Concealed Speed Cameras!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Turns out that devices to detect speed cameras are to be banned (depending on what the device actually does, have a read).

And in other news, unsurprised to see that on the top ten list of "causes of accidents" speeding wasn't on it.

Bad driving by others causes crashes: survey

About half of all motorists have either been involved or were almost involved in an accident on the roads because of paying too much attention to someone else's bad driving.

That's the amazing statistic unearthed by Privilege Insurance, who reckons that four million crashes are caused by drivers taking evasive action to avoid others.

The company also found that the tell-tale signs which drivers use to identify potential troublemakers on the road are:

* Tailgating - 93 per cent
* Ignoring pedestrian crossings - 90 per cent
* Overtaking on the inside - 82 per cent
* Straddling lanes - 78 per cent
* Failing to use headlights - 78 per cent
* Failing to use indicators - 76 per cent
* Cutting corners or driving over hatched areas - 70 per cent
* Braking hard and fast - 67 per cent
* Constantly changing speed - 65 per cent
* Not reading traffic flows - 54 per cent

Note that speeding doesn't make the top ten at all.

From here

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Of course speeding wont make the list its from insurance claims. What muppet is going to say they were breaking the law when an accident happened.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
However, about half of those on the list can land you with a "driving without due care and attention" charge and tailgaiting could be considered as dangerous driving.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ukle said:
Of course speeding wont make the list its from insurance claims. What muppet is going to say they were breaking the law when an accident happened.

5 of the things on the list are specifically against the law, which kind of pisses on your bonfire doesn't it?

JingleBells

FH is my second home
You all fail to see that speed doesn't kill on its own, as a company executive proved, he was caught doing about 150MPH in is Honda NSX, but he proved he was in complete control of his vehicle and got away with it.
Bad Driving (as shown by virtually all of the survey results) is the main cause of accidents, but speed can be a deciding factor in the result of an accident. You can drive at speed without being dangerous if you are a competent driver, but if you aren't then you could kill someone in a reliant robin at 15mph.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Doesnt look like there is any way of avoiding this...Oh well I have to pay £60 and endorsement of 3 penalty points!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If it were me, I'd take it to court anyway, fuck them.

leggy

Probably Scottish
JingleBells said:
You all fail to see that speed doesn't kill on its own, as a company executive proved, he was caught doing about 150MPH in is Honda NSX, but he proved he was in complete control of his vehicle and got away with it.
Bad Driving (as shown by virtually all of the survey results) is the main cause of accidents, but speed can be a deciding factor in the result of an accident. You can drive at speed without being dangerous if you are a competent driver, but if you aren't then you could kill someone in a reliant robin at 15mph.

The problem with this is that everyone thinks they are a competent driver. Unfortunately it is not up to them to decide. Hence speed limits.

I suspect that the majority of people here who speed (and consider themselves excellent and in-control drivers) are in fact a real danger to themselves and everyone around them.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The issue isn't really that speed limits are wrong in themselves, but more in the way they are set and how they are enforced. Have a google for '85th percentile' to see what I mean.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Dys, one last thing - check if the NiP was issued by a police officer. Some camera partnerships use civilians to man the equipment, and NiPs issued by civilians are not legally enforceable.

You should be able to find out pretty easily, try www.pepipoo.com, or just phone the authority concerned and ask them.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Tom said:
The issue isn't really that speed limits are wrong in themselves, but more in the way they are set and how they are enforced. Have a google for '85th percentile' to see what I mean.

I agree. I was merely replying to jingle's post.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sorry someone has clearly been posting using my account.

I'll rephrase:

"It's all shit, you are shit, this forum is shit"

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Just got off my speeding :)

(not that it's a reason to celebrate, clearly I am a bad person)

I had two counts against me, 94 in 70 and 70 in a 50, but the court docs came through with the evidence incorrect. It took a year but they dropped all charges last week.

(it was a motorway at 10:30pm by the way, before you start)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Good job they didn't find the young boy in your boot though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom