Cheaters in DAoC

B

Begach

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
I know that there's no comparison between a radar program and a quest-helpguide but still...it's about what YOU or I consider cheating.

I can see where your goin here BUT you didn't make the rules we agree'd to before our first login.

I don't consider the communication of 2 players either online, verbal or in a written form to be cheating, nor is it against the T/C's you agree'd to before your inclusion in the game.

Using a piece of software to gain additional information or perform a task not available to the rest of us who are not violating the aforementioned agreement is the very definition of cheating. All games patricularly those with real peaple playin each other with 1 winner and 1 loser have rules. You break them it's called CHEATING. So enough of the semantic bullshit. There is no fine line here. They are either cheating or they are not.

As far as scanning systems is concerned never gonna happen without the user sayin its ok to do so. They can put measures in place that do not violate privacy law but it'd be just throwing money away and be worked around within a day of release. The main issue is in the design of the network achitecture DAoC sits on top of. Once you pass the login server it makes no distinction as to what realm your from and sends you all information regardless within your general local (not confirmed but seemingly not stealthers). To fix this has no doubt been tried, tested and failed to meet any sensible requirements ( and no doubt would have been a damn sight cheaper to implement than the man hour chugging witch hunt that they eventually ended up with on some of the US servers).

If the game engine whether single or distributed lets you break the rules that define the game then either it's design or implementation is flawed. Plain and simple. The question remains whether the flawed system should still be used with some additional rules enforced by T/C's and take the hit on the few abusive gimps who will break them. Or not release, i dunno about you, but without a doubt the best game I ever played.

Botom line is where people are concerned, especialy on mass you have to give them rules and enforce them absolute or the minority with no selfrespect and no respect for others will take the shortest road possible to success, even if that means breakin the one and only word that is thiers given when agreeing to the T/C's.

Either fixing the general problem with the network design of the game or add a radar as standard to all clients will be the only ways to fix the cheat imo. Playing around with the client or expecting people "to do the right thing" is just a waste of time.

B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom