Bummer GAME Multiplayer Closure

B

bigbb

A real sadness to see you go.

I echo everyones thanks to people at both BarrysWorld gone by and GAME for efforts to keep this service running. I've had some great times on both sides of the fence at BW and met some fantastic people.

I shall move my recliner to Freddy's House.

Really, thank you.

C

Ch3tan

Bye to everyone not going to FH.

To echo what Dead or DMW said, many thanks to all the staff at BW, especially Deathace, Nat, Baz, Ted and Bif who put up with a hell of a lot of shit and requests from me and the other CS admins and liaisons.

/me wonders what the mad spamming rush is like over at freddys ? :p

S

SilverHood

Damn shame,

I used to belong to the PC Gamer comunity, before they sold their souls to the devil (Mr Gates).

BW was a decent enough place to hang around when you were bored....

Might sign up to the new place...

wonder if we can get a DAoC forum there?
;) ;) ;)

:p

T

Trem

Actually quite upsetting. Already at Freddys, I hope some of my mates come there as well (Leggy and Hashy get reg'd ffs!). Speak to you all soon, have a good Xmas.

Y

Yaka

same ere bye to those not going to freddies house, its been nice knowing yer all

Y

-yuckfou-

Is this a timewarp?
I thought this place died about a year ago tbh.
Hate to say I told you so.
Customers pay the bills, but hey lets ignore them.

S

S-Gray

Yeah i was thinking...

Didnt this happen about 3years ago Barrysworld on the brink of extinction when somehow they come thru in the nick of time?

Im so very sorry to see this place go :( The past few days i havent even bothered posting here because its been so very quiet, but jesus, it was a nice return to see em saying their closing :(.

First BYGames, now us, whos next? Jolt?

I will be re'reging at the other place, altho it doesnt have the same ring to it as "BarrysWorld". It will be very much a shame if Ono doesnt come, you know you wanna... takes just the same ammount of time to post there as it would here.

Is there anyway you could make that forum LOOK like Barrysworld on the main page? It all looks clustered up there like BYGames did, and i stopped going there because it was hard to navigate :(.

Bye to the rest of you though, ive had such a great time having a laugh, pouring my heart out, dedicating myself, and playing with you lot (Games... Games) on here.

Im not gonna use that other place until this place goes... its only right :(

Oh and hey Yuck, aint seen you in a while either

S

Skyler

Originally posted by luap
Things I'll miss.

1. This forum is toast
2. @barrysworld.com email addy is toast too. Sooo many people have that as their primary email.
3. All the development of the funky web based stuff is toast.
Clan servers, bookables, subscriber only servers, the whole bw / game migration. Barry Bar, Barry task app thing.
4. Barrybeer will need it's community rehoming and renaming.
5. Quakenet are losing a major part of their network
6. The work the BW staff did at community manglement, sorry management. The work of the admins, liasons, league teams.

Totally right..

One thing I wonder regarding FreddysHouse, why can't we 'migrate' this forum onto FreddysHouse rather than starting with a new one. If we must start with a new one can't it look exactly the same? :p

Maybe this isn't the time to be whinging but those damn dominant light green lines really detracted from the lovely memories I have of this excellent forum!

So how about it at least looks identical?

Minor issue that will obviously be cleared up as I get used to the new place but I had to mention it :)

*sobs lots and mourns BW*

Farewell to all those who wont come along to FreddysHouse, it wont be the same without you all.

Thanks to all the staff who ever played a part in BWorld, I've been seeing you guys around for 5-6, or perhaps more years now. A large part of my life I have spent playing on BW servers and doing many things involving BW, going to be a very sore loss.

I know this has happened before but this time it's different. When BW faced the end before I had faith and *knew* that someone would bail BW out and save everything. Thanks to Game for doing that, you kept BW going when it was greatly needed. Now however you just know it is 'The End'... the BW book will be closed and stuck on the dusty bookshelf...

I also spare a thought for all those DAoC folk, BW has been their home for some time now and it is literally 'the' place to be if you play DAoC in Europe, or probably indeed anywhere so this will affect all you guys badly too...

Thanks again to all involved in BW and all who made it what it is...

H

Hot Soup

:(

I wish good luck to all the staff and a thanks for all the support.

J

Jonny_Darko

I almost feel that I should stand back as I'm not sure how much of a part of this I think I am, but I'm very sad to see it go. I think as a service this has been great, and I have genuinely enjoyed the forum and the people on it. I think I shall be pootling over to the new place at some point to hang out and ask questions about wimmin. :)

My thoughts are with the lads who will be finding themselves out of work - best of luck, and I wish everyone a good Christmas.

1tchy trigger

Absolutely gutted - although not too surprised tbh - we all knew what the problems were and that one day they'd be back to bite us on the bum.

Thanks to all the BW staff over the last couple of years - see you on the flipside peeps.

W

Wij

Can't pretend to be upset atm since I've known for a little while but I was quite miffed at the time. I'll have to check Freddies if that's where most of the old chaps are going. Dunno what to do for DAoC chat tho :/

All the best to the BW/Game staff and thx for everything !

G

granny

Well....

I suppose a "well done" is in order to BW for managing to pull back from this brink so many times in the past. This one does look fairly terminal though :(

Thanks to all the BW peeps who made it what it was over the years, I've got so many fond memories... QW CTF leagues, years of the best CS anywhere ever, all those lovely Tribes games, the friends I made here (and then withdrawing from them all over the last 12 months, doh, sorry).

I'll miss BW greatly - the potential was always great but the outside world never quite let it happen :(

Best of luck to those of you who've lost your jobs because of this, there's nothing shittier :(

Y

Yoni

Fashionably late as always

Thank you to all who made me feel at home, and to those who didn't it was interesting :p

Thank you to Bigfoot (for putting up with me as the admin from hell), to Bazerka for helping me out of some very dodgy technical scrapes, to Nat and Deathace for always being at hand when I needed something fixing quickly. To Ted and Dbs its a great home you created here and FH will surpass everything you achieved.

To those who find themselves being made redundant (the ****iest of things to happen) <----------- deliberate break of CoC, I wish you all well - you are all incredibly talented in your own fields I hope you find employment soon.

Yoni

S

S-Gray

If i win the lottery tomorrow i'll keep this place alive!

Yes sirrei!

(Even tho in the 2years ive been doing the lottery i aint won sweet fuck all, we can all hope!)

D

dysfunction

I won £10 once. So I donated it to Freddyshouse

L

lovedaddy

As is the way in life, all good things.

Best regards to the cs players (and admins) of 1.0-1.3 time.

Barrysworld, gone, but not forgotten.

C

caLLous

Again. :(

Goodbye BW, you've been a community like none other for the 2 and a bit years I've been here. Let's hope the community spirit can live on at FW.

And FW will never have that "Robert Rankin" feel about it, which drew me to BW in the first place. Pity Sproutlore is already taken by the fan club. :)

S

Stazbumpa

Bollocking hell. This is the second time that we've had to deal with this, but last time BW got saved :( Not so this time it seems.
I'm going to miss this place, although I haven't been here as much recently.

Well, made it to earther at least.

Also got DSL at long last, for those who remember my moans about BT.

My CS and DoD 5k1llz0r have reached a consistently mediocre level.

Have now got a cat called Minx. Not sure why I threw that one in there.

Anyway, would like to say cheers and thanks to the BW staff for doing a fabbo job and to all, well most, of the BW forumites, in particular:

Throdgrain (we were separated at birth)
Wij
TdC
Ono
Bohdi (gone but not forgotten the wanker :p)
Embattle (self opinionated bastard, just like me)
Ignus, even though he lives down the road from me
Summo
Sar
Nibbler (nice hat)
Ch3tan
The ever fragrant coupling of WP Kenny and Damini, even though I never spoke to them as much as I should, and anyone else that I either engaged in conversation or argued over something completely irrelevant with.

It's been fun and I will miss you.

Yours forever,

[Alpha]Stazbumpa

May my avatar hypnotise you forever more :)

R

ReActor

End of an era. I got a BW account back in 1998, used to be the fastest for Q2 (and free to boot!) and I used it for years. So I feel like I owe quite a debt. Things will go on but it won't be the same. Bye bye Barrysworld.

C

charl8tan

Poop :(

Like to say good bye to all the lurvly people that I've met through BW over the years, Ch3t, Moppy, DMW, CPTDoom, Lilz, TdC, bugrit, bye to everyone as I cannae remember all the folks that have helped me out, been friends, or simply pissed me off ;).

Although I was a bit stuck in my ways and refused to come online for quite a while, I'm glad I did, wouldn't have had nearly the reclusive life that I've led if I hadn't.......wait a minute.

Anyways, I salute you all, think I'll drop my "online life" properly now. Take care people.

S

shiner

Closure

Of course its sad to see the end of anything, but I'm sorry, this was supposed to be Multiplayer made easy, but as far as I can see, it just the same as loads of other places around, but more reliable. If you were to ask 99% of users what scv1415.exe did (its a counterstrike patch), but I often found myself going elsewhere to find out the name of the patch, and then come here for the nice bandwith and speedy downloads 'cus there were never any descriptions!

On a technical point of view, you guys got it spot on - great implementation of a great idea - just be sure who your market is. Is it the mass-market dunderheads (who really NEED the "EASY" in "multiplayer made easy"), or is it the Barrysworld veterans, who know that an "ET tournament at 8pm" has nothing to do with Spielberg's alien?!!?

Good Luck with what comes ahead guys, you will make a success of it, as you have done before.

E

Embattle

While it is nice to see FreddysHouse up and running I still can't help but feel slightly sad at this places demise, for all what it had become I had some great times playing on the BW servers and posting shit here....in a slightly corny way the present forum reminded me of these few line from Star Trek 3:

Perhaps it is the erratic behavior of Ship's surgeon McCoy... Or the emptiness of this vessel: most of our trainee crew have been reassigned; Lieutenant Saavik and my son David are exploring a new world... and Enterprise feels like a house with all the children gone... No. More empty even than that...

C

Cloowwwnnn

I'm only really going to miss the BW forums. Most UK servers are good for me to play games on, and there are a lot of free ones to play on. This forum is one of a kind tho. I'm glad a lot of you lot have moved to FreddysHouse.

F

Fex

Oh my god, this is so sad, been posting here on and off for aslong as i've been playing online games, I've had BW as my default homepage for even longer. I'll miss the green and all of the people on here, I still have fond memories of the Brotherhood of Barrysworld guild when I first started playing DAoC and would have to put those two weeks down as the best time i've had gaming since i started playing online nearly 6 years ago.

God i'm gonna miss this place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom