Company of Heroes

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
from the guys who did Dawn of War.

multiplayer beta just been released, its on Fileplanet as a subscriber only atm, should become public reasonably soon, due out september. one to watch imo. they also just opened the *planet* webby for it

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Yep I am in the MP beta that fileplanet released. And the game is frigging excellent. Defo one of the best RTS games I've ever played. And best WW2 themed game so far.

It's alot of tactics to play it, not just amass a load of troops then rush the enemy base. You need to suppress the enemy, flank em etc. Then micro alot and combine artillery fire with infantry backed up by light vehicles and tanks for maximum effect. And ofc set up defenses like tank traps and barbed wire, mines etc to stop the enemy at chokepoints.

All in all for WW2 buffs this is a must game, or even just if you are an RTS fan.

One downside atm tho is that lots of people are having problems connecting to games in the lobby, hopefully they will fix it asap as it can be quite annoying :p
But relic are defo one of the most involved devs I've seen, they post ALOT on beta boards and listen to the players when it comes to tweaking gameplay and fixing bugs.

If anyone maybe wants to set up an 1v1 or something one day I'm up for it;) I am Uncron ingame.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It's gone public now, I just got it. It's an evolution on DOW engine, I think the new expansion will have most of the features that COH has, but it's very good!

I'll play a bit online I think, I'll prob get raped, but oh well!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
It's really cool. A must for the RTS fan. I played through the SP demo/beta of it and just wanted MORE!
Release the 14th in the US and 29th in the Europe fellas :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Shit this game rocks based on what I have seen in the demo, it may well end up being the finest RTS of all time. It is not often I am desperate to play a game but I just can't wait for the release!

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, I really like the look of this game. I have ordered it from importmadness.com. Hopefully they won't fuck up like they do sometimes. But anyway, it'll deffo be here before the 29th so that's all that matters really.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Dillinja said:
Yeah, I really like the look of this game. I have ordered it from importmadness.com. Hopefully they won't fuck up like they do sometimes. But anyway, it'll deffo be here before the 29th so that's all that matters really.

I downloaded <cough> a copy while I wait for play.com to deliver mine, the game kicks arse :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Completed the game an hour ago, fucking awesome. Loads of missions and a good story as well. You can tell the game engine is based on the Warhammer 40k : Dawn of War engine but it is executed so much better, tactically it is vastly superior. I would recommend this game to anyone who even remotely likes RTS to be honest, it is that damn good.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It's good, but is it me or do the missions take far too long! Only a few missions in so far (Cherbourg I think).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
inactionman said:
It's good, but is it me or do the missions take far too long! Only a few missions in so far (Cherbourg I think).

A great game should have a variety of missions that take different amounts of time and CoH does but the majority are designed to take over an hour to complete. Personally I prefer this, feels like I am getting value for money which I didn't feel with Warhammer 2K : Dawn of War which was too short as was it's expansion pack in many ways unless you played all 4 alternate endings. I like long missions anyway, nothing better than establishing a good defensive base and then taking the map methodically sector by sector.

I haven't enjoyed a game this much in 2-3 years and I honestly don't think I have played a better RTS ever and although I am a real sucker for the Starcraft story CoH is just light years ahead as a tactical game.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
GAME are selling this in a limited edition which includes DOW GOTY edition for the same price as most webbys are selling just CoH.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ch3tan said:
GAME are selling this in a limited edition which includes DOW GOTY edition for the same price as most webbys are selling just CoH.

Now that is one sweet deal, thanks for the heads up.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
This game sounds great, hope it can knock Red Alert 2 from my top RTS game list. ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Mobius said:
This game sounds great, hope it can knock Red Alert 2 from my top RTS game list. ;)

It will, it is more strategic to play than RA2 and doesn't have as many faults, for example a tank zerg won't always work on every level. I have had two german rocket launcher guys sit behind a wall and drop 6 of my Sherman tanks in a matter of 15 seconds and I couldn't even hit the buggers till I flanked them because they had too much cover behind the sandbangs. The AI is pretty clever too, they will try flanking you or hitting you in a pincer movement quite often. Great game :)

Mabs

Order Placed: 11 September 2006 @ 01:34
Qty Description Price Total
1 Company of Heroes Limited Edition - GAME Exclusive

bloody hell, not ordered from GAME before - special editions ftw ! - are they usually this early on a release ?! :eek6:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yep. It's their 1st to play tagline thing, they aim to get you your game on or before release day so you dont regret ordering it online rather than simply popping down the shops on release day.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Mabs said:
Order Placed: 11 September 2006 @ 01:34
Qty Description Price Total
1 Company of Heroes Limited Edition - GAME Exclusive

bloody hell, not ordered from GAME before - special editions ftw ! - are they usually this early on a release ?! :eek6:

You still won't get it till thursday. i have ordered from Shopto.net dispatched today and it will arrive tomorrow coz of next day delivery.

Mabs

thought id stick this on here in case anyone needs it

Relic Online uses the following ports:

UDP 6112
UDP 30260

which is apparently different from the ones printed in manual :twak:

Aada

Part of the furniture
The mp side of the game is plagued with connection problems ;/ hope they sort it soon as this could be amazing online.

Mabs

Aada said:
The mp side of the game is plagued with connection problems ;/ hope they sort it soon as this could be amazing online.

yeah was same in beta. for DoW they used gamespy, for this they made 'Relic Online', from the ground up, to do all their own hosting. so im prepared to give them some time to fix it if it means not using shitty gamespy :D

but yeah its annoying, its somewhat better than it was at start of beta tho :)

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Bah, ill hold off buying it then. The memories of the beta have come flooded back!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Buy it now, while you can still get DOW with it, then buy WA and join us online until they sort out the CoH problems!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
MP Beta was quite decent for my part. Gonna see if the stores have it tomorrow:)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I take it back, a lower widescreen res for teh win! Because I did not enjoy playing at 6fps :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3t, do you have an Nvidia graphics card? If so you can downscale in the driver, and still ouput to the monitor at 1920x1200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom