahblah" :eek7:

So will this actually take outside help for someone with a fair grasp of computers or is he just talking out of his arse?

Gizmo

Fledgling Freddie
If you dont need to setup specific ports for TS/ventrios and that sort of progs, then its plug and pray really, most routers have a web and a wizzard for common setup :)

I can recomend a dlink router, nice and easy to setup and use.

Cheerz

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
I got cable modem and mine looks like this:

Cable Modem ----- Router (Uplink) - Router UTP Ports (x4) ----- PC's / Laptops (x4)

If I wanted to plug in more I also got another switch with 8 ports. All I had to do was configure my Router to play as the MAC from the original network card (my cable company uses MAC address to sign up the account) and put in some values I know (like DNS). Since I sometimes navigate as server for games I also open some ports temporary. But that's no big deal. The router manual should be enough to inform you.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
linksys - smc routers are cheap - easy to use, good for home usage imo.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Ones at work have a http:// interface, which you can connect through any browser, dunno if its the same for cheaper end of the market tho.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Bellerophon said:
How difficult is this for one PC + one laptop? I just popped into our local tech shop this morning and asked if they had any, because I was thinking of setting up both comps to share my broadband connection....

The response I got was 'Have you ever setup a router before?', followed by a look designed to suggest I was mentally deficient and "It's actually very complicated because blahblahblah" :eek7:

So will this actually take outside help for someone with a fair grasp of computers or is he just talking out of his arse?

If its a router designed for use with cable modems it won't need any config to get you networked and on the web.

If its a ADSL modem you will need to input your connection info to get on the web but it wont require config for your network.

(assuming you buy out the box home user products such as linksys and dlink, and not the products aimed at industry )

Both will require config for advanced features

Legohelten

Fledgling Freddie
it really depends on what router it is and how much u want it to do....most routers have web and are plug and play unless u want to use some more advansed features (which might not be supported on the one u end up using:p )

so u need to know what brand/type router u gonna get to get more specific help im afraid. and maybe also know a tiny bit about how ur ISP provide u with and ip address for the internet. so maybe buy a router from ur ISP if possible, they often come configured to work right away with whatever internet connection u have.

i personnally use a router that has alot of features ...i have firewall features configered and have opened several program specific ports etc etc. u do need to know something to do this but i work with that type of router in my job so no biggy for me. u can get the job done with alot less.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
I'm using a USR 8054 router and I got 4 PC's behind it, one being a laptop with wireless network card.

To get the router working and connecting to the internet with the computers behind it is easy. However if you are using file share programs, running FTP servers, etc you'll need to configure a few things.
The thing is, routers secure your computers behind it very well. They all act as firewall themselves closing down most ports. If you want to run an FTP server or run any file share program, or run another server of any kind you'll need to re-open these ports in order to be able to connect through em or let other users connect through em. This is pretty much the same thing as with a normal software firewall, except there's a little more to it with a router.
You will have to know what a virtual server is, also known as port forwarding. If you want to run an FTP server or use a p2p prog for example, you'll need to enter the port you want to use in the virtual server part of the setup of your router. Then you'll need to enter the IP adress of the computer running the serv/using the P2P program. The router will then send all traffic coming in on that specific port to the correct LAN ip, and not to all the pc's behind the router. You'll have to do this for many programs if you are using more then 1 computer and you'll have to change ports for these programs etc... It takes a bit more management of your traffic then without a router. You'll basicly just add these ports in the port forwarding section and associate em with the correct LAN IP. Once you got it all set up, it's easy to work with though.
But your computers behind it are much safer against possible hackers. If the port is not specifically opened and forwarded by you, it won't respond to annyone trying to access your PC through it. Ofcourse, some ports like port 80 (used by your internet explorer to view websites) is open already, just like the ports MSN uses, etc.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Myself just bought a router for that very specific usage, pc+laptop. I run just plugged the cable in and it worked :p

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Go for a wireless router, so you can use the laptop from anywhere in your house ;)

Get a list a potential routers, then check the manufacturer's website as it might have an online manual which you can view to see how comfortable you'd be setting it up(like the Netgear WGR614 support page gives you enough to read up on to before installing the router.

After you've found a potential router, google it to see if people are having problems with it. Or search the model number at DSL Reports.

Yes it'll take a lot of reading! so take it in over a few days/weeks :D

Deerstalker

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
Go for a wireless router, so you can use the laptop from anywhere in your house ;)

yes, even if you run everything from cables till you get network cards replaced , much better investment to get a wireless one,

wrt54g http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=601&scid=35

is a very cheap wireless g router, picked one up for 60E the other day.

put cables in and it worked first time, created password got security keys for the wifi cards, and worked first time too :D

DS.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
yes go for wireless one ofcourse :)
I'm here now, lying in my bed with my laptop wirelessly connected to the router downstairs, it's the best ;p
Too bad this things isnt good enough to play wow on yet... which is why I need a new one!! lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom