Classic Servers with huge impact on the RvR scene

censi

Can't get enough of FH
i think creating a rolled back version type server is a huge mistake.

Its basically conceeding that some elements introduced in an expansion have had a negative impact to the game.

Rather than address the problems, which requires real playing experience that mythic dont have, they create even more division.

Buff bots should have been fixed like 3 years ago. And when they finally decide to fix them they also introduce a class that functions as buffed.

I can basically see a classic server been loaded up with vamps and mages with bots strapped to their ass.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
true words censi. The problem is being used to some kind of stuff and loosing it rather hurts imo. I mean xp'ing and farming without FoP, that means huge downtime.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Javai said:
They are not likely to be representative at all as the 'Classic' servers get a boost from EU players during US off-peak and non-classic don't.

In the figures in this thread
2468 playing classic out of 4781 in total = 48% of ppl playing classic

And currently playing in the US
6684 playing classic out of 13694 in total = 51% of ppl playing classic

liloe

It's my birthday today!
ok, it's after midnight, but here are the new results

Iseult 249
Pellinor 261
Kay 266

Igraine 250
Bedevere 253
Tristan 365

Palomides 266
Gawaine 280
Bors 312

Nimue(RP) 214
Percival(RP) 491

Morgan 287
Galahad 386

Pendragon(Test) 163
Mordred(PvP) 226
Gaheris(Coop) 324
Guinevere(RP) 588
Lancelot 853
Ector(Classic) 967
Merlin 1062
Gareth(Classic) 2737
Lamorak(Classic) 3044

Currently defending the realms:
North America 13,844

13,844 people online in US ( it's 7pm in New York soon ) and approc 6,800 of them are playing on the Classic servers, which means it's still near to 50% playing on these kind of servers. I'll go to bed now ( nerf university ), but if someone could take another look at www.camelotherald.com in like 4-5h it would be neat to post the same type of quote again, thx a lot =))

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
stats now are a bit more representative (at least for eastcoast primetime)

however a few weeks back the classic servers were 3500 on gareth and lamorak with 1500 on ector at this time...

might be they've peaked and are declining again...

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
i think going to classic servers will be like people think of pacman or some old cult game. Ohh cool thats cult we love that etc....but then when you finally try it out again u know that its not the same at all anymore....
No once something got evolution and become something else you cant go back...not fun at all imo

.korgon.

Fledgling Freddie
I play Hib/Lamorak, and i can tell u its a huge breath of fresh air to play on a server were u can do /who and it reveals 1100, and thats not even on the fotm mid ream. There is a buzz about the server and its very enjoyable to play with, got lvl50 all sc done in 4day /play and if u can get that from scratch starting on a new server on toa then ild be amazed. U can lvl extremely fast with cata's and its nice to have realm with so many people to interact in. I doubt the seervers will lose their appeal, but ofc some will leave, their customer service and the fact u get fast patch updates certainlu makes it better than eu servers aswell.

Danord_durin

Fledgling Freddie
.korgon. said:
their customer service and the fact u get fast patch updates certainlu makes it better than eu servers aswell.
I could have told u that years ago m8 and don't need a classic server to find that out mystic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> goa by miles :twak: :twak: . Anyway i agree 100% with stubbe on this matter.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
How long have classic servers been going? 1 month. Look again after 3 months - it's too soon at the moment. Although people don't like TOA when rolling new toons for rvr, by now most people have got atleast their main char done, plus it's no longer the huge chore it used to be when first brought out (that's not to say it's perfect by any stretch). As for buffbots, again most people who want one have one. Most other complaints now on main servers are the same as they've always been - adds, zergs, lack of fg rvr and op chars. While there's no doubt the lack of TOA would be nice for those who like lots of alts to play in rvr, the other complaints will be just the same once everyone is rvring on the classic servers. It might be less zergy now, but that will be because many people aren't rvring yet with level 50 scd chars. In 3 months the vast majority of those 2.5k+ people will be out in rvr on a regular basis and the complaints will be just the same as anywhere else. When that happens will be the time to see whether people stick with the TOA-less servers :)

Glottis

Fledgling Freddie
Initially PvP servers where also loved, but now they are a bit of a sad sight.
Whily GoA are smelly French frogs who can't even boil an egg the nice thing of lagging behind the US was knowing what to do when a patch arrived :)
Of course, several times GoA introduced a patch while they knew it was bugged, etc (classes, items, events). But that is to be expected from a company run by intellectually challenged people.
Regards, Glottis

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
ebenezer said:
i think going to classic servers will be like people think of pacman or some old cult game. Ohh cool thats cult we love that etc....but then when you finally try it out again u know that its not the same at all anymore....

well its not gonna be the same as OF RvR...

NF, New RA's, RR5 abilities, stat overcaps etc and then u still have some rather OP drops and charges to be found if you know where to look ;)

From a tank PoV: no bg/grapple bullshit means playing light tank becomes fun again, playing a guardbot does too.
From a caster PoV: no banelords, no malice proc.
From a Support PoV: heal bonuses are still cap-able in classic i believe.

...its all good.

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
you cant cap healbonus =)

whats funny, is seeing 90% of people saying the server sux, it´ll die etc, but do they play there ? no..

Lamorak is around to stay, i dunno about the others, theres simply too many guilds on lamorak from all of US servers, and tons from EU/japan/korea..

ive never seen as active rvr as on lamorak, even off primetime..

no such thing as roaming ages for a fight anymore :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Glottis said:
Initially PvP servers where also loved, but now they are a bit of a sad sight.
Whily GoA are smelly French frogs who can't even boil an egg the nice thing of lagging behind the US was knowing what to do when a patch arrived :)
Of course, several times GoA introduced a patch while they knew it was bugged, etc (classes, items, events). But that is to be expected from a company run by intellectually challenged people.
Regards, Glottis

Aiming for another ban i see

Athalas

Fledgling Freddie
censi said:
i think creating a rolled back version type server is a huge mistake.

Its basically conceeding that some elements introduced in an expansion have had a negative impact to the game.

Rather than address the problems, which requires real playing experience that mythic dont have, they create even more division.

Buff bots should have been fixed like 3 years ago. And when they finally decide to fix them they also introduce a class that functions as buffed.

I can basically see a classic server been loaded up with vamps and mages with bots strapped to their ass.

In a way I do hope bb's are fixed by giving ranged buffs. Which I can see even us with shades have a problem. I can see it now... Emain with a NS and then a BB strapped to his butt - double RP's :D Perhaps it's about time they did an overhaul of the classes and compared them and fixed and overpower and any gimped classes. Give NS's a cross bow imo :D

Give Hib some luvin!! :fluffle:

And on the note of Servers, I for one won't be playing classic servers again. There is no way I'm leveling another toon to 50. I actually like the TOA arti's and ML's - OK it was nasty getting some arti's at one time but it's easier now to farm scrolls. I can't see people going back to classic for anything other than a visit for retro or nostalgic perposes. Though I am looking forward to clustering - be nice to get more action in RVR, more chances for my butt to be pwned :kissit:

liloe

It's my birthday today!
that's exactly my point Bracken. Many people go to the classic servers and Mythic, as reaction to this, clusters the standard servers.

I wasn't aiming for a discussion about the classic server population itself, but more what happens after it decreases again and people come back to their usual things. What if we have totally overcrowded servers? Will the charcopying to some new servers start or what? Look at the herald news. 5 Servers are together now. That means even if every server has 700 players only, which is pretty small, that means max for the whole cluster. Now if your chars are spread across these 5 servers only you're stuck with playing 1 realm, waiting 2h, playing another realm, etc...

What I mean is the consequences for the other servers and I hope GOA will not overreact on clustering stuff =)

Drungan

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, GOA can hardly overreact on the english servers here, as there's only 2 english servers anyways.

i also think, that time will show - as usual - if classic servers stay popular and even i doubt it, the english eu community won't be affected by "hardcore-clustering". in my opinion -regarding server pop over the past 2 years - exc/pryd-cluster will be funky.

only fault mythic could maybe make, is clustering all german servers at once.
and that would leave one highly populated server cluster, which from my pov is not a bad thing. i always liked a fat realm population, been a while tho since you really could speak of this regarding exc/hib.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
toa only suck when you are doing it;) when you are fully toat an getting some ml it starts to be fun with all the abils to use ;)

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
The vast use of buffbots is what pretty much killed RvR for me. So anything that takes them out of the game is good.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
TOA was a major nerf to stealthers. PN nodes, Storms, Brittle guards, Bodyguard, cast speed, and overall better defense. All these toa abilities made it almost impossible for stealthers to kill non stealth targets.

.korgon.

Fledgling Freddie
Aloca said:
TOA was a major nerf to stealthers. PN nodes, Storms, Brittle guards, Bodyguard, cast speed, and overall better defense. All these toa abilities made it almost impossible for stealthers to kill non stealth targets.

yep! :D

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
liloe said:
I'd roll a druid with 36nat, 31reg and 25nurt on the new server tbh. I think with that you can win quite a faire amount of fights. Unbuffed assassins have an awful WS and well, druids are simply cool =))
In OF, before i got a bot, i had some of my hardest 1on1 fights with druids, especially Douglas.
Had to use everything i had to have a chance against that firby.
I have a fight against him on fraps where i used AP, AoF and IP and won the fight with only 15-20% life left. :)
Even bards like Begach gave me good fights.

However, i agree with what Censi said. Making these servers seems like an easy fix to ToA and all the unbalance it brought.
Instead of telling us in the TL report feedback that they have no plans to do anything about grapplespamming, they should simply do something about that and many other ToA abilities.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
its mythic's usual response, rather than fixing it they either break it even more, remove it or ignore it. I agree TOA in itself isnt that bad its just some things in it are very broken.

From recent patch notes mythic seem to be listening, the rvr island sounds great, however all this is about 18 months to late, people have quit and i cant really see that many of them coming back tbh.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
From recent patch notes mythic seem to be listening, the rvr island sounds great, however all this is about 18 months to late, people have quit and i cant really see that many of them coming back tbh.
It may be too late for many, but it does seem like mythic is listening this time, as you said.
Hunters are getting evade 3 now, although 3 years too late. :p
Skalds and bards are getting combined resist chants. Something that has been asked for(at least by skalds) for well over a year.
To me it looks like getting rid of Mckey was the best thing Mythic has done for a long time.
Maybe i've read too much VN boards. They sure blamed him for a lot of things there.
Perhaps he was blamed for too many things, but after he was reassigned to some other project, Mythic has done a few good changes.

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
Aloca said:

rofl

gimme some of that drugz :p

Calo

Part of the furniture
Zoia said:
It may be too late for many, but it does seem like mythic is listening this time, as you said.
Hunters are getting evade 3 now, although 3 years too late. :p
Skalds and bards are getting combined resist chants. Something that has been asked for(at least by skalds) for well over a year.
To me it looks like getting rid of Mckey was the best thing Mythic has done for a long time.
Maybe i've read too much VN boards. They sure blamed him for a lot of things there.
Perhaps he was blamed for too many things, but after he was reassigned to some other project, Mythic has done a few good changes.

how u mean combined resist chants?

don't say ppl will ask me for grp for resists :eek7:

Arkian

Fledgling Freddie
Dallas said:
you cant cap healbonus =)

whats funny, is seeing 90% of people saying the server sux, it´ll die etc, but do they play there ? no..

Lamorak is around to stay, i dunno about the others, theres simply too many guilds on lamorak from all of US servers, and tons from EU/japan/korea..

ive never seen as active rvr as on lamorak, even off primetime..

no such thing as roaming ages for a fight anymore :)

Aye looks superb ;)

http://vnboards.ign.com/Lamorak_(Classic)/b23002/90215093/?4

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Calo said:
how u mean combined resist chants?

don't say ppl will ask me for grp for resists :eek7:

heat/cold/matter combined in one chant and body/spirit/energy in another. 8% and 16% depending on how high you have specced etc.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Aloca said:

imo to just be able to pop on anyone and get them in one hit or get them down to half is pretty op if u compare to some of the other classes. I always thought about that in past. Most times i been killed really clean except being zerged its been from stealthers. Maybe not on my hero but on most other classes. Then with bows most stealthers dont even have to get close:p So i dont know about hard to kill^^

Gorrion

Fledgling Freddie
stubbe said:
Because TOA for all it's faults is all that has kept daoc fresh all this time, without a doubt the best expansion for the evolution of DAOC and perhaps the best expansion ever in a mmorpg. Removing the best thing to happen to the game, and retaining the worst (NF) is gonna result in ppl trying it out. After a few months everybody that plays FGs, and every soloer who isn't a warlock with a buffbot stuck to them are gonna realise that "hey, maybe we glorified how much fun it was pre-TOA, and perhaps the boredom part of daoc was the impact of NF and lack of variation of gameplay rather than buffbots and masterlevels."

Classic servers will most probably be empty within a few months apart from the few soloers who actually manage to compete with warlocks and vampiirs, and even if they're not, I have very little interest of playing there. Doing TOA on a char isn't _that_ hard and even so, you'll probably spend a good part of that time farming darkspire before you get a full set (which you don't _have_ to do, but I'm guessing most fg:ers will anyway)

I for 1 do NOT agree with Stubbe!!!.
What have brought Daoc to its present state of players quitting in a steady stream and also keeping out new players are "with no doubt" the Trials of atlantis expansion, it simply brought into Daoc a level of unbalance that "except for buffbots" have never been seen in any other mmorpg. The Trials of Atlantis is so un-inviting a challange to many old players and even more to new players who are trying to join the game, and becom part of the endgame scenarios.
one upside to ToA, was indded the new underwater combats and the new gfx to items. But the "MUST GRIND" ml's and artifacts did very fast bring many players into a frustrating stance and many casual players simply gave up, (the result we have all have felt and seen )
Bringing new items into the game, and small changes to bonuses you can achive from adventuring in new areas is ofc always a welcoming idea, but ToA brought down a evelusion beyond what any casual player would ever manage. I for 1 really would love to play on the classic servers, and even better if the buffbot's are not a option anymore, have always been my goal to rid Daoc from cheating buffbot players, seem's like it finnaly happened.
What will happen to the TOA servers im not sure . . . personally i think they will be very low populated. New players will in 9 out of 10 surely join the classic servers because the endgame "game-expirience" are much more accesable.
Maby . . . just Maby it's all too late for Daoc, no matter what new servers, classes, frontiers, items etc Mythic creats . . . maby the time really is closing in on Dark Age of Camelot.

Gorrion the Thane

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom