CoD Modern Warfare 2

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just heard alot of people are cancelling their pre-order as there is no server files and it will be using the "ranked" match making system. Also the Downloadable Content (DLC) will cost money...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah I just read this. Looks like absolute shit; I was planning on buying this, but I'm not so sure now.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
sounds like once again pc owners been treated like console nubs.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
already cancelled my pre-order.

Will torrent the singleplayer.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Other than the DLC costing money (patches an such?), i don't think i understand...lol

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Basically, for the longest time it's been that when you connect to a multiplayer on a PC you're connecting to a dedicated server. That is to say a computer with a very very fast internet connection (or a phat pipe if you like) that is dedicated to the task of hosting online games. This means that more people have a chance of getting very good pings (delay between you clicking fire, the server informing you that your request to fire has been acknowledged).

The alternative that seems to be what's happening on COD:MW2 is peer to peer. That means that someone sets up a game and hosts it on his own computer/net connection. That means people will have much poorer pings, and the more people connected to the game the worse the performance will be. It's the way Xbox Live and I believe the PS3 network has always worked - and it works *ok* but shooters on consoles are by nature much less precise and can get away with it. Also, frequently, console games have a much lower limit on how many people can join a game.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Not only that but in many cases they simply dont process movement or shots accurately.

I could roll off about 50+fps games where non-dedicated servers had serious issues and should only ever have been used for offline testing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A hugely bad move on their part. I don't torrent games any more, haven't done for some time. I will make an exception for this though.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Not only are they charging full console price for this game, but they are going to charge for DLC AND not include what's been standard for all PC shooters the last 15 years even after Operation Flashpoint 2's utter failure multiplayer wise due to the lack of dedicated servers, or an even better example - FarCry2 which to my knowledge is still unplayable for the PC version due to a broken matchmaking system.

Yeah, fuck Infinity Ward and fuck Activision.

The sad part is that this is probably just a way for them to say that PC isn't worth developing for anymore.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Other than the DLC costing money (patches an such?), i don't think i understand...lol

ALso lets say I am hosting a game and I decide I want to go to bed. Bye bye every, you get disconnected when I disconnect.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
ALso lets say I am hosting a game and I decide I want to go to bed. Bye bye every, you get disconnected when I disconnect.
I've read that that's not the case - apparently there's a slight pause while hosting gets handed to another player.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I've read that that's not the case - apparently there's a slight pause while hosting gets handed to another player.

you know what i love most about multiplayer games ?
its not the fact that is fast paced, and fun
its not even the fact you get to shoot your mate in the face,
or even "schooling newbz"
its those "slight pauses" when your in the middle of doing something that really make it for me....

nath

Fledgling Freddie
you know what i love most about multiplayer games ?
its not the fact that is fast paced, and fun
its not even the fact you get to shoot your mate in the face,
or even "schooling newbz"
its those "slight pauses" when your in the middle of doing something that really make it for me....
Hey yeah, I wasn't apologising for it - it's fucking shit. Just getting the facts straight :).

Mabs

689618845_tgR5U-L.jpg

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Are we sure it's peer 2 peer servers, and not a dedicated farm of servers maintained by the publisher as well?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yes mate, There's a massive thread on overclockers forum about it too. They can fo with this game as far as I'm concerned.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm getting it on 360 anyway, never had a single problem with the servers on cod4, bet they change their tune about the pc version IF sales slack. However considering the hype around this title, I doubt they give a shit if a few hardcore gamers pirate it instead.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Not only are they charging full console price for this game, but they are going to charge for DLC AND not include what's been standard for all PC shooters the last 15 years
You do know they're charging upward of £55+ for the standard console version aswell right, and why is that? Because people will pay it. Same I'm assuming can only go for the DLC, even for PC players.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You do know they're charging upward of £55+ for the standard console version aswell right, and why is that? Because people will pay it. Same I'm assuming can only go for the DLC, even for PC players.

No they are not, standard version of the game on 360 and ps3 is £34.99, it's the limited editions that are more.

Helme

Resident Freddy

The reason PC games are cheaper than console games is not because people won't pay the price, but because the developers gets the same amount of money as a console sale either way due to the fact that Sony/Microsoft are selling their consoles at a loss knowing that the extra game fee's they charge publishers will make up for it.

So in this case, it's extremely greedy.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
No they are not, standard version of the game on 360 and ps3 is £34.99, it's the limited editions that are more.
I've been misinformed if that's the case then, I was talking to a bloke in GAME a few weeks ago about it, so I was just going by what he said. Even still though, Play.com and Amazon are both selling it for £45, which is still a tad more than the usual price of a game these days.

And Helme, I know ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Cheapest I can find it on X360 is 38 quid which is a bit much if you ask me.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
pre-order prices online seem to have risen, I was in a gamestation store on Sat and they had it £34.99 still for pre order instore.

I can almost guarantee you that given the competitive nature of the stores at the moment, due to the recession and supermarkets pricing power, that it will be cheaper on the day if there are copies in stock.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The pc players are whining over nothing peer to peer has been going on xbox live for ages now and you know what? It works fucking fine tbh you will rarely join a COD game and get lag any sort of lag that is.

I get picked as the host all the time when I played cod waw on my 20mb line and never had any complaints.

Try it before you moan like little babies tbh.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aada, you do frequently post a massive load of bollocks so that post should be of no surprise to me but really that was an incredible amount of ill-informed bullshit.

Mabs

Aada, you do frequently post a massive load of bollocks so that post should be of no surprise to me but really that was an incredible amount of ill-informed bullshit.

i was going to reply, but i really cba, so, er, what he said :iagree:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The pc players are whining over nothing peer to peer has been going on xbox live for ages now and you know what? It works fucking fine tbh you will rarely join a COD game and get lag any sort of lag that is.

I get picked as the host all the time when I played cod waw on my 20mb line and never had any complaints.

Try it before you moan like little babies tbh.

Auto aim and a hole host of other bullshit also helps cover up latency.

Console FPS games are the spawn of Satan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom