News Clarkson suspended

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Presented by wooden American guy and 2 people dragged out of the audience. They are like Ant and Dec, I have no idea which one is which.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I got to say it was pretty good, they are standing on clarksons shoulders, but either they stop trying so hard or get Matt some more believable presenters to bounce off.
LeBlance is a natural..he's not wooden, that's just Joeys style.
Without Evans it stands a chance.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Presented by wooden American guy and 2 people dragged out of the audience. They are like Ant and Dec, I have no idea which one is which.

Anyone who has an interest in cars knows who Chris Harris is. As for Rory Reid...Hammond was a radio journo before TG, I had no idea who he was.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nobody likes to talk about Hammond. He could just not show up for filming and nobody would notice.

Job

That episode was better than three of the Grand tours.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Although, having watched the second half, I did like the bit with the taxi and the hill.

Good writers for the scripted bits...maybe they should stick to them rather than the dreary studio/track bits.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I found that thoroughly....whelming. Better than Evans' effort, but not particularly original (racing in a quarry? Putting a car on bricks to change the mileage then making it fall off? Really?), and the studio bits were awful. Not sure what McAvoy told us that he didn't tell us last time, and whilst I love the GT86, I don;t think it works for SIARPC. Part of the fun of that was seeing Hollywood stars get behind the wheel of a random Korean snotbox, which it loses when you swap that for a sports car.

Much preferred The Grand Tour (as that was actually funny), but this will pass the time until Series 2 airs again in November.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not watched it yet but I think people are expecting a lot to be original about a car show.

They're fucking cars ffs! They go places when you drive them there. They're not inherently interesting things - it's a cultural thing that we obsess over them. But ultimately there's only so much they can do.

As shows, Top Gear / Grand Tour are only going to ever be as interesting as their presenters - because cars are just a backdrop for the people.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Watched. So much better without the ginger winge bag. Trying a little too hard to have the boring one the silly one and the ape one. Need to develop their own personalities. But liked it still.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It was aight, celebrity bit was still super wank.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
the problem with chris evans was he literally tried to be jeremy clarkson, he even tried to do the typical clarkson voice acting. I don't see top gear being 'good' people never really watched top gear for car advice despite it being a 'motoring' show, they watched it because it was 3 old blokes dicking about and having a laugh, that's literally why the watched it.

Those 3 old blokes are now gone so unless the BBC and Matt LeBlanc can capture that same feeling again the viewer numbers will likely drop to the point where the BBC just pulls the plug after 2-3 seasons.

DaGaffer

Not watched it yet but I think people are expecting a lot to be original about a car show.

They're fucking cars ffs! They go places when you drive them there. They're not inherently interesting things - it's a cultural thing that we obsess over them. But ultimately there's only so much they can do.

As shows, Top Gear / Grand Tour are only going to ever be as interesting as their presenters - because cars are just a backdrop for the people.

Don't be silly, of course cars are inherently interesting; even if you don't like cars they're a massively important part of the modern world. You can choose to hate cars and everything they stand for, but even that makes them interesting because its made you take a position on them.

Personally, I like cars for lots of reasons; for what they do, what they look and sound like, and because it makes me sad that we won't be allowed to drive them in a couple of decades.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Disagree gaff. Some people are entirely ambivalent about them. See them purely as useful tools.

Some kids are literally taught to love 'em tho. Like a religion.

Racing is probably where the coolness stems from. Humans v humans is inherently interesting and the cars that we do that in gain a certain mystique and become something to geek over. That is also a marketing man's dream...

DaGaffer

Disagree gaff. Some people are entirely ambivalent about them. See them purely as useful tools.

Some kids are literally taught to love 'em tho. Like a religion.

Racing is probably where the coolness stems from. Humans v humans is inherently interesting and the cars that we do that in gain a certain mystique and become something to geek over. That is also a marketing man's dream...

For fucks sake, I literally pointed out why it doesn't matter about liking cars or not, (or even not caring one way or another) it's irrelevant to their importance, and hence intrinsic interest. Even a fridge is interesting from an engineering and environmental perspective even though 99% of us never even think about them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Cars to me are a means to get from one point to another. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy Top Gear/GT etc, its more than a car show. I do like some of the super cars though, not that I will ever own one...or would ever want to own one.

Job

I was a car nut, but age has made me lose interest, they are all much the same, power is easy and cheap, the fun for us was putting big engines in little cars, now its getting someone to hack the chip.
Too complicated to work on, it's a bit like people who are tech nerds connecting boards to touchscreens and modified wireless modules, when you can buy the whole thing ready made for 30 quid at Tescos.
Now you have speed cameras, year bans, retests.
Might as well drive a van like I do, at least you can get stuff in the back.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
For fucks sake, I literally pointed out why it doesn't matter about liking cars or not, (or even not caring one way or another) it's irrelevant to their importance, and hence intrinsic interest.
Fair enough. Point conceded. We were talking at cross purposes - I was actually alluding to the level of interest that they engender. My bad for imprecise language.

But chill Gaff. It's only cars ;)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
This series is infinitely better than the one with Evans IMO.

Le Blanc is the weak link in this for me, the other two seem to be alright, and don't appear to be try harding.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
What Harris was doing to that poor Alfa made me want to cry.

Remember when Clarkson tried to hit an apple on the apex of a corner in an AMG C63?

Well it was like that. But a bit shit.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
You guys were right, second ep was better.

But it got me thinking: I wonder if Clarkson, Harris and Le Blanc would be really quite good? Think about it, take the piss out of Le Blanc but still have enough car kudos between them to really gel.

Job

Really liked tonights episode..guest bit cringy as usual, but better than a lot of Clarksons ones.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Can't even got to watch it. The wife is watching the fucking tennis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom