News Clarkson suspended

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Episode 4 was awesome, a big massive fuck you to all the tedious bores on the internet who complain about it being too scripted. Mostly by doing a completely scripted unscripted show.

I do like that McLaren 720S as well - obscenely fast in a straight line - as in, faster than a Tesla on t'internet.
I think it was scripted unscripted tbh. Lol

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Obviously.

The thing is we were promised huge episode budgets and theres not even a BBC budget getting spent.

SPOILER FROM NOW ON....XXXXXX

They borrowed a few cars and tarted up an 800 quid wrecker, then one pass from a fire fighting plane.
Two no mark celebs and that was it.
When you think of the epic original episodes.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Remember they had to cobble this series together between injury and illness of 2/3 of the team. I guess thats why there isnt all the touring the tent around and such like last time.

Job

Round the farm.

Getting better, going back to basics.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Latest episode is fantastic, up there with the best they've ever done, on either channel. Stunning Lambo, the right amount of cocking about, and a breathtaking films on Lancia vs Audi in the 1983 WRC.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I haven't minded New New Top Gear mostly but last night's episode bugged me. The McLaren was interesting but the main feature was boring. The only bit that actually made me laugh was the reversing city cars but they relegated that to about a minute. I think there must be something in the contract that Rory can't say more than 2 lines per episode.

Bodhi

Anyone else actually thinking about watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire now they're putting Clarkson in charge?

Could be terrible or genius.

Job

Latest Topgear was really good..in the Californian mountains with offroad buggies and electric dirtbikes.
Have to say it was better than Grand Tour...the celebrities on GT are just fucking dreadful.

Bodhi

Latest Topgear was really good..in the Californian mountains with offroad buggies and electric dirtbikes.
Have to say it was better than Grand Tour...the celebrities on GT are just fucking dreadful.

It really isn't.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't get the celebrity bit on The Grand Tour. It's like in the first season they were taking the piss by saying "look at all these big names we can get and then kill" but now it's just people no one has ever really heard of (with a couple of exceptions). The Mozambique season finale was great - they should just ditch the studio entirely (seeing as they now can't even be arsed to move it between episodes - all of a sudden it's not a very "grand tour" at all) and do specials that take up a whole episode each. When they're actually out there doing stuff with the fantastic production values and cinematography, that's when they're at their best.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't get the celebrity bit on The Grand Tour. It's like in the first season they were taking the piss by saying "look at all these big names we can get and then kill" but now it's just people no one has ever really heard of (with a couple of exceptions). The Mozambique season finale was great - they should just ditch the studio entirely (seeing as they now can't even be arsed to move it between episodes - all of a sudden it's not a very "grand tour" at all) and do specials that take up a whole episode each. When they're actually out there doing stuff with the fantastic production values and cinematography, that's when they're at their best.

Even with Amazon money they can’t afford a dozen 4K-filmed specials a year. And the logistics don’t stack up anyway, especially when, as with this season you have three presenters in various states of crocked-ness.

The studio is a framing device/cheap filler. The problem with GT is that it’s more obvious that’s what it is than in the TG days

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

The banter is still pretty painful to watch. There were bits about the California shoot I really liked, but it’s too heavily scripted.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Even with Amazon money they can’t afford a dozen 4K-filmed specials a year. And the logistics don’t stack up anyway, especially when, as with this season you have three presenters in various states of crocked-ness.

The studio is a framing device/cheap filler. The problem with GT is that it’s more obvious that’s what it is than in the TG days
Oh yeah I know it's probably not viable but it would be interesting to see the cost comparison for a "normal" vs. a "special" episode. IIRC they've had an enormous budget for both seasons compared to what the beeb spent and content wise, it's difficult to see how/where they've spent it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Seems it was just me (and maybe Bods) who thought the California bit was really shit and dull :(

Job

Guess Im in to offroading..so that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom