Brightness problem

C

Chameleon

Hi

I bought RTCW yesterday and setup my cfg etc to something reasonable. The only problem is, the brightness slider within the game is right at the max, but everything is still extremely dark. To the point where i can barely see anything.
I've tried changing r_gamma from everything ranging from 1 to 20, but with no improvement.
I'm running it under win2k pro. I can't find any settings within the geforce control panel. The brightness within q3 has never been a problem.
Help me please, the game looks great, but it's impossible to play like this.

Ta

Ch@m

T

throdgrain

r_mapoverbrightbits 1 and r_intensity 1 help a lot.tho if you go to colour correction on the gf2 properites panel (properties.settings.advanced) there is a thing to adjust gamma and brightness there.if you set it on something you like you can save it as rtcw then click on it via a shortcut on the taskbar.i do this for q2,cs and rtcw,works a treat :)
if you havent got a colour correction panel it could be bad drivers.you really must remove the old drivers and install the new if you get that problem.i installed the new one last night after going to std vga drivers first and no problems.(ta to ch3tan for that last bit btw!)

C

Chameleon

Ah, yes I recall those settings in the control panel, but as q3 is fine, I'm hoping to try and adjust it within the rtcw config. I'll give those other settings a bash tho. I remember those from q3, now you've said them :) I've read that quite a lot of people have been having this problem ........ but no solutions as yet. Fingers crossed :)
Cheers Throd

T

throdgrain

np mate :)
for me the colour correction thing is the answer.nice little right click on the taskbar ,pick the setting you want and away you go !
c u on rtcw! its bloody great innit? i must have plyd for like 4 hours online yesterday :rolleyes:

C

Chameleon

Yeah it looks like a real nice distraction from q3. If my adsl wasn't b0rked atm, giving me 300 ping, i'd enjoy it even more :)

S

ShockingAlberto

in Linux, there'd be no faffing with this, it'd just be ``xgamma -gamma 2'', and it'd be brighter than a street lamp :)

I use this for Q2, allthough i think i have it a bit too bright, not for my eyes(i do owrry about eyestrain :)), but because it's a bit unfair when i can have my screen so bright ;)

C

Chameleon

I find that I need to change settings, depending on how drunk I am ........... or whether it keeps my girlfriend awake ;)

T

throdgrain

my wife has insisted on earphones at last..:)
i find them to be pretty good tho,wish i d done it ages ago.certainly a help for c.s.

C

Chameleon

Yeah headphones are essential. It's amasing how much a bright screen can light the room up at 3 a.m. though :) especially when the GF hates me playing games on it any time. Women! They just don't understand ;)

O

old.Franbo

One option is to change from light map (high) to vertex (low) in the rtcw configs (some may find that this decreases the graphics quality of the game, personally I don't see any difference other than making things easier to see).

Be aware that your FPS is likely to go down since you will be able to see more of the maps...

Using this in combination with a high brightness setting should sort out your problem (even the castle map which was virtually black for me even with maz brightness becomes good).

T

throdgrain

ew vertex lighting :(
i wouldnt use that if u paid me sorry ...

C

Chameleon

I use vertex in q3 for the fps, but while rtcw is still new, I like to keep the eye candy :)
Thx for the help. I setup custom color settings for rtcw like throd mentioned and it seems nice and clear now. I'm really getting into it actually :D

T

throdgrain

Glad to hear it m8 :)
Do you play under ur regular name? I'll look out for you,i seem to be playing about 3 hours a day atm :)
you really use vertex for q3? what sort of fps are you after? i get 100 capped at 1074-768 with only noprojrctiletrail,no bullet eject etc.goes down occasionally but mostly just fine.
btw seta r_gamma 1 was the other one i uesd.

C

Chameleon

I have a very tweaked q3 config. Tweaked it for over 2 years now. I get about 200 fps @ 1027*768, with some eye-candy still in there :) I'll send ya it if you after some more fps.

Do you play rtcw on jolt (excuse me bw :) ) or bw servers?

T

throdgrain

tbh i got a list of favorites on me ase thats about 5 bw and 5 jolt servers.the game is so popular i just grab a space as it comes up!

T

throdgrain

me too emb,never ,ever play as anything else.

S

ShockingAlberto

Raar, i want some config help :)

I'm running near to minimum spec, so i could do with some more advanced stuff doing. My specs are:
P3 800, 190megs RAM, TNT2, and a shit sound card if there's any sound tweeks.

I get around 30fps in normal areas, 20fps in really large/detailed parts, and 40 in closed up areas. During action i proberbly get an average 5fps drop.
I've got ``locki's q3 cnfig'' from the quake3 guide at bw, but i've yet to try some of the things. Note, i don't mind having a pish fps too much, so i want nice weapon/player models(I don't see the point in playing wolfenstein unless you have the charecters looking all pretty like they do :)).

So, should i try the q3 config i got, or will that do some odd things?

T

throdgrain

theres some reasonable console bits on www.planetwolfenstein.com - worth checking out.also turn off that big block of info on the hud (sorry cant remember what its called,but saved me like 10 fps).
also cg_drawcrosshairnames 0 helped a lot (ta ch@m!)
try cg_noprojectiletrail 1 as well.i use at the moment the nochattext on planetwolf, after all if u can hear it u dont need to see it :) i may change to no sound and text instead yet i dunno.good luck anyway!

S

ShockingAlberto

Ok, ui'm going trhough y config changing everything to what the Q3 config i have says, but here's one that i want some advice on:
``seta cl_packetdup "0" // don't send duplicate packets (only use if you have a HIGH bandwidth connection)''

To me this is saying set it to 0 unless your on a phat pipe. I'm on 56k atm, so ii'm gonna set it to 0, but in my wolf config it's set to 1, which is worrying...Should i set t to 0, or is wolf right in having it at 1? Oh and i have alot of yellow on the lagometer if that makes any differance.

C

Chameleon

cl_packetdup sets the number of duplicate packets you are sent. So if you have this set to 0 and a packet is lost, you completely miss that bit of the game (and probably die). 0 is for broadband users who get ssplb pings and no packet loss problems at all. On 56k modem, even with a quality isp, set it to 1 at least. This way, if a packet is lost, theres another to replace it. If you find you get a lot of red on the netgraph, try 2, 3 or even 4. It's something worth changing as you go, if you keep an eye on the lagometer.

For more fps, try:

seta cg_brassTime "0"
seta r_picmip "2"
seta r_texturebits "16"
seta r_colorbits "16"
seta r_lodbias "1"

Ch@m

S

ShockingAlberto

I tried several things from the tweak sites, but i can't play with the ones such as picmap set at those levels. There's no point playing wolfy if you're gonna make it look like halflife...

When i went through and turned everything back to OKish settings, i tried turning off vertexlighting...Omg, it is so much better! Ok, so i think i'm gonna have to turn it back on again, as my shite TNT2 can't handle the proper lighting very well(i get down to a 20fps standard on several maps), but omg, if i had a decent gfx card, i know which i'd use :)

Really, so much more atmosphere is gained from using the proper lighting! This was the only thing i found that actually made a huge differance to my FPS, all the tweaks made little or no differance, so i'd rather have the reasonable visuals.

T

throdgrain

agreed there,i like wolfy cos it looks so good,i could never play with vertex, i'd rather stick with 50 fps.
after all its not a quake game really,and speed isnt as important as on q3.

O

old.Franbo

btw... I tried the graphics card brightness thing and it is indeed better (since I can use the lightmap).

T

throdgrain

i was given that advice by requiem who is involved in the ucguides for q3.he Knows What He Is Talking About :)

Users who are viewing this thread