Coffee freaks

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I recently spend a week in Norway filming a bloke whose interests included making decent coffees. And boy did he have his craft in fine fettle. His lattes were things of beauty, drinks so divine I wanted to jump in and swim around in them. I've had a Francis Francis X1 coffee machine for a few years and it makes ok coffees, but I could never quite make the "god shots" that experienced baristas do.

Until today's purchase:

tom coffee.jpg

The machine in the centre is a Mahlkonig Vario, basically a good quality coffee grinder (the Francis Francis is on the right). It's bloody brilliant. It grinds beans into the consistency of flour (if you want it to), which means that unlike the freeze-dried crap I used to buy, I get a full-bodied espresso with a decent crema on top. The difference in taste is remarkable, the freeze-dried stuff was oooohh keeeyyy but comparing it to freshly-ground coffee from beans roasted only today, it's like the difference between powdered milk and the full fat unpasteurised stuff that's just come out of the cow.

Now all I have to do is fix the leaky steam wand and I should be away. Of course some of you will drink instant coffee, in which case you're ignorant fucking philistines :D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I recently spend a week in Norway filming a bloke whose interests included making decent coffees. And boy did he have his craft in fine fettle. His lattes were things of beauty, drinks so divine I wanted to jump in and swim around in them. I've had a Francis Francis X1 coffee machine for a few years and it makes ok coffees, but I could never quite make the "god shots" that experienced baristas do.

Until today's purchase:

View attachment 9100

The machine in the centre is a Mahlkonig Vario, basically a good quality coffee grinder (the Francis Francis is on the right). It's bloody brilliant. It grinds beans into the consistency of flour (if you want it to), which means that unlike the freeze-dried crap I used to buy, I get a full-bodied espresso with a decent crema on top. The difference in taste is remarkable, the freeze-dried stuff was oooohh keeeyyy but comparing it to freshly-ground coffee from beans roasted only today, it's like the difference between powdered milk and the full fat unpasteurised stuff that's just come out of the cow.

Now all I have to do is fix the leaky steam wand and I should be away. Of course some of you will drink instant coffee, in which case you're ignorant fucking philistines :D
Ooooh, I have a Nespresso machine which produces "ok" coffee. How much?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nespressos are actually pretty good but unless I'm mistaken aren't they pods only? In which case a grinder would be useless to you.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nespressos are actually pretty good but unless I'm mistaken aren't they pods only? In which case a grinder would be useless to you.
Yes they are pods only and do offer many different type of bean. I have been thinking of buying a grinder and then a coffee "maker" but have never gotten around to it. My Nespresso sees a lot of use. Every morning I have at least two to wake me up but I think it is a false economy. The pods cost around 25p each (could be wrong, don't look at what I am buying).

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Nespresso makes very good coffee, much better than buying beans and grinding them in my opinion. I've had to find what Nespresso coffees are good by trial and error, my favourite is Indriya.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nespresso makes very good coffee, much better than buying beans and grinding them in my opinion. I've had to find what Nespresso coffees are good by trial and error, my favourite is Indriya.
I'll go check what I drink but generally it is a 9 or 10 on their scaling system.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

lol. omg G. I'll agree that Nespresso (machines + pods) make a fairly good coffee, but it simply pales to insignificance beside a well-pulled espresso from a decent machine, from good beans.

Tom, you've sorted my end of school year pressie to myself, so cheers for that. I have a basic QuickMill 820 espresso maker, and a basic bean grinder. Although it is of a quality that allows me to grind beans fine as I like, I do not have ultimate control and while my coffee is nice enough for me the quality is not always consistent.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Surely a decent espresso is due to the quality of the bean AND the pressure of the coffee maker? All these home consumer coffee machines just do not match the pressure of the real deal or am I totally wrong?

TdC

not entirely: you can get consumer machines that deliver the proper pressure and correct temperatures. My QuickMill is *very* basic, but has a fairly good boiler and pump. Even so, it cost 550 euros which I can understand may be more than some are willing to pay. My dream machine would be an E61 group QuickMill Anita, or something similar (http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/quickmillanita) Once again, a faiirly basic machine although the E61 is awesome. Still, it costs a thousand dollahollas, which means that it will probably be around the 1k euro price point as well.

TdC

also, when it comes to espresso I gather there are two types of people: the very anal geek types who mess about with heads, boilers, roasting their own beans, etc, and the people who really can't be arsed and tend to either have fully automated machines or Nespressos.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
not entirely: you can get consumer machines that deliver the proper pressure and correct temperatures. My QuickMill is *very* basic, but has a fairly good boiler and pump. Even so, it cost 550 euros which I can understand may be more than some are willing to pay. My dream machine would be an E61 group QuickMill Anita, or something similar (http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/quickmillanita) Once again, a faiirly basic machine although the E61 is awesome. Still, it costs a thousand dollahollas, which means that it will probably be around the 1k euro price point as well.
Thanks, will research over the weekend. Think yourself an unlucky person, when the Euro fails you are in shit street :p Long live sterling! Fuck yeh!

Nate

FH is my second home
£350 for a grinder :oops:

I have the same francis, just use a cheap grinder though. That makes a difference? oO

old.user4556

Well teeds it depends on your yard stick for "good coffee", how you like it and what you're prepared to pay for a machine to get it that way. The Nespresso is very good for the money (not to mention sheer lazy boy ease), but you're right it won't make a Costa's americano.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well teeds it depends on your yard stick for "good coffee", how you like it and what you're prepared to pay for a machine to get it that way. The Nespresso is very good for the money (not to mention sheer lazy boy ease), but you're right it won't make a Costa's americano.
But Costa are shit....

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I had a coffee from McDonalds today. Or whatever stuff they disguise to make a McCoffee

old.user4556

Deebs said:
But Costa are shit....

Like I say, depends on your yard stick for "good coffee".

Some people like lattes, I think they're rank hot coffee flavoured milk.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Like I say, depends on your yard stick for "good coffee".

Some people like lattes, I think they're rank hot coffee flavoured milk.
I prefer espresso. Simple. Nothing so far has beat Illy in a traditional Italian "kettle" (don't know the name for them). Costa are shit, I prefer Nero. Latte is just wrong.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh and I have NO sugar in any coffee or tea. Anyone who does is not a coffee/tea drinker.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
+1

Sugar in tea is revolting.

But sucking tea through a penguin is nice

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
+1

Sugar in tea is revolting.

But sucking tea through a penguin is nice
Why not leave it at NO SUGAR in coffee or tea is the only way to taste the real flavour? Where the fuck do penguins comes into it? Dozy cunt.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
£350 for a grinder :oops:

I have the same francis, just use a cheap grinder though. That makes a difference? oO

Depends how fine your grinder goes, and how consistent the grinds are with regard to size. How long does it take to pour an espresso on your machine? Should be a minimum of 20 seconds from first drop until last, with a nice creamy head.

old.user4556

I have a splash of brown sugar in my coffee.

Don't make me write a nose joke in this thread.............

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Depends how fine your grinder goes, and how consistent the grinds are with regard to size. How long does it take to pour an espresso on your machine? Should be a minimum of 20 seconds from first drop until last, with a nice creamy head.
The crema (creamy head as you said) is dependant on the pressure of the water coming thru the system not how long it lasts for.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

DO NOT FUCKING START!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Clitoris stimulator (shit on nose whilst munching the vag) I can live with (from behind).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The crema (creamy head as you said) is dependant on the pressure of the water coming thru the system not how long it lasts for.

Yes but that pressure is much reduced with larger grinds.

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
I prefer espresso. Simple. Nothing so far has beat Illy in a traditional Italian "kettle" (don't know the name for them).

I know exactly what you mean - I have several Italian friends with them and the coffee that they can produce is just a cut above anything else.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I know exactly what you mean - I have several Italian friends with them and the coffee that they can produce is just a cut above anything else.
It can NEVER be beat. I also have the means to make that coffee but in the morning I just cannot be arssed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom