Classic Servers with huge impact on the RvR scene

liloe

It's my birthday today!
As we all might know, US Servers recently go a new friend called Alternative Rules without ToA and now check this out:

SanyaThomas said:
Server Clustering News
Posted By: Jeff Hickman 2005-08-03 09:11:12

During the past weeks, we have been paying close attention to server populations. Our Herald Team has received a tremendous amount of feedback asking us to cluster more servers. In response to your top requests, we decided to do just that. Here are the server clusters scheduled to take place in the upcoming weeks:

EDIT, 8/3/05 5:36 PM EDT, from Sanya: We have some backend, technical issues that will prevent us from doing the clustering on the schedule printed below. Therefore, tomorrow's downtime for our RP servers will NOT take place. We'll post as soon as we have more information, everybody, but that might not be for a few days. Stay tuned!

On Thursday, August 4th, Guinevere will be clustered with Nimue and Percival.

On Tuesday, August 9th, Merlin will be clustered with Palomides, Bors, and Gawaine.

On Thursday, August 11th, Lancelot will be clustered with Iseult, Kay, and Pellinor.

On Tuesday, August 16th, Galahad/Morgan le Fay will be clustered with Bedevere, Igraine, and Tristan.

The reason I'm posting this here is, that at the same time look at these numbers

Iseult 57
Pellinor 64
Kay 81

Bedevere 62
Tristan 105
Igraine 106

Gawaine 63
Bors 72
Palomides 78

Nimue(RP) 72
Percival(RP) 128

Morgan 125
Galahad 127

Pendragon(Test) 28
Mordred(PvP) 79
Gaheris(Coop) 131
Guinevere(RP) 185
Ector(Classic) 278
Lancelot 362
Merlin 388
Gareth(Classic) 889
Lamorak(Classic) 1301

Currently defending the realms:
North America 4,781

This means like 50% of the players are on the classic servers. There are not many people online in US atm, but it's still scary imho. Mythic reacted pretty fast after the opening of the new servers and I really hope that GOA won't be so fast.....cause what happens if people stop playing on the new servers cause they wanna come back to the normal ones? It's gonna be terrible when 5!! servers play in one single frontier.

Lethul

FH is my second home
and what time a day did u check that? :) (afaik quiet a lot of EU players play lamorak etc too)
and dont worry, goa has never reacted fast to anything

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
well we've seen it here too tbh. some guilds and alot of players are playing on the US Classic servers leaving the fg scene on excal atm pretty dry. give cluster already fs... :twak:

but the signs are there. when classic comes to EU expect good rvr to pretty much die on ToA servers imo :(

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Im pretty sure the classic servers wont dry out like pvp servers cus they are so much fun,u can lv fast to 50 cus of cata and even all the bgs have plenty of action.Then at 50 u can do quick/easy cata runs to darkspire or u can SC and then u rvr ready.Also the no BB rule means u can compete in solo rvr and u dont have to spend time lving a bot:)
Why would ppl wanna go back to normal servers?:)

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
Talivar said:
Im pretty sure the classic servers wont dry out like pvp servers cus they are so much fun,u can lv fast to 50 cus of cata and even all the bgs have plenty of action.Then at 50 u can do quick/easy cata runs to darkspire or u can SC and then u rvr ready.Also the no BB rule means u can compete in solo rvr and u dont have to spend time lving a bot:)

Becouse they want buffbots... Nah

Becouse they like toa.. nah

damit you right :mad:

Olgaline

FH is my second home
aye tho's look like off-peak numbers, since it's not unusual to see up to 2500+ on classic during peak hours, but gues the procentage point is stil valid tho :D
also usually thier total player base is usually around 17.000

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Btw what server and realm is everbody on ?:p
Gareth Hib for me

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
hib/lamo, bring on cluster @ eu, TOTALLY worthless rvr these days :((((((((((
:((((((((((((((( :(((((

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
new ruleset servers_EU would be the last nail in the coffin for daoc/uk servers, Lynosse/Avalon is ok but the english ones are close to death sometimes... more and more ppl gettin bored of it... at least i do.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Yea nerf RVN i think i told fatbelly wrong server or i didnt know myself so we ended up on wrong servers:p would have been good to all be together:)

stubbe

Fledgling Freddie
Talivar said:
Because TOA for all it's faults is all that has kept daoc fresh all this time, without a doubt the best expansion for the evolution of DAOC and perhaps the best expansion ever in a mmorpg. Removing the best thing to happen to the game, and retaining the worst (NF) is gonna result in ppl trying it out. After a few months everybody that plays FGs, and every soloer who isn't a warlock with a buffbot stuck to them are gonna realise that "hey, maybe we glorified how much fun it was pre-TOA, and perhaps the boredom part of daoc was the impact of NF and lack of variation of gameplay rather than buffbots and masterlevels."

Classic servers will most probably be empty within a few months apart from the few soloers who actually manage to compete with warlocks and vampiirs, and even if they're not, I have very little interest of playing there. Doing TOA on a char isn't _that_ hard and even so, you'll probably spend a good part of that time farming darkspire before you get a full set (which you don't _have_ to do, but I'm guessing most fg:ers will anyway)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Lethul said:
and what time a day did u check that? :) (afaik quiet a lot of EU players play lamorak etc too)
and dont worry, goa has never reacted fast to anything

yes, it's off peek-time for US, you're right there m8 =) I guess that the general population is still very classic-leaned, so to say, and I will do a second check at like 20:00 CET and around 0:00 CET, cause then the US people are in the late afternoon =)

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Remove BBs, remove vamps self buffs or tone em down, and make it so when u done an art encounter and a ml its flagged for all your chars then i think normal servers be better, but it will never happen:(

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
stubbe said:
Classic servers will most probably be empty within a few months apart from the few soloers who actually manage to compete with warlocks and vampiirs

well i think it'll be good for the game overall, just bad for the ToA servers. alot balancing happened because of the overpowered flaws that showed up on camlann imo (chain stunning pets, introduction of charge etc etc)

hopefully classic will draw a spotlight on some of the remaining overpowered classes and abilities...

i don't think classic will be a "flash in the pan". ppl won't come back when they go there. certainly not ppl who like playing tanks or pbaoe casters anyway... i guess it could be good to have toa and classic chars tho, if rvr is shite on ToA servers u can go there and vice versa. plus it wont take as much effort to get 50 and rvr rdy with a new char there as it does ml's+arti's.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
from what i have seen there are less zergs and more fg's here now.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Talivar said:
because they will inevitably get bored of pushing 2 buttons cus there are no mls/artis and get bored of farming mindless yanks day in day out

Solo will suck unless your a vamp or a warlock on the whole

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Chronictank said:
because they will inevitably get bored of pushing 2 buttons cus there are no mls/artis and get bored of farming mindless yanks day in day out

Solo will suck unless your a vamp or a warlock on the whole

I'd roll a druid with 36nat, 31reg and 25nurt on the new server tbh. I think with that you can win quite a faire amount of fights. Unbuffed assassins have an awful WS and well, druids are simply cool =))

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
You can't base US server pop on numbers when the yanks are sleeping tbfh xd

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
There's a bit of a problem with stats drawn at very off-peak times as the classic servers draw alot more EU players than the regular servers in US.

What you really need to see the impact are numbers for the regular servers before and after classic opened.

Landor

Fledgling Freddie
Talivar said:
Also the no BB rule means u can compete in solo rvr and u dont have to spend time lving a bot:)
Not quite true... Most people that solo over there have a DI bot sticked to them (or so i heard).
So no fair rvr there too :twak:

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
stubbe said:
TOA for all it's faults is all that has kept daoc fresh all this time, without a doubt the best expansion for the evolution of DAOC and perhaps the best expansion ever in a mmorpg.

Sig material!

edit: At the very most you'll need about 10 DS items. Can't use more than that without gimping your template. We're doing DS in about 1hour 15mins which will get better after a few RAs.

Hence in a bit over 11 playing hours, a group is done with farming. How many hours have you spend to camp artifacts or farming the money to buy em?

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
The figures might be from non prime time, I think 2 of the 3 classic servers reach 3000+ in prime time which has come mainly at the expense of the normal servers, but they are still representative of what the % of players in the US play server wise.

It just shows that people just want to level a char to 50, which if you don't get powerlevelled is still a nice acheivement. Get kitted out with some decent gear and hit RvR. Not go into RvR and come up against RR10+ gank groups with every ability under the sun that beat you easily, not because they are better players but just because they have better abilities on their character that were not in the original character design.

It also shows Mythic what a monumental mistake Trials Of Atlantis was.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
thing is not everyone is playing for lack of TOA - there's the lack of buffbots for one (they've been a complaint for years) and there's also the "new shiny server with lots of people to play with" - go to a regular server even if it's packed and it'll be mostly level 50s RvRing or raiding with no lowbies to level up with.

Still too soon to see if they'll stay popular.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:
The figures might be from non prime time, I think 2 of the 3 classic servers reach 3000+ in prime time which has come mainly at the expense of the normal servers, but they are still representative of what the % of players in the US play server wise.

They are not likely to be representative at all as the 'Classic' servers get a boost from EU players during US off-peak and non-classic don't.

Helme

Resident Freddy
stubbe said:
Because TOA for all it's faults is all that has kept daoc fresh all this time, without a doubt the best expansion for the evolution of DAOC and perhaps the best expansion ever in a mmorpg. Removing the best thing to happen to the game, and retaining the worst (NF) is gonna result in ppl trying it out. After a few months everybody that plays FGs, and every soloer who isn't a warlock with a buffbot stuck to them are gonna realise that "hey, maybe we glorified how much fun it was pre-TOA, and perhaps the boredom part of daoc was the impact of NF and lack of variation of gameplay rather than buffbots and masterlevels."

Classic servers will most probably be empty within a few months apart from the few soloers who actually manage to compete with warlocks and vampiirs, and even if they're not, I have very little interest of playing there. Doing TOA on a char isn't _that_ hard and even so, you'll probably spend a good part of that time farming darkspire before you get a full set (which you don't _have_ to do, but I'm guessing most fg:ers will anyway)
Well said. What people don't realise is what would have happened if ToA wasn't released, the game would have gone terribly boring terribly fast why? because it would be the same old game. Do you seriously think you would still be playing this game if it didn't have any changes at all apart from minor classbalances? I think not, 2 years of the same game with no new content gets boring.

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
stubbe said:
Doing TOA on a char isn't _that_ hard and even so, you'll probably spend a good part of that time farming darkspire before you get a full set (which you don't _have_ to do, but I'm guessing most fg:ers will anyway)
My healer had 2 days /played at 50 with a ~capped SC set ready to RvR on Lamorak, I've spent more time just camping for an Eramai pop in ToA. :|

Fyric

Fledgling Freddie
well personally i will defo prefere classic server over the current servers, especially when island hits.

Regarding ToA, i still think it was a mistake on mythics side, there was just too much in it.. it takes way too long making a char and gearing it up, getting ml's, and then leveling your gear and the list goes on, we'd have seen quite abit of evolution in setups if we hadnt had ToA, people have to spend so much time making a char rvr ready, that they really cant be bothered trying something new, and then just stay with the old char.

Agreed, ToA had positive aspects, it added alot more skill-requirement(so to speak), to the game, much more abilitys to keep track off which basically seperated the men from the boys, or girls in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom