Box set released loving the huge advertising blitz done by GOA

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
I have so much respect for the d00msayers ... I mean I was tired reading about how the game was dying right after the SWG thing ... but yet you seem to keep the faith and the funniest thing is ... eventually you're gonna be right too ...

Just wonder what you have for breakfast every day that gives you the energy to have such a high rate of d00msaying ... I'm so yealous :<

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:
I have so much respect for the d00msayers ... I mean I was tired reading about how the game was dying right after the SWG thing ... but yet you seem to keep the faith and the funniest thing is ... eventually you're gonna be right too ...

Just wonder what you have for breakfast every day that gives you the energy to have such a high rate of d00msaying ... I'm so yealous :<

Horner for breakfast...

:m00:

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Neffneff said:
my wife appreciates horner in the morning......

Your 'wife' has one of those?

I don't think that's something to boast about my friend...

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
I thought GOA was just the team that managed the servers with content and stuff.

But ofc you have to think they're the ones doing the advertising because you want every bit you can hang onto to mock them. Quite sad actually.

And now you're back to ignore, cos you really have shit to say xd

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Dakkath said:
Your 'wife' has one of those?

I don't think that's something to boast about my friend...

i think you jsut stretched your ability to twist what people say to breaking point ^^

let me clarify to make it impossible..the wife appreciates MY horner in the morning ^^

Gamah

Banned
Dreami said:
I thought GOA was just the team that managed the servers with content and stuff.

But ofc you have to think they're the ones doing the advertising because you want every bit you can hang onto to mock them. Quite sad actually.

And now you're back to ignore, cos you really have shit to say xd

I actully mentioned hip marketing before i edited my post..you fucking tit..always have been a twat dreami..and GOA/Wanadoo are the publishers...so yes they do deal with advertising and such like...moron

Gamah

Banned
Shanaia said:

not actully doomsaying, I'm just saying goa said there would be loads of ads but thier are 0. There is no mention of server numbers, people leaving for other games..people leaving due to the lastest expantion..I think your blinded by your own fear of "d00m" :(

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
JUst got back from the town center not a DaoC box set to be found - plenty of the new issue of WoW ones though. Maybe the DaoC ones sold out this morning :p

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Are you sure it was meant to be released today?
I was passing through town earlier and saw plenty of Catacombs boxes(over 6 in some stores which is pretty high for GAME!).

Virgin Megastore had 1 Catacombs box, and a whole stand dedicated to WoW with another 15 WoW boxes as their #1 PC game :p

That's marketing ^^^

Shanaia said:

You're probably the only one who hasn't noticed a significant decline in server population.

I don't have a problem with Catacombs being an XP expansion for new players, though I don't see the logic behind it if there aren't any new players...?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
If only Cata had come out a year ago, or at least a couple months before WoW then maybe it would have had more impact - as it is, new players and casual older daoc players are going with WoW, nevermind the fact that DAoC since Cata probably is more casuall friendly than WoW is.

Can always hope some of the new mmorpg'ers come to DAoC when they tire of WoW - GOA and Mythic just have to place themselves in a position where they are prepared to capitalize on these new people.

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta say I'm somewhat dispondant here.
Just read a thing saying WoW had over 500, 000 European subscribers.
Now thats over half a million ACTIVE acounts with a record 250,000 members on line at any one time.
What bothers me is that these people could and should have been playing DAoC if DAoC had been given the right kind of advertisement.
There was a market out there.
Unless GoA/Mythic starts to spread the good news that DAoC is then I personaly fear the worst for this game.
I dont want to seem like a "doom sayer" here but that market was/is out there and I really feel GoA/Mythic should ADVERTISE their product more.
There is (and I know poeple are gonna flag up some form of advertising fotm shit here) but I ask you .....IS THE MESSAGE GETTING THROUGH?
In the first few months of WoW they get half a million subscribers in Europe alone. Thats half a BLOODY MILLION.
Why were these people not already playing DAoC?

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
the reason Wow got so many subscribers is because before World Craft ONline or what ever there was Warcraft 1 2 3 4 (and some other ones i thinks) which had a large following.

There wasnt ever a single player game called Dark age of Camelot.

Therfore the previous incarnations of warcraft were the advertisment, daoc has slipped into the good old fasion.

"We are top we dont need to advertise" anyone remember atari they did exactly the same thing.

Does it matter if noone is playing dark age or if there are no new players if mythic / goa can advertise now that wow has been out at least 3 / 4months they might just get the people who are bored with WoW but are adicted to the online multiplayer role play scene.

WOuld rather get newbies who know the competitions shit than noobies that wonder if the grass is greener :)

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
Could also have something to do with the fact that Blizzard is a hell of a lot larger then Mythic and Goa put together and that equates to venture capital. France Tele may own Goa but they aren't a games company... To be honest as far as I knew the marketing was sposed to come out in the April editions of magazines...

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
In the first few months of WoW they get half a million subscribers in Europe alone. Thats half a BLOODY MILLION.
Why were these people not already playing DAoC?

because... like.. you know....

"Eat more poo! Billions of flies can´t be wrong!"

Trust me, you won´t want to have all those muppets playing DAoC. At least I won´t. And didn´t you notive the trend of people coming back to DAoC from WoW already?

Corran

Part of the furniture
Zenythe said:
Could also have something to do with the fact that Blizzard is a hell of a lot larger then Mythic and Goa put together and that equates to venture capital. France Tele may own Goa but they aren't a games company... To be honest as far as I knew the marketing was sposed to come out in the April editions of magazines...

Zen, i understand this, however i think a point to be made is that more then just games magazines are needed for advertisement. Would be a lot more effective if there was also in-store advertisement for a few weeks as well to get people attention when they go in.

I personally dont read game magazines often, most the games i buy are on the spur of the moment and if their and advertisement in the store about a new release i wil often look to see what it is about. Im sure that there are many people like this that are being missed out on unfortunately.

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
Zenythe said:
To be honest as far as I knew the marketing was sposed to come out in the April editions of magazines...

I'm afraid to say the May edition of PC Format fell through my door this morning. I've flicked through it hastely for the eagerly awaited review of Catacombs (they had it listed as a forthcoming release 2 months ago), and unless I've missed it (in which case its a 1 or 2 line review) there's no mention :( (there's some very nice eye-candy on the front mind).

There is a big 4-page review of Matrix Online however. I do hope all that effort Requiel went to when he said he visited the PC Format journalists hasn't been wasted.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:
If only Cata had come out a year ago, or at least a couple months before WoW then maybe it would have had more impact - as it is, new players and casual older daoc players are going with WoW, nevermind the fact that DAoC since Cata probably is more casuall friendly than WoW is.

Can always hope some of the new mmorpg'ers come to DAoC when they tire of WoW - GOA and Mythic just have to place themselves in a position where they are prepared to capitalize on these new people.
Agreed, but they havent. Got a few old school and uni buddies in various areas of marketing, mostly related to computer games and mmporgs (And weirdly enough advertising,advertising too!), its pretty conclusive that the UK marketing campaign is somewhere between small and non-existent.

However pointing the finger at goa will do little, ultimately mythic sets the tone of each release.And theyve chosen to throw very little/none of their budget at EU marketing.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
WoW was advertised heavily in major publications and even on TV afaik.

In order to grow marketing is essential to any business. If you don't your product is dead in the water no matter how good it is.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I don't play the game anymore but I am still an interested observer of general DAoCishness. I was in the Metro Centre today,3 Catacombs Boxes on the lower shelf of the new releases in Game , so I picked up a box, looked quite smart, proper box not a DVD case, so far it appears to be the dogs danglies.
Then I read the blurb, requires Original, Shrouded Isles and Trials of Atlantis to be of any use. I had SI but never got TOA so I asks the manager chap, do you have the other DAoC expansions 'no he said, we hardly ever have any DAoC stuff in' I did not see the new all in one box, I did see a fairly large number of WoW boxes, and a few Matrix Online ones way more prominent than the Catacombs box.

Later

Shadoo

Fledgling Freddie
well i know its late but pcgamer will have a full reveiw of catacombs in the june edition, they put in a 14 day trial in mays saying how good it was and how its always evolving

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
not actully doomsaying, I'm just saying goa said there would be loads of ads but thier are 0. There is no mention of server numbers, people leaving for other games..people leaving due to the lastest expantion..I think your blinded by your own fear of "d00m" :(

Sorry to burst the bubble of doomsaying, but PCZone has a full page dedicated to the full box & catas.

They also ran a review of Catas, saying TOA was shyte and this is the best expansion since SI - and they gave it 88%.

(if this has been posted already, apologies. i didn't read thru it all.)

gobblet

Fledgling Freddie
I know this is about the US servers, but it's DAoC advertising none the less, plus it might push things through abit more as far as GOA and advertising go. ;)

http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum_news.cfm?ThreadKey=2&DefMessage=1077843 - Possible for millions of people to get a taste of DAoC :eek6:! There has already been 2,000 downloads of this trial, if just a small % of them decide to keep playing after the trial thats still hundreds of new players. ;)

http://www.xfire.com/xf/index.php - It's on the front page here, there are also banners and adverts througout the Xfire site.

Now its your turn GOA. ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
its just stupid that they dont advertise, with people having 2nd thoughts on WoW now that they have "completed it" (got 60) and found there isnt much to do after that, now would be the perfect time to advertise. They wont though, because that would mean putting some effort into it and thats not what they want, they want our money but they dont want to earn it.
Smash and grab

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom