CD-RW troubles

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Howdy, I've just given my LiteOn 48x24x48 CD-RW to my dad and he's bunged it in his computer to find that when he copies lots of files off a CD it gives an I/O error. It's the master on the secondary channel with a CDROM as the slave.

We've tried making it the only CD/DVD drive in the computer as the master but it still does it.

His comp is a 1.7GHz P4, WindowsXP, ...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it ?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
SheepCow said:
Howdy, I've just given my LiteOn 48x24x48 CD-RW to my dad and he's bunged it in his computer to find that when he copies lots of files off a CD it gives an I/O error. It's the master on the secondary channel with a CDROM as the slave.

We've tried making it the only CD/DVD drive in the computer as the master but it still does it.

His comp is a 1.7GHz P4, WindowsXP, ...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it ?
Have you ruled the cable out as the cause?

Xav

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
why not try cable select...

PS: CDRWs are best used on a differnt IDE cable to the other cd drive, this way you can make legal back ups of stuff with out having to use imaging software...

PPS: Xav, why did you quote that post, it was directly atop yours...

babs

Can't get enough of FH
It's possible to do disc-disc copying on the same IDE channel, just not recommended. As far as the I/O error, I remember a while back there was a problem with some chipsets and large files moving across channels, whether or not this is similar I don't know. I think that was largely a VIA problem, who knows though :)

Also, do you know if it's an ATA66/100/133 channel, using an appropriate IDE cable and are both drives fully compatible. Using an ATA33 drive on a 100 cable and channel can do some odd things. Try disconnecting the slave and recreating the problem.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Arg, it turns out he was using a 40 wire IDE cable and not an 80, switching to the 80 has fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom