Cluster Fail? See latest cluster news...

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
What about people who paid for a CE to get in early and make sure they got character names they had been using in multiple MMOs before WAR and were very attached to them, who lost a bunch of those names in the first forced move, and are now faced with the prospect of losing even MORE of them? Can't you understand how gutted players who actually care about their characters will feel? More to the point, why the bloody hell was Hirn suddenly hammered out of the blue like this with no warning whatsoever? Why is the community being split up and shunted around against their will AGAIN when we'd just about found our feet and turned into a real community after the first forced move? What are we supposed be, a bunch of nomads wandering from server to server at GOA's whim?

money..... :m00:

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Ah well, my namesake, Tetley, had to change name :-(
Never mind, that is the least of my worries in all this debacle.

dont worry teltey is probably trademarked anyway........ so you wouldnt have it for long :-( :m00:

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
so what do you do to those ppl that dont WANT to move?

Now wouldn't it be fun if the people from - say Azgal and K8P - booted up characters on all the transfer out servers, to play there all next week :flame:

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Ancient Shadows and most of the rest of the Evil League of Evil alliance are safely installed on Karak-Norn now (or close to being sorted out). There are still stragglers to sort out and its going to take some time to get it all the admin done. Last night was a haze of guild/alliance admin.

However...

...we logged on into Karak-Norn and went straight into fights the size of which we only generally saw on Karak-Hirn during specially planned events by either side. I know a lot of the nay-sayers won't want to hear this but there were words like 'fun' and non-words like 'rofl' being used quite often.

I'm unhappy that all the planning we put into carefully choosing a server before the launch of WAR retail has come to naught and that I've lost my character 'identity' but I'm happy that we are now likely to get more RvR every night of the when week we want it.

Another upside is we were able to sort out the guild colours, since although the previous colours looked good on paper, in practice they were quite 'muddy' in appearance. We've also been able to re-choose some of the tactic points, having much more experience than when WAR started.

Sadly, Roo Stercogburn is now dead.

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
dont worry teltey is probably trademarked anyway........ so you wouldnt have it for long :-( :m00:

Unfortunately probably true, although I have had the char for a lot of years now in a number of MMO's, including many years in DAOC. The only game that has forced me to change it is LOTRO, who wouldn't even let me have Tetlee either.

I doubt if Tetley (the brewery or the tea) will be too upset about me using it, it's been my nickname irl for a while as well, but I will not worry about losing it overmuch.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I doubt if Tetley (the brewery or the tea) will be too upset about me using it,

What would happen if the wanted to take any breach of copyright to court? Would GOA be forced to provide subscriber information? Not saying it's going to happen, just would like to know :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
What would happen if the wanted to take any breach of copyright to court? Would GOA be forced to provide subscriber information? Not saying it's going to happen, just would like to know :)

It'd be GOA to be sued if anything should happen, since they own the character. You're just allowed to use it.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Well, I just tried to transfer my 3 mains to Norn, figuring that I might at least play with the few guildies that are bothering to stay with WAR after this latest GOA débacle for the remaining 2 months or so before my sub runs out - and none of those 3 character names are available. I went to an awful lot of trouble to get the names I wanted for my toons - some of which I've used in MMOs for 7-8 years and am deeply attached to - on the day the early start went live, I've already had 3 of those (including my absolute favourite) stripped from me by a forced GOA move, and now I'd have to lose ALL the rest? No. Enough already. I'm not paying my hard-earned money for shabby treatment like this any more.

Fuck it, that's it - I'm done with WAR in Europe. I bought the CE to get in early and now I feel like I shouldn't even have bothered.

GOA, I hope you're proud of yourselves - you just managed to lose a whole pile of players and their subs almost overnight, by killing a perfectly good server for no good reason whatsoever and royally pissing off a hell of a lot of people in the process. Well done.

_______

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I just tried to transfer my 3 mains to Norn, figuring that I might at least play with the few guildies that are bothering to stay with WAR after this latest GOA débacle for the remaining 2 months or so before my sub runs out - and none of those 3 character names are available.

Fuck it, that's it - I'm done with WAR in Europe. I bought the CE to get in early and now I feel like I shouldn't even have bothered.

GOA, I hope you're proud of yourselves - you just managed to lose a whole pile of players and their subs almost overnight, by killing a perfectly good server for no good reason whatsoever and royally pissing off a hell of a lot of people in the process. Well done.

.:(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Now wouldn't it be fun if the people from - say Azgal and K8P - booted up characters on all the transfer out servers, to play there all next week :flame:

that would be great fun. but i suspect GOA wouldn't give a rats ass. they'd close the server even if the entire hirn pop stayed put. and would just randomly move ppl to other servers by force.

i think this is down to GOA being so fucking scared of a repeat of the english language DAoC servers they are panicing at the slightest bit of imaginary "pop issue".

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Well, I just tried to transfer my 3 mains to Norn, figuring that I might at least play with the few guildies that are bothering to stay with WAR after this latest GOA débacle for the remaining 2 months or so before my sub runs out - and none of those 3 character names are available.

Mate, our server was dying, it just hadn't keeled over and been buried yet. If you looked at the trend in the lower tiers and the difficulty in organising realm level events it becomes more obvious. The timing with regard to the Bitter Rivals event and 1.2 is unfortunate, but realistically there was never going to be a 'good' time to do it.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
part of the problem then is the horrendously top heavy game mechanic.

Even on Hirn T4 rvr was already just a massive zerg fest, prone to awful lagging and client crashes. If they are saying we had a low pop, then it shows that even now noone new is playing through the early tiers, and the god awful pve is putting people off levelling alts.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
You know Dark Age Of Camelot is a great game and the Devon Cluster on US is the place to be :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Mate, our server was dying, it just hadn't keeled over and been buried yet. If you looked at the trend in the lower tiers and the difficulty in organising realm level events it becomes more obvious. The timing with regard to the Bitter Rivals event and 1.2 is unfortunate, but realistically there was never going to be a 'good' time to do it.

well, just because theres noone playing in the lower tiers doesent mean a server have issues. or would you say that WoW's servers have population issues to just because practically noone playes anywhere then in northrend now?

having the low level zones suffer is the nature of MMO's when they mature. sure it might not be that much fun for the new players but theres really nothing that can be done about it. ppl want to play their mains (unless its me because i'm an altoholic) insted of rolling alts every time.

ok you might have seen what the rest of us didn't as you were alot more involved with all the alliances and stuff, but it wasn't THAT bad. t2 and t3 still had the occational 2:ish warband zergs and stuff and quite regularly there was 1 warband running when ppl got together.

saying that tho, you will never ever have the same rvr participacy (is that even a word?) in the lower tiers as you do in T4 because ppl want to level up as fast as possible, and even with the xp bonus from rvr that isnt an option. so they pve insted.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Participation... I think.

Aye I don't spend much time in the lower tiers. When there are people to play with and against, T4 for me is far more fun. Still, there has been a lot of rumblings from people in recent weeks regarding lower tiers, especially scenario queues, where people could queue for an hour or more prime time and still get no fights.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Id agree there . If you do the census mod ( i know hidden yadaydayda but its a good yard stick if used with same restictions etc on servers) there are fewer lower lvls on Azgal.
Majority of players are near or at 40. Rest are spread out (healthily) over the rest of the levels. yet azgal's very very much alive and kicking :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Still, there has been a lot of rumblings from people in recent weeks regarding lower tiers, especially scenario queues, where people could queue for an hour or more prime time and still get no fights.

yeah, i was one of them :) but the same things is going to happen on norn eventually, probably sooner rather then later. and then what is GOA gonna do? force this server to merge with another just because theres noone playing t1 -> t3 again?

if GOA keeps going like this then we will end up having 1 server and a fucking shitloads of rank 40 players that cant rvr because every single zone is zerged to hell. but maybe thats the long term plan, force ppl to roll alts because T4 will be totally unplayable.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
yeah, i was one of them :) but the same things is going to happen on norn eventually, probably sooner rather then later. and then what is GOA gonna do? force this server to merge with another just because theres noone playing t1 -> t3 again?

if GOA keeps going like this then we will end up having 1 server and a fucking shitloads of rank 40 players that cant rvr because every single zone is zerged to hell. but maybe thats the long term plan, force ppl to roll alts because T4 will be totally unplayable.

Fundimental flaw in the game, you can't keep characters in lower tiers and eventually these lower tiers will wind-up empty.

Not noticable now, but 2 years from now it'll likely be DAoC all over again, no groups for anyone under 40....

Zede

Part of the furniture
Fundimental flaw in the game, you can't keep characters in lower tiers and eventually these lower tiers will wind-up empty.

Not noticable now, but 2 years from now it'll likely be DAoC all over again, no groups for anyone under 40....

and when i mearly suggested being able to xp/off i got shot down in flames.

lets face it, twinking in t1 & 2 can be done by anyone, even a new player. Just nerf those +10 hp gems :)

i'd resub tomorrow if i could have a char in each tier - so i could play all the scenarios.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Very sad to see this kind of thing happen to people for a second time. I do feel for you. At the end of the day this is a business decision to try and stop subs from rupturing because of a lack of activity.

Thats a cold comfort I know and if it was me my subs would have been cancelled.

Nate

FH is my second home
I'm interested to know what will happen to the characters that are left on the origin server when the server closes, theres a lot of accounts that are closed. Players that have left and are planning on coming back later in the year.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I'm interested to know what will happen to the characters that are left on the origin server when the server closes, theres a lot of accounts that are closed. Players that have left and are planning on coming back later in the year.

Yeah, I'm happilly playing on mythics servers atm, but I did leave 4 lvl 30 - 40 toons on GoA servers. Not planning to come back to be honest, but I am curious to know if they are just going to be erased.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Its not usually the *done thing* in mmo-land to delete chars, BUT, this is GOA we're talking about.

Guess i'd hope they shift all remaining chars to a *holding* server where once/if the account holder reactivates they have to choose from a server list where to transfer too .

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

They will most likely get the option to choose a new server same as the rest of us did, but it'll be the "this server is closed" message instead of the "this server is closing" one.

Characters are more account based than server based in this game, which is why it's so easy to transfer them over.

Mythic fooked it up at first putting up the wrong message :)

Nate

FH is my second home
This is what Mythic are doing at least Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Herald moving all chars left on those servers to another and seems they've covered it for people who haven't got active accounts so they don't get stuck on a server without their friends. Starting on March 11th, all characters still present on Tor Achere, Tower of Doom, and Ungrim, along with all the characters that we have transferred over to Magnus will be permitted a one-time free transfer to any other server of the same type, regardless of level.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The simple solution for guilded toons is for GOA to ask the GM of said guild/alliance which server they want to go to, then move everyone in that guild. Anyone who doesn't want to go to that server can then opt out if they wish.

As for forced name changes, that's a right fucking mess but there isnt a lot they can do about it really.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
The simple solution for guilded toons is for GOA to ask the GM of said guild/alliance which server they want to go to, then move everyone in that guild. Anyone who doesn't want to go to that server can then opt out if they wish.

As for forced name changes, that's a right fucking mess but there isnt a lot they can do about it really.

Well, they managed it with the merge in Daoc. People having there name followed by the server of origin: "xxx-Excalibur" for example.
Of course, that was a merge and not a"hey guys, we're shutting down the server so move your arses to another one"...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

Think a lot of people are baffled because they had a reasonably good solution to the name clone problem in DAoC but seem to have opted for a much stricter system in Warhammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom