Help Buying new PC/Hardware

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm familiar with it all the time, as we've sold the last few versions of FM through Steam also. I still really can't get on with it at all.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Back to hardware for a sec, I'm constantly being badgered by my Dad to get an Nvidia card instead of the Radeon. Any reason why i should take notice of him, or is he still living in the early 2000s? Only beneficial thing I can think of Nvidia having is the PhysX engine.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Plus you can get a BFG card and BFG warranty support = mega win!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
No idea, they keep upgrading me so I've not bought a card in some time. I'd just pop to ebuyer and find out what BFG card you can get for that sort of dosh - I'd guess you could manage a 285 but that could be wrong.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Plus you can get a BFG card and BFG warranty support = mega win!

Didn't Kryt say in the thread you made about returning your card that BFG have now shut down their European operations?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Looks like as it's getting hard to find them at the usual places. What a pain in the arse :\.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Looks like as it's getting hard to find them at the usual places. What a pain in the arse :\.

You are to blame nath, by taking advantage of their naive business sense and customer care, you have made them un-feasible in Europe.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah well, I've got my lifetime warranty and I plan to continue to make use of it! :D

Besides, Kryt got a 285 from an 8800gt, I merely got my 8800 Ultra replaced with a 260. Clearly Kryt is to blame!

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'm also angry now I can't get something I wasn't aware existed till 30 mins ago! :eek:

Kryten

Old Cow.
gits :) Definite shame, BFG do indeed rock.

But lets face it, if something goes wrong they still have to honour their warranty and they do so very well indeed.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'd ignore your dad and get a Radeon. More features and better drivers at this time.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
As I just said to Bill in private message, the Radeon 5770 has DX11 support, great performance for the money and low power usage thanks to it being built on a 40nm process. For the money I would be picking the Radeon, the Nvidia 260 is 18 month old tech.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Looks like Serious Sam HD even when boxed will require Steam.

That's fucking gay. Oh well. Will buy Bioshock tomorrow instead.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Just bought Crysis to see how well this rig runs a game as badass as that. I still haven't got the thing up and running though, got all the parts lying around next to me. Been maaaaany years since I put a PC together, I don't trust myself to do it right :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
...At least I would have bought it if there was a single shop in central london that sells pc games more than 6 weeks old. Half the Game shops don't even sell brand new ones. Total disgrace. Apart from them and HMV there's nowhere to even get a game even in central london, never thought I'd see that. Shows how much console gaming and pc piracy have had an effect in the last 5 years...

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Even over the last few months I've noticed a complete disappearance of PC games in many of the shops where I live (South Shields). The local cheap game shops Grainger Games, had a total of 3(!) games on sale today, 2 of which were Football Manager. Even ASDA where I work stopped selling them, apparantly this was because during the midnight launch of Modern Warfare 2 they only sold one copy of the game on PC. Lucky enough we've got a GAME and Gamestation that still sell a fair few PC games :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The local cheap game shops Grainger Games, had a total of 3(!) games on sale today, 2 of which were Football Manager. Even ASDA where I work stopped selling them, apparantly this was because during the midnight launch of Modern Warfare 2 they only sold one copy of the game on PC. Lucky enough we've got a GAME and Gamestation that still sell a fair few PC games :)

Good stuff, at least they're stocking the correct game! :D

I went to my local GAME the other day, not a single PC game in sight. Similar sights in central today. Fucking mad, and sad.

Will have to order online and wait near a week for it :<

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Oh I couldn't be fucked with waiting a week for a game, I'll always use a site that offers next day delivery, even if the pricetag is more :D.

And not to get competitive, but I think this is another +1 for why North > South ;).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Shows how much console gaming and pc piracy have had an effect in the last 5 years...

I'd be inclined to think it's more to do with the prevalence of consoles and how much more money they make than piracy. Also lets not forget online mail-order like amazon. I don't remember the last time I bought a PC game in a shop and that's simply because it's *always* cheaper online.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Seems to be having quite an effect on you Wazz :p

I figured here would be a good place to stick it though, why the frig can't I change the Timezone in Win7 from UTC to GMT?! I can't sync up to last.fm in pissing UTC apparantly.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Noooo seconds too late to edit, I'm actually an idiot. I'm also not explaining what I done wrong, bigsoz.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'd be inclined to think it's more to do with the prevalence of consoles and how much more money they make than piracy. Also lets not forget online mail-order like amazon. I don't remember the last time I bought a PC game in a shop and that's simply because it's *always* cheaper online.

I have no inclinations, I have facts. :p I did mention consoles in that sentence so not sure what you've added here is anything new. :)

Console games are always cheaper online too.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I have no inclinations, I have facts. :p I did mention consoles in that sentence so not sure what you've added here is anything new. :)

Console games are always cheaper online too.

My point was that of the two reasons you listed, I'd expect consoles to be the more relevant. Incidentally, with respect to piracy what facts do you have, and care to share them? I've yet to see any decent information about how piracy affects the industry beyond "x number of pirated copies = £x lost revenue" which is obviously bullshit.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Pc games sales in retail have been shocking for years, though with Steam and deirect2drive, plus the cheapness of online retails it's not a huge problem.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It is when you hate Steam! :<

nath: Whilst I'd like to share them, I can't and you know this by now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom