Fact Christian Rapists

noblok

Part of the furniture
I saw that in the amended news report too. And I'm happy to agree with it. :)

"Those who attended an institution" includes catholic institutions. And "rising to one in five" mean's it's TWICE as likely.
It's twice as likely if they attended any institution, though. Indicating the problem may be institutions rather than the catholic aspect of it all.

DaGaffer said:
The difference is that in secular organisations that may or may not attempt to cover up abuse is that the motivations for cover up are often personal, financial, reputational or whatever, but what they are not, is policy. This is the issue about the catholic church, that the default response is to cover up, defend and close ranks as a matter of course, and that policy comes from the very top.
It used to be the official policy. An official policy which is indeed terrible. It's been adapted now, though. Now official policy is to forward cases of possible child abuse to the courts immediately. In Belgium they've also asked external experts to help them in dealing with this whole thing, they've organised a commission (with external experts) to seek reconciliation with the victims who do not wish to go to court. They're also prepared to pay compensation for all victims, even those who no longer have a juridical case, because of statutes of limitation. I'll repeat again that it's too late and too slow (as institutions always are), but I believe they're on the right track.

edit: In reply to Wij's link: I think the pope shouldn't have claimed diplomatic immunity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's twice as likely if they attended any institution, though. Indicating the problem may be institutions rather than the catholic aspect of it all.

I have already said exactly that, and you're ignoring it.

I added that offending institutions would be shut down. But not the church. For some reason. Even when the Pope's involved.

It used to be the official policy. An official policy which is indeed terrible. It's been adapted now, though.

Yes. The official policy of the pope was to cover up child rape. Why haven't we strung him and his lieutenants up? If it was the CEO of a multinational he'd be rotting in a shithole right now.

But not popey pope. His word is the word of god. And God covers up child abuse.

noblok

Part of the furniture
I have already said exactly that, and you're ignoring it.
I misunderstood. I thought you were still using it as an argument to prove that child abuse is more prevalent among catholic functionaries than others. I just wanted to make sure that the article proves no such thing and other statistics would also refute this claim.

I added that offending institutions would be shut down. But not the church. For some reason. Even when the Pope's involved.
I don't think so. Individuals would be prosecuted and banned from the institution, but I think the institutions would live on.

Yes. The official policy of the pope was to cover up child rape. Why haven't we strung him and his lieutenants up? If it was the CEO of a multinational he'd be rotting in a shithole right now.

But not popey pope. His word is the word of god. And God covers up child abuse.
It was a different pope. It's a policy which has been abandoned for quite some time now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I misunderstood. I thought you were still using it as an argument to prove that child abuse is more prevalent among catholic functionaries than others. I just wanted to make sure that the article proves no such thing and other statistics would also refute this claim.

I used it to show that catholic institutions are TWICE as likely to abuse children as in the general population - which is true. The argument which was originally put forward was that the catholic institutions weren't more likely to abuse than the general populace - and they ARE.

Changing the goal-posts to suit your argument doesn't make it any better.

It was a different pope. It's a policy which has been abandoned for quite some time now.

No. It's the current pope. And the edict was understood and used by all of the catholic priests - so they're all guilty.

I don't remember a single catholic priest coming out and saying "the pope has told us to keep child rape by priests behind closed doors - and I think that's wrong".

Does anyone remember that? You know, they got the order, and they all obeyed it. I don't remember any of them coming out and saying "the church won't hand over rapists to the police" or "the pope has told us to keep paedophiles safe from the law"...

The whole lot of them were involved. They all knew what to do. They all kept quiet about it. The whole damn lot.

Q.E.D.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I haven't noticed a system of atheists that makes it much more likely that they will sexually abuse children than the rest of the population.

You may wish to rename your thread Roman Catholic Rapists then, or perhaps Roman Catholic Priest Rapists. Being a Christian doesn't make one anymore likely to commit a crime than denying the existence of God.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
You may wish to rename your thread Roman Catholic Rapists then, or perhaps Roman Catholic Priest Rapists. Being a Christian doesn't make one anymore likely to commit a crime than denying the existence of God.

Perhaps not but i'm pretty certain Roman Catholicism is a christian religion which means the thread title is accurate in that the discussion is about christian rapists.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Is that the best you can do Turamber? Have a pop at the obviously inciting (yet still accurate) title thread?

Got any comment about the thousands of children who've been abused by catholic priests? Got any comment on the religious institution that supported this? Got any comment on the heirarchy who supported this? Got any comment about the subject matter at all?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
And feed your psychological issues? No thanks. Get some help.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Thinking the Catholic Church should be disbanded due to it's hand in the cover-up of child abuse and that those responsible within the Church for assisting the cover-up should be brought to justice is a pyschological issue? Or are you talking about a different issue Scouse is suffering from?

rynnor

Rockhound
Are catholics christian? I dont remember anything in the bible about any pope 'and he shall speak with the voice of god' etc. They often say Paul was the first pope but he was just a disciple who was to spread the word - theres nothing in the bible about him having any special powers?

Next they venerate Mary a tad too much - she doesnt even do anything except poop out a baby without having sex and clearly its jesus taking after his dad thats important not being the son of some homeless woman who has to give birth in a stable full of donkey crap. If they were proper christians she would just be a footnote and jesus the main event but instead she's been raised to the level of a demi god.

They break the first commandment - they pray to a host of different 'saints' in the same way as hinduism has a bunch of gods where you pray to the appropriate one.

They celebrate pagan holidays - christ was born in February - yule was late december and included excess and was a winter celebration to ensure the sun returned. Easter is a corrupted form of the name of the goddess Eastara whose symbols were the hare and the egg - basically a fertility festival i.e. orgy.

Weird rules like celibacy - nothing in the bible about this or about self flagellation so it all screams cult.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I've got some news for you, the pope, the cardinals, the whole 'management' are athiest, not the official line of course, but you don't get to the top without knowing how it all really works.
Do you really think the pope believes in god?
I'm mean just give it 30 seconds of thought..no, obviously not, only the deluded and the brainwashed believe that happy clappy story any more, and the pope isn't either.
I went to the 'head office' a few years ago, the guide explained the famous painting on the ceiling, it was actually painted as a threat to all the cardinals who were going to jump ship to protestant because the catholic faith was in freefall.
It's a business, marketing, advertising budgets, overheads, bottom line, growth forecast (not looking good).
They barely try to cover it up, the 'followers' are so blinded the pope could marry Richard Dawkins and they'd see it as a sign.
You'll have to give Scouse some slack he comes from the catholic bible belt and probably has some history with the faith.
I married a catlick myself and it took me about a year to turn em around, the things they believed when I first met the family were simply shocking, just sad really.
Now only one still goes to church...result.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And feed your psychological issues? No thanks. Get some help.

Psychological issues? Like being against institutional child rape?

Coward. Having your little pop from the sidelines yet refusing to enter the debate :)

You'll have to give Scouse some slack he comes from the catholic bible belt and probably has some history with the faith.

Yep, went to a catholic school - but I'm not catholic (and never was). I'm actually a direct descendent of John Wesley - founder of the methodist chuch. So I know exactly how much shit the leader of religions spout. :)

I married a catlick myself and it took me about a year to turn em around, the things they believed when I first met the family were simply shocking, just sad really.
Now only one still goes to church...result.

Nice work. :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I no way shape or form am i trying to be insulting, but i do think you've got some serious anger issues towards religion, probably based on your upbringing.

Rebel is what rebel does and everyone is one at one point or other.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
On thing that sticks in my head about this whole thread:

- thousands of people have been abused / raped at the hands of the Church
- thousands of people have been abused / raped outside and unrelated to the Church

I get the feeling you're using this as an anti religious rant Scouse.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He is but behind it all he is kind of right. The church actively covered up the abuse that was going on. If it was any other organisation then it would in the very least face sanctions. ANy cult that abuses children gets outlawed, why not the church?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I get the feeling you're using this as an anti religious rant Scouse.

Of course I am.

It's not because I have "issues". I've a very strongly held intellectual position that religion is a horrid piece of shit. The mass coverup of, more likely to happen inside the church than out, child-rape, on a worldwide scale of what must be hundreds of thousands, should make everyone angry.

But it doesn't. Catholics cling to this shitty, evil institution, which we've masses of evidence causes more harm that it ever did good. Despite it being directly responsible for wars, repression, murder and the very subject we're talking about.

It's my "moral" duty to point this out loudly and often, to knock this piece of shit as often as I can - and when a story comes out in the news about an atrocity - like the sexual molestation of up to twenty thousand childen (in catholic institutions in just one country) - then this needs to be talked about. It needs to be pointed out that it's the church that is responsible for this. That this institution - that claims all sorts of moral authority and tells us we're going to hell if we don't follow it's teachings - needs to suffer.

Thankfully I'm free to do this. If I did this in the not-so-long-ago past the church would have had me KILLED.

Payback. This child raping institution needs to die.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I thought it was common knowledge that she was as corrupt as the rest of the fuckers?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Is she related to Teresa Green, a bit like the default background?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Gives me an excuse to get on my high horse and say, once again (to the blinkered refusal of acknowledgement (or understanding) of anyone who holds religious belief) the action of believing is ridiculously dangerous.

Plus. I get to post this, which is topical, informative and funny all at the same time (bear with - it's worth it):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA1IMSRN2Xk

Them crazy crazy Mormons :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
(to the blinkered refusal of acknowledgement (or understanding) of anyone who holds religious belief)

ist2_2710871-ironing-incl-jpeg%5B1%5D.jpg

On old Granny Teresa, yeah, no surprise there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I keep seeing posts from "ignored member" and I've just seen one here. I'm guessing Toht couldn't resist having a pop at someone who he knows can't read what he's writing :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hmmm. Missed this one...

A former Roman Catholic priest from Staffordshire has been found guilty of sexually abusing seven boys

It's so regular they don't even put these stories in prominent places any more :(

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
We should kill the pope, burn the vatican and repatriate every church in the land and turn them all into theme pubs, nightclubs and brothels.

Haha... and you called me a fascist. That's droll.

Wait - I'm a fascist because I support laws you don't like. But if a mob of unbridled humanity goes ape shit, that's ok because it's not
directed by a government/organization? (even though mobs are always incited by strategically placed instigators...).

But, surprise, for the most part I do agree with your sentiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom