Coffee freaks

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
well, seeing as you've been drinking coffee for most of your life, and this started "two weeks ago", makes me Occam you into a nordic hayfever thing. The pollens are prolly shaped like little viking helmets or something :)

sayward

Resident Freddy
I prefer espresso. Simple. Nothing so far has beat Illy in a traditional Italian "kettle" (don't know the name for them). Costa are shit, I prefer Nero. Latte is just wrong.
It's called a Mocca Express.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
bump

I was at a customers house today and they made me a coffee from their Tassimo (bosch) machine, it was so good. Anyone got one, are they ok?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My mum has one, loves it. I have had a few out of it and it's not as good as my coffee maker but better than ground instant and very convenient.

Last edited:

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
My mum has one, loves it. I have had a few out of it and it's not as good as my coffee maker but better than ground and very convenient.

Had one for quiet some time and have to agree. Love the crunchy noise it makes!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have a Nespresso Machine which makes good coffee.

But I also have one of these:
Bialetti : moka express

The coffee from that is amazing!
Obviously you need to find a ground coffee that you really like!

I don't drink it as espresso as it's too intense for me so make an "Americano" by diluting it with hot water

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's the coffee beans that make the good coffee - the machine is less important than that.

TdC

meeeeeeehhhh I'd say it's a bit of both tbh. I have a 'good' coffee machine that I use to make upper middle class coffee. I don't go for the high end beans because they're much much much more expensive. Because of my machine, I can get away with lesser beans and still pull a bearable espresso.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
we have a fancy machine at place im working now, grinds beans and makes awesome coffee, very customisable too (strength, temp etc)

downside is that the coffee at home now seems bad :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
meeeeeeehhhh I'd say it's a bit of both tbh. I have a 'good' coffee machine that I use to make upper middle class coffee. I don't go for the high end beans because they're much much much more expensive. Because of my machine, I can get away with lesser beans and still pull a bearable espresso.

As long as you grind finely enough and get enough pressure from your machine, you're fine. IMO coffee machines are a bit like audiophile hifi - diminishing returns. But I can get superb coffee with great crema from good beans (I use Pollards in Sheffield) with an average machine. If I use the supermarket stuff, no matter what, it comes out looking and tasting like shite.

Anyhow, I'm considering an upgrade to one of these:

Lever Coffee Machine. Micro House Lever S1 | Elektra

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
also, when it comes to espresso I gather there are two types of people: the very anal geek types who mess about with heads, boilers, roasting their own beans, etc, and the people who really can't be arsed and tend to either have fully automated machines or Nespressos.
And people who just mix nescafe with various types of milk and amounts of sugar to get the same taste.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah some people have such under developed palets that they can't tell the difference. Poor fuckers :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've finally twigged what high end coffee making at home actually is; its pipe-smoking for Millennials. Its the same endless fucking around, with half an hour's effort to get a two minute hit. Only with added cleaning up afterwards. If this was the 1950s you'd be having the same conversation about Rough Shag and Meerschaums.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The same could be said about any food and drink.

I spent about 4 hours last weekend preparing my mums dinner for mothers day. Smoked salmon souffle starter, beef Wellington main and apple and raspberry crumble pudding.

I could have got her a box meal but the extra work is worth it.

I don't think 10 minutes making a good coffee is that bad, most of the bits on my machine that get dirty can just be washed in the sink anyway.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm not a huge coffee drinker as more than 1 cup gives me heartburn, but we do have a Nespresso at work, and the Ristoretto Origin India capsules are lovely (think they're the strongest ones). Also have a coffee machine at home (just a fairly normal Kenwood jobbie) but rarely use it, on the rare occasion I'll have a coffee at home I'll just borrow the missus' Douwe Egberts stuff.

Do love caffeine however, but not liking coffee or tea means I get through a fairly large amount of Energy Drinks :/

Which reminds me, must get another Relentless from the fridge.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My bother in-law gets monster energy drinks for free, as much as he can carry, he works for the merc F1 team. Horrible stuff, every time we go round there it comes out.

Bodhi

Not a fan of most of them, apart from Relentless Origin which just tastes like any other fizzy pop, and Mountain Dew, especially if I'm in the States. I swear the Dew over there has like cocaine or something in it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The same could be said about any food and drink.

I spent about 4 hours last weekend preparing my mums dinner for mothers day. Smoked salmon souffle starter, beef Wellington main and apple and raspberry crumble pudding.

I could have got her a box meal but the extra work is worth it.

I don't think 10 minutes making a good coffee is that bad, most of the bits on my machine that get dirty can just be washed in the sink anyway.

Yes but cooking has always been around. When smoking stopped being a thing, the universe needed to fill in the gap. Fiddling around making things endlessly complicated is obviously a deep seated male need (and it is male, you rarely see women going full nerd about espresso machines and kenyan v colombian).

Bodhi

Yes but cooking has always been around. When smoking stopped being a thing, the universe needed to fill in the gap. Fiddling around making things endlessly complicated is obviously a deep seated male need (and it is male, you rarely see women going full nerd about espresso machines and kenyan v colombian).

Smoking is very much still a thing, and I would argue the pipe has been replaced by all the various gadgets you can buy for vaping purposes. Never been too interested myself as I'd rather just have a Marlboro, but there's a pretty big market out there now for vaping bits and pieces.

Job

Yeah some people have such under developed palets that they can't tell the difference. Poor fuckers :(
Lol, coffee has gone down the same road as wine, baristas ffs..they make coffee.
I'm going to invent a sophisticated name for tuna sandwhich makers, bang out a shed load of fancy tunas and dedicated tuna mixing machines, make up a wall full of tuna recipes with names like fujian...sandbank..then run some tv adverts putting down ordinary tuna sandwhich eaters, pay some celebs to eat fancy tuna in trendy situations and sit back and watch the world suck up a new invisible coat.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Again, there is a difference between cheap wine and expensive wine (up to a point, fuck anything over £20, you are getting into the realms of pretentious bollocks there)

But I challenge you to drink a middle of the road bottle and compare it to a cheapo bottle, there will be a notable difference.

Job

I don't really understand why it took so long for wine to be made to corporate standards, for most of my life buying wine was a lottery, the same make could taste like shit the next week, I was thinking, why doesn't someone like Coke step in and make cheap, nice tasting wine.
Eventually they did with the 5-10 quid bottles you get in Tescos...mass produced,.McDonalds wine that only the armchair wine taster could pretend not to like.
It's just grape flavoured alcopop ffs.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
At the end of the day the wines just there to get you pissed. Just some people like to pretend they drink it just for the taste.

TdC

As long as you grind finely enough and get enough pressure from your machine, you're fine. IMO coffee machines are a bit like audiophile hifi - diminishing returns. But I can get superb coffee with great crema from good beans (I use Pollards in Sheffield) with an average machine. If I use the supermarket stuff, no matter what, it comes out looking and tasting like shite.

Anyhow, I'm considering an upgrade to one of these:

Lever Coffee Machine. Micro House Lever S1 | Elektra

ha, that looks awesome. I had you up for something like this, or some hyper modern thing that would automatically adjust it's grind to the air's moisture content or something :)

TdC

And people who just mix nescafe with various types of milk and amounts of sugar to get the same taste.

whenever my mum told me the taste would be the same or I'd not be able to tell the difference, I knew it would be shite.

TdC

Lol, coffee has gone down the same road as wine, baristas ffs..they make coffee.
I'm going to invent a sophisticated name for tuna sandwhich makers, bang out a shed load of fancy tunas and dedicated tuna mixing machines, make up a wall full of tuna recipes with names like fujian...sandbank..then run some tv adverts putting down ordinary tuna sandwhich eaters, pay some celebs to eat fancy tuna in trendy situations and sit back and watch the world suck up a new invisible coat.
is this another Job vs the World rant? Well trained baristas tend to make a damn fine cup of coffee, because you know...they know what they're doing. Bit like those highly skilled electricians from abroad you're always banging on about. That aside, go for it Job. Build your tuna empire. Live the dream.

I don't really understand why it took so long for wine to be made to corporate standards, for most of my life buying wine was a lottery, the same make could taste like shit the next week, I was thinking, why doesn't someone like Coke step in and make cheap, nice tasting wine.
Eventually they did with the 5-10 quid bottles you get in Tescos...mass produced,.McDonalds wine that only the armchair wine taster could pretend not to like.
It's just grape flavoured alcopop ffs.

Tbh I'd hazard a guess that your lack of success comes down to you being a bit clueless re wine, just like most people are. Perhaps a bit more than some, given your last remark.

At the end of the day the wines just there to get you pissed. Just some people like to pretend they drink it just for the taste.
wow, ok, I guess it's a cultural thing but me, I don't drink good wines, beers, spirits, what have you to get pissed. Naturally sometimes it is inevitable, but if I'm hitting the good stuff I do my best to be able to experience it fully. That usually means having lots of still water in between glasses and trying to keep my wits about me.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I drink a lot of coffee.
For a quick brew I use Nescafe Azera Intenso instant. It's an instant much yards better than any other I've tasted.
At the weekend/evenings I've got one of these Smarter Coffee Maker. Press a button on my phone from bed or couch, a little while later a notification to tell me my freshly ground coffee is ready. (If you are an Android user take the feature list with a pinch of salt)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom