cats in the garden

Damini

Part of the furniture
Seriously, you guys can't understand why it isn't cool to kill tame animals?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Chilly said:
Can you think of a good reason why we *should* care, though? Excluding ecological reasons where humans kill so many of a population it dies out.
its the difference between us and animals, its called compasion, if anyone hurt any of my pets i would make sure that they no not to do it again.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Chilly said:
Seriously, I'm not trolling for the sake of it. I just dont see the point in caring much about animal welfare. I certainly dont take the same view with humans, and I dont generally practice mindless/random violence upon animals, but as I say I just dont really care about them. Millions of animals/humans die in the most unimaginable pain every day due to entirely natural causes, do you see people moaning about that? No, you get people who say that testing drugs to keep humans healthy is morally wrong and they then go and dig up corpses and shit through people's letterboxes.

I may be a troll/sociopath/whatever but I dont go around digging up peoples grandparents because they dont subscribe to my world view.
that is completly different to going out in your back garden and shooting animals with an air rifle, any legal one wouldnt kill them outright anyway.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Chilly said:
Please explain why its wrong. It wasnt wrong when we lived in caves, or when there were kings and everybody liked hunting.

It would be very wrong for you to harm a pet of mine, very wrong indeed.

If you were to use an air gun on a pet of mine I would use something much worse on you, throd knows what I'm talking about :D

Don't mean you in particular Chilly I mean anyone who harmed a pet of mine. My son comes first then my dogs, thats just the way I am.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
its ok for dogs to kill cats, and us not kill the dog.

but us our selves cant kill cats?

k :/

You consider yourself the same "level" as a dog then or? A regular house cat has a pretty safe life, it's been tamed etc. It's not expecting some bastard to come up and shoot it for going in their garden and therefore isn't exactly fair is it. I mean to kill an animal to eat it, maybe, probably not a cat but we have to eat to survive (Would not reccomend eating neighbours cats). To kill an animal for no reason or for less important reasons eg. because it's peeing in your garden.. why? There are other far less cruel (Okay you argue 1 shot kill isn't cruel but how about the fact it's still dead?) ways of handling the issue.

My thoughts anyway.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
just to let you know I happen to like cats.

I see the discussion is well in place, so let the enlightenment of our members continue. No enlightenment = thread bye-bye.

</fascist mod services inc>

rynnor

Rockhound
Chilly said:
Can you think of a good reason why we *should* care, though? Excluding ecological reasons where humans kill so many of a population it dies out.

If you dont have compassion for your fellow creatures then theres probably something wrong with you - society is built on people at some level caring for the welfare of others.

You may not think that animals matter but because they are weaker/less intelligent/have less rights but thats a slippery slope - there are lots of documented cases of unbalanced individuals starting off by killing/torturing animals and then moving up to humans.

Someone also said you can define a society by the way it treats its weakest individuals and I think theres a truth there.

Say it starts with cats peeing in your garden - you get angry and start shooting or poisoning them - then you decide the neighbours kids are too noisy and shoot them too - amazingly simplistic I know but people do go down this path.

The fact is its difficult for anyone vaguely normal to deliberately kill a living breathing animal but once this line has been crossed its then a step closer to killing a human being.

lilmissnaughty

Fledgling Freddie
the only time u get the stinkin pee spraying happening is when its an un-neutered male cat.frankly i dont think folks should have un-neutered animals unless they r breeding from them( this isnt cruel its actually the same stance the cats protection league take http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neutering.asp ).
any cats ive had have been spayed/neutered as it cuts out unwanted behaviour(peeing everywhere/aggresion/wandering off for ages at a time/annoying noise) also if they are less prone to getting into fights over territory and sex they r less likely to get disease/injured an require expensive vets bills.
kidnap it an take it to have its nadgers cut off (can get this done quick an cheaply) then rerelease it back into the garden with anyluck it might avoid ur garden after that anyway:p

Chilly

Balls of steel
rynnor said:
If you dont have compassion for your fellow creatures then theres probably something wrong with you - society is built on people at some level caring for the welfare of others.

You may not think that animals matter but because they are weaker/less intelligent/have less rights but thats a slippery slope - there are lots of documented cases of unbalanced individuals starting off by killing/torturing animals and then moving up to humans.

Someone also said you can define a society by the way it treats its weakest individuals and I think theres a truth there.

Say it starts with cats peeing in your garden - you get angry and start shooting or poisoning them - then you decide the neighbours kids are too noisy and shoot them too - amazingly simplistic I know but people do go down this path.

The fact is its difficult for anyone vaguely normal to deliberately kill a living breathing animal but once this line has been crossed its then a step closer to killing a human being.
I said earlier I dont actually shoot cats randomly or go around murdering animals for a laugh, just because I dont really care doesnt mean I am a sadist. I seem to have got you all quite riled with my point of view, and perhaps I shouldnt have suggested shooting cats with an air rifle - maybe a BB gun, that wont injure them but itl give them a good little sting and get the message accross. Before you moan how cruel I am, BB guns done hurt that much, I've shot myself a good few times so I know precisely what I'm dishing out.

I am not some twisted murdering **** who walks around kicking people and standing on cats, I *do* have compassion for my fellow man and also my fellow animal most of the time. But if I had to choose between an inconvenience to myself or another person and the rights of an animal - well, you know how I feel.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cats have considerably thinner skin, less fat, and weaker bones than humans. A BB could do some serious damage.

rynnor

Rockhound
Tom said:
Cats have considerably thinner skin, less fat, and weaker bones than humans. A BB could do some serious damage.

Plus if you get it in the eye theirs a good chance of blinding it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Well I shoot cats I catch pissing in my garden, never done them any harm, they all still loiter around.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Which suggests you do it for fun. Nice.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well it's his garden they are stinking up. If it gets rid of them, ho hum.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Tom said:
Which suggests you do it for fun. Nice.
I only shoot them when they come in and start pissing in *my* garden. I dont wander around the streets looking for cats to shoot.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Raven said:
that is completly different to going out in your back garden and shooting animals with an air rifle, any legal one wouldnt kill them outright anyway.

Explain this statement please? I sniff (yet) another bit of random "I typed it so it must be true". Either of my legal air rifles can kill an animal as big as a rabbit out to 35 or 40 yards stone dead, though a head shot is required Ill admit. My shotguns have a rabbit range not much further than a air rifle, may be 45-50 yards at a push, but they are far more devastating.

For the record, a BB gun, in the sense of Airsoft as its known, would not hurt a cat, but it would certainly discourage it from pissing in your garden. I use the timehonoured method of owning an alsation mind, its much easier.
anyone who hurts any animal, especially someones pet, without good reason, is obviously mental, however I contend that a BB gun would not hurt ,so it would be OK.
I DONT like cats to be honest. They cause untold damage to the songbird population of this country, they are mindless killers in that sense. And its no good saying oh well thats ok , its thier instinct, because its a foxes instinct to kill chickens, but we need to shoot the foxes...
Im also allergic to cats, which is another reason I dont like them :0 I dont reccomend hurting them in any way though, much as would like to sometimes when you find a cat has got into a blackbirds nest and killed all 5 fledglings and left them unmarked in a neat little line :/

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Chilly said:
I only shoot them when they come in and start pissing in *my* garden. I dont wander around the streets looking for cats to shoot.

So you've admitted to shooting cats. You say your reasons for shooting at the cats is to stop them pissing in the garden then go on to say that it doesn't actually stop them pissing in the garden but you still continue to shoot at them? So that's not sadism?

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't it be easier to just yell and scare them off.. rather than shoot them?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think the point was to make them not want to come back to his garden.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
*Shrug* I don't know how intelligent cats are but generally if you get chased off somewhere by someone yelling (As most cats would?) chances are you're less likely to want to revisit? ;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
throdgrain said:
.... my legal air rifles can kill an animal as big as a rabbit out to 35 or 40 yards stone dead, though a head shot is required Ill admit....
thats the point, unless you know exactly where to shoot all you will end up doing is hurt it, probably mortally and it will crawl off and die somewhere in pain, i used to have a rifle when i lived in the country and would never shoot an animal because i know for a fact i would not be able to hit a (probably) moving target at 50 yards or so, only a complete moron would even try.

Chilly

Balls of steel
they loiter, I'm pretty sure they dont piss here any more. The cats that come into my garden try and catch fish in my pond too - and that *really* annoys me, they get two shots if I can get two off in time for that.

Will

/bin/su
164704382_dd85a9f9b0.jpg

Fear the mighty hunter.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
To stop cats entering your territory you need to mark it as yours in a way that a cat understands, namely leaving a load of your shits all round the garden.

Turd-filled garden == no cats.

TWS

Fledgling Freddie
Gardeners swear on using lion turds to deter cats..

Midnight raid on Longleat anyone?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Tris, the cat/dog deterrant thing form Makro costs £24.99 Ex VAT so around £28/£29 in total, work off Batteries of Mains.

Gimme a shout or something and i'll take ya in, Staff Discount ftw. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom