Catacombs = no new players

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Zenythe said:
Heyya

The publicity and distribution issues are something we are well aware of and are trying to change. One of the things that Requiel and I were asked to do when we were in London last weekend was to casually wander into stores that sell games and see what the availability of the DAoC stuff is... and although I would love to say that everywhere we went knew of the game and either had it in stock or could order it, I can't.
We brought the information we discovered back and reported it to the marketing guys who really didn't know as UK marketing and pub had been turned over to an outside contractor. It is now being checked into from on high.

:cheers:

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Caer Sidi is still the toughest dungeon and Apocalypse is still the hardest mob in the game yet you can get better weapons etc from ToA but can get with a fg or less which is crap coz a realm's Epic Dungeon should have the best drops in game, and the need to have large raid parties needed for them need better rewards. Update Sidi drops asap imo :clap:

same goes for other SI dungeon boss mobs, Xanxicar and other named draks in AC, named mobs in Krondon etc :cheers:

Sarumancer

Fledgling Freddie
Last advertising I remember, was PcGamer back in the Euro Beta days, oh and a one page ad for SI, and a half page blurb for TOA. Bit .. well, slack.

How to rememedy this.

http://www.eurogamer.com run a tie in with them, offer a 21day trial on the live servers, limited to classic and SI on the ordinary servers. Suggest new players try out Hibernia and Midgard over Alb (sneaky way of rebalancing the population). Work with eurogamer to run a weekly column, of whats going on in the game, up and coming events, competitions etc. Run features on the realms, a look inside Caer Sidi, a tour of Galladoria, a dragon raid, a keep take, put a movie up of what happens, doesnt have to be large.

Offer the trial for download on fileplanet if necessary.

Hit websites like www.theregister.co.uk and theinformer, talk to news.bbc.co.uk see if they`ll run a blurb about the Paris gathering of gamers, and the UK contingent.

Talk to Mythic, no, really, sit down and talk to them, negotiate being able to transplant characters. Set it up that Goa collects the fee and transfer it to Mythic, which gets around the euro/vs Us credit cards issue. Allow Euro players to move/copy to US servers (even if its only pendragon) or better still, and hows this one catch you. Rather than struggle to create/host more servers, negotiate Euro accounts being allowed to play on the US co-op servers.

One thing that also has to be highlighted is the distance between patches, we're getting further and further and further behind. Case in point, Gorre went through french and german testing, then was put to english testing, what happened? all the french and german players swamped it and were busily eating more slots with buffbots and waffling away in french and german. Now I have a smattering of both those languages, but damn its frustrating when its meant to be an "english speaking" test, and theres almost no one speaking english. Why cant the damnable language be a client side option? Why cant the "english" speaking servers, have the US patch within a few weeks of it going live in the US, if nothing else you`d see a population jump in excal and pryd. The tired excuse of "oh if you did that all the french and germans etc etc" would jump onto those servers and lag everyone to death. No they wont, they`ll jump over to see it, then jump back because their mains and friends and guilds are on another server, and they`ll get tired of patching back and forth.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
I actually think Mythic are quite content with GOA's sales, the truth is if i had Mythic i wouldn't really expect the brittish version to sell much (i think they just made it for the rest of europe really, not for Britain) but i would be very pleased from the german+french population, it's almost as large as Mythic's servers.

Uku

Fledgling Freddie
theres a reason mmorpg's dont do well over here compared to other countrys (im refering to the UK) and its not soley down to advertising (although i admit ive never seen any over here :p ) the other major factor is the years behind we are in broadband service , which ya need really to play it well (god forbid the poor soles still on 56k with recent server issues/mass ld's (well it is on excaliber anyway) hopefully they will advertise catacombs well over here as broadband seems to have caught up alot in the uk over the last 2-3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom