WTF? Computer Issues........... still.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Right, so I thought I was out of the woods, I had an issue with my BF4 causing my PC to crash (Basically - the PC would shut off, but the fans would go absolutely mental) I thought, OK, that's fine, it's BF4, they're not exactly known for being the finest programmers in the world, so after some fixes, it seemed to be okay...

But then after trying to play Counterstrike - Global Offensive and Shogun Total War 2, my PC crashed with the same symptoms, twice in a 2 hour game of Shogun and 5 times in a 45 min game of CS:GO - I did manage to play the last 15 minutes or so without crashing...

The GPU isn't over-heating that seems to be fine, it's always running at 45C, so I looked at the CPU which peaked at around 70C, which I thought was acceptable, but to give it another chance I thought i'd open the side of the case up and put the curtain around it (so it's directly next to the window without the curtain separating it)

The peak temperature dropped down a whole 10 degrees, and (I think) the crashing has ceased, but shirley, it should really have a problem at 70C?

Temperatures are found using RealTemp.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or is it about time I call Scan up and get them to get a 'professional' to have a look at it?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
How old is the box and is there any obvious build up of dust inside it?

Gwadien

How old is the box and is there any obvious build up of dust inside it?
Hm, it's probably a month old now perhaps? So I really doubt it's dust, because the first instance is when I first got it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hm, it's probably a month old now perhaps? So I really doubt it's dust, because the first instance is when I first got it.
Right, well if it's that new and they built it then yes, hit Scan up.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i found i had a psu that had a temp monitor in it and it was crashing my pc and got another one.

Seems it is a temp issue with you maybe your psu is a bit touchy

mine was a silent psu which i then swapped fora noisey one and had no issues

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
take all the cards out and reseat them, and the ram
compressed air the whole thing
check your fans are actually plugged in/turning

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
take all the cards out and reseat them, and the ram
compressed air the whole thing
check your fans are actually plugged in/turning
if you built it yourself

Athan

Resident Freddy
As Mabs said, always check everything is fully seated in a machine after it's been travelling. It doesn't even need to have been dropped/dropped on, vibration can be enough to unseat something that was marginal.

Gwadien

or it was shipped by a courier ;)

DPD delivered mine, and the whole case was warped, someone had dropped something on it.. so always check :p
That would make the warranty void though wouldn't it?

Gwadien

no, that would make Overclockers very apologetic and pay for a rapid pickup/return ;)
Nah, I mean, if I reseated the cards, that would wouldn't it?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
its pretty standard practise, even when i got mine (2~ years ago), they shipped the gfx card seperately as they have been known to snap off in transit so dont worry about it

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
just remember that proper reseating is done with a spanner, while the PC is running. you need it running or you'll not know the card is seated properly like mate.

Gwadien

just remember that proper reseating is done with a spanner, while the PC is running. you need it running or you'll not know the card is seated properly like mate.
put my favourite aluminum gloves on too?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
only if they match your lipstick chum. you should know that!

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
may be nothing but one of my cores started playing up on my CPU, so I had to work through and shut each one down individually until I found the faulty one. I still run it with 3 cores but overclock it to use the other 2

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Gwadien - if scan built it and delivered it in that state get scan to take it back and rebuild it for you...

Gwadien

Spoke to them on their online chat thing- they want me to turn Asus Anti-Surge off... and if that fails they gave me the go-ahead to reseat stuffs.. sounds like they're cutting corners to me?

Himse

FH is my second home
Scan were really good when I got my PC from there.

I had to add some extra cooling tbh, but im not mad about a couple of case fans.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Gwadien

RMA'd?

I don't really want to re-seat it, i'm scared, think you should get on your bike mate :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
RMA'd?

I don't really want to re-seat it, i'm scared, think you should get on your bike mate :)
It means Return to manufacturer.
Contact the seller first as they may do it on your behalf. Amazon recently swapped a faulty drive out for me when I complained.

Gwadien

Hmm, gonna re-seat it later possibly, but I don't think it'll help, it seriously looks like hardware failure..

I just read on the scan website that with my particular PC, they don't pay for the P&P returns, which is a bit daft, since it's this early on and it's been doing it since I had it, that it's a hardware failure, rather than 'damaged'?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hmm, gonna re-seat it later possibly, but I don't think it'll help, it seriously looks like hardware failure..

I just read on the scan website that with my particular PC, they don't pay for the P&P returns, which is a bit daft, since it's this early on and it's been doing it since I had it, that it's a hardware failure, rather than 'damaged'?

Stop dicking about and get it done - or Scan'll say you've left it too long :p

As for P&P on returns - they should pick up the tab for a non-working system.

Nate

FH is my second home
Just leave the hammer on it for a few days, if that doesn't fix it. Use the hammer.

You are showing the computer you will use force if it doesn't comply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom