Company of Heroes

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nah it's fine, monitor supports other resolutions just fine. New pootah before xmas anyway, so I shall be playing at 1920*1200 with all the pretty lights sonner rather than later.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
"I'm a little fuckin' busy!"

"What the fuck do you want?!"

"We need a bazooka for this shit!"

My soldiers don't respect me. :eek:

Seriously though, the voice acting (and the sound in general) is brilliant on this game. The way that the soldiers sound stressed out if you select them when they are in a dangerous situation was a nice touch, rather than the generic "Yessir?" from other strategy games.

It's definitely the little touches like this that separate good games from great games in my opinion.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Dillinja said:
"I'm a little fuckin' busy!"

"What the fuck do you want?!"

"We need a bazooka for this shit!"

My soldiers don't respect me. :eek:

Seriously though, the voice acting (and the sound in general) is brilliant on this game. The way that the soldiers sound stressed out if you select them when they are in a dangerous situation was a nice touch, rather than the generic "Yessir?" from other strategy games.

It's definitely the little touches like this that separate good games from great games in my opinion.

go look at the official forums
marvel at the americans pulling the "i let my 6 year old play a 15 rated game, where people get blown up, burnt and generally slaughtered, which is fine.. but you put SWEARING IN IT?!?!?!?! OMG !!!!!" :mad:

Aada

Part of the furniture
Played my first multiplayer game last night and WOW this game is just awsome fire fights are so intense and when i see that Panzer coming round the corner i actually feel scared and think 'fuck' :D

Great game maybe we should get some team games going? :D

Mabs

you also HAVE to push up, as soon as possible, you cant turtle

well you can , tank traps, wire, etc... but all the heavy tanks can go through them without slowing down - Tiger, Tiger Ace, and Panther depending on which patch your on ;) and the Crocodile with a dozer blade

Aada

Part of the furniture
Mabs said:
you also HAVE to push up, as soon as possible, you cant turtle

well you can , tank traps, wire, etc... but all the heavy tanks can go through them without slowing down - Tiger, Tiger Ace, and Panther depending on which patch your on ;) and the Crocodile with a dozer blade

I just won a game now and i was aggressive from the start pushing up and harrassing the points he was capturing and stopping him from getting that essential fuel the Axis needs to get the super tanks out.

Fantastic game loved every minute of it so far.

Mabs

Aada said:
I just won a game now and i was aggressive from the start pushing up and harrassing the points he was capturing and stopping him from getting that essential fuel the Axis needs to get the super tanks out.

Fantastic game loved every minute of it so far.

not entirely true ;)

Blitzkrieg doctrine gets tigers for 22pop 1k MP
Terror doctrine get tiger ace , never use it tho :D

only MP tho. panthers need fuel obv, but if you go those ^ its no biggy :)

same with pershings

oh, and not the most practical , but try 6 or so Stuka Zu Fuss (rocket halftracks) for the lol effect :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
This game is incredibly unstable on my PC. Have lowered the res, turned down settings and it still crashes at random.

It's going to need a few patches before I am happy playing it without getting annoyed.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Dillinja said:
Seriously though, the voice acting (and the sound in general) is brilliant on this game.
You must not have played as Axis yet :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Okay if anyone else is having difficulties, I changed video driver -that did not help.

Updated bios - crashing stopped.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I bought it . Its not crashed or anything, though Ive never played a RTS before and Im crap at it :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Hope us freddies can get a few team games going one time the game is sheer class with 1v1 and i can only imagine it being sheer mayhem on a 2v2 :)

Mabs

Aada said:
Hope us freddies can get a few team games going one time the game is sheer class with 1v1 and i can only imagine it being sheer mayhem on a 2v2 :)

try the 4v4 maps :drink:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive never played a rts thing before except rommel vs monty, which i couldnt understand at all, however this thing is pretty good :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Just ordered mine from PC World, £19.99 after a £10 discount voucher that's going around the web isn't bad! Makes me feel a lot more honest after playing with a dodgy copy for a bit, and i'll be able to play online.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Don't bother Clown, it's going that cheap if you look around anyway.

It's really not as fun as Dow. Just something about it that doesn't feel right. A very good game, but DoW still holds for me as the benchmark for RTS games.

Mabs

Ch3tan said:
It's really not as fun as Dow.

take 1 small axis grenadier, solo surviver from his squad. insert him into a dead end alley he ran into by accident. add sherman tank with crab mine clearing flail. chase said grenadier around till you catch him with it, watch the bits fly :drink:

Aada

Part of the furniture
DoW was great but it all came down to who had the most units at the end of the day, wasn't really any tactics involved just felt like Red Alert build the biggest army possible and hope the other guy has less units.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Aada said:
DoW was great but it all came down to who had the most units at the end of the day, wasn't really any tactics involved just felt like Red Alert build the biggest army possible and hope the other guy has less units.

Yep, CoH is a far more tactical game than DoW. The introduction of buildings that you can garrison and cover is the key to that, the smaller units can hold off much stronger opposition for ages if they have the right cover, in DoW cover was all about hiding in craters but you got no actual sense of taking cover. Also putting snipers in tall buldings gives a major advantage, you can effectively hold the enemy in check for ages just by picking off thier engineers who are trying to grab resource/strategic points points with your snipers.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
inactionman said:
Ch3t, do you have an Nvidia graphics card? If so you can downscale in the driver, and still ouput to the monitor at 1920x1200.

How do I turn that on? Wouldn't mind running at 1440x900 and letting the card upscale it to 1680x1050, should be a nice performance boost.

Aada

Part of the furniture
cHodAX said:
Yep, CoH is a far more tactical game than DoW. The introduction of buildings that you can garrison and cover is the key to that, the smaller units can hold off much stronger opposition for ages if they have the right cover, in DoW cover was all about hiding in craters but you got no actual sense of taking cover. Also putting snipers in tall buldings gives a major advantage, you can effectively hold the enemy in check for ages just by picking off thier engineers who are trying to grab resource/strategic points points with your snipers.

I started playing Axis yesterday (totally different tactics required from Allies.) Snipers really annoyed me at the start but now i always have 2 scout cars on stand by to kill any snipers. And if they are in buildings i take 2 mortor teams to bring that building down.

I also love how tanks go crashing through walls etc makes the game feel authentic.

Mabs

axis motorbikes, and allied jeeps always beat snipers, they are the best counter. even garrisoned ones

also, for some random reason , allies Rangers can see hidden units from miles away, snipers and the axis anti tank guns mainly which is a neat trick or annoyance depending which side your on :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
As I am rubbish at describing tactics, I will leave it till Wij reads this to point out why DoW is more tactical than you describe -maybe not vanilla DoW, but WA definetly.

Remember Dark Crusade will have many of the features added to the engine for CoH, giving DoW much more variety in online play with 7 races to play with and against.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
How do I turn that on? Wouldn't mind running at 1440x900 and letting the card upscale it to 1680x1050, should be a nice performance boost.

Under 'Display' under the Nvidia control panel, in 'Change Flat panel scaling'.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Ch3tan said:
As I am rubbish at describing tactics, I will leave it till Wij reads this to point out why DoW is more tactical than you describe -maybe not vanilla DoW, but WA definetly.

Remember Dark Crusade will have many of the features added to the engine for CoH, giving DoW much more variety in online play with 7 races to play with and against.

I'm not saying DoW is a bad game it is excellent but when i was playing DoW it all came down to how many units you had, cover wasn't really an issue as it was basic cover and nothing else.

Sure ok different units were good at killing other units but they were weak vs another unit but that type of gameplay has been in RTS for a while now.

I do love DoW though but my time with the game has passed.

I just like the fact that in CoH even when the odds are stacked against you there is still a way to pull it back and gain control again in DoW if they had more units then you then you could kiss you're nice army/base good night. In fact if i remember correctly when DoW first came out alot of people found it better to just ignore the enemy units and trounce his base as the structures fell very easily.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
inactionman said:
Under 'Display' under the Nvidia control panel, in 'Change Flat panel scaling'.

Anyone with an ATI card can do the same by the way, go to the displays tab, click on display, and check the "scale image to panal" option. Thats with the old control center not the shitty catlyst control center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom