Rifle/sniper rifle.
Grenade.
Missile Launcher.
BFG.

And that GUN is a BFG if anything :p

Case closed, games proved it.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
hmm it's a little unbalanced still no? I mean, with the awesome stuff they have why have people on the ground at all? surely that would have more impact on safety of the personnel?
It's not Daoc, I don't think people are in the war for a balanced, even battle :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no, I know that. thing is...I don't really see the investment justified. For all the money and experience ploughed into the western war machine they need to develop UBER weapons that cost squillions because they can't manage to eradicate a couple of guys with uber low tech kit. Not to be rude, but it's fucking Vietnam all over again.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
No it isn't. Its based on military terms and civilians using non military terms

Much like the Humvee and Hummer (hummer is civilian)

One thing they told us early on in training is the correct terms. Dukat will back me up here

Guns can be refered to both small and larger weapons.

For example you got NATO-Compatible 120mm Smoothbore Guns.

Guns is a term to describe all weapons firing different rounds. So toht is right here.

All the other names you know of(such as rifles, pistoles etc) is just sub categories, to describe more detailed what kind of weapon it is.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
hmm it's a little unbalanced still no? I mean, with the awesome stuff they have why have people on the ground at all? surely that would have more impact on safety of the personnel?

First of all, it's a much higher risk of getting civilian casualities by using weaponary such as air support. It is already hard enough to get the difference between a taliban and a civilian as it is on the ground. So believe me, it's almost impossible to be 100% sure if it is a enemy target when seen from the air.

+ by showing their presence on the ground, gives the civilian communities some feeling of beeing safe. Wars such as the one in afghanistan where you do not want to kill absolotuly everyone requires the use of ground forces.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
^^ What he said, I was actually only just scanning the thread before I began my own "Its not a gun!!1" ragepost when I saw this :)

Gun = Artillery peice :)

Rifle = Small arms

Its not so much being pedantic as taking pride in having knowledge in a subject. Its similar to when someone refers to the internet as "the world wide web" - its not really correct, and to people who know what they're talking about it can be misleading about what you're talking about.

But anyway, I did my basic training in a Royal Artillery battery, and being given 50 press-ups every time you referred to a rifle as a 'gun' kinda makes it stick in your mind a little :)

So I suppose you're royal artillery battery is backing up you're troops with handguns( Handgun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) aswell then? I am glad you are not my artillery backing me up in afghanistan then.

I explained everything 2 posts above me. Gun is not wrong, but by using the word gun it can be everything that fires some kind of projectile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_submachine_gun

even this is a gun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staple_gun

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, I remember doing 100 push-ups for calling a Carl Gustav a Bazooka ;) I never did it again!

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Heh, I remember doing 100 push-ups for calling a Carl Gustav a Bazooka ;) I never did it again!

Hehe, you norwegian or swedish ? =)

Atleast our Norwegian army is not happy about english words when it comes to weaponary, such as saying "tank" instead of "stridsvogn".

Everz

FH is my second home
Surely I'm not the only one who thought of

p-dg1-art-280.gif

/thread. won.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
So I suppose you're royal artillery battery is backing up you're troops with handguns( Handgun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) aswell then? I am glad you are not my artillery backing me up in afghanistan then.

I explained everything 2 posts above me. Gun is not wrong, but by using the word gun it can be everything that fires some kind of projectile.

Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M3 submachine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

even this is a gun

Staple gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually I'm Royal Signals :)

Yea, at the end of the day saying 'gun' instead of 'rifle' isnt going to end the world or anything, its just that when your training drums something into you its not exactly easy to ignore it.

Frankly the chances of us meeting over there and 'backing eachother up' are fairly slim though, seeing as the British Army are mostly down in Helmand.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Actually I'm Royal Signals :)

Yea, at the end of the day saying 'gun' instead of 'rifle' isnt going to end the world or anything, its just that when your training drums something into you its not exactly easy to ignore it.

Frankly the chances of us meeting over there and 'backing eachother up' are fairly slim though, seeing as the British Army are mostly down in Helmand.

It depends on what Norwegian forces you are refering too ;P Anyway, it was just a bad joke, since I've worked with british forces more then once, and they are very good and professional towards their tasks.

I know what you mean, by having to use the right describing name of you're weapon, I had it like this myself, when I served my first year in the army. But thats just one of their way their starting to brainwash you ;P

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Tbh i would take the intense training i had which is trained to many many British troops every single day over wiki

Wiki is only a place for truth when people want to prove their point but everyone knows its lies when someone brings it up against them ;)

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Tbh i would take the intense training i had which is trained to many many British troops every single day over wiki

Wiki is only a place for truth when people want to prove their point but everyone knows its lies when someone brings it up against them ;)

I've worked in the army for many years myself, and still on a contract there. And I've had countless of days training with british or other countrys units. And I remember even them using the word "gun".

The reason you won't accept it, is because you are narrowminded and stubborn. I can give links to other pages then wiki.(Just see at the bottom there, wich sorces they have been using for those lnks).

Just because of you getting brainwashed to not say gun when you served there, does not make it wrong.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Someone completely missing the point of a smiley?

What did you do with the military? MoD staff?

I was a guardsman, my trade was firearms. Not only did i use the Rifle 556 (SA80) i was also the platoon LAW man

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Oh and Gatling Gun is the name of the weapon, gun doesnt mean its type. Its in its title. Just like SA80, AK47 etc

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Someone completely missing the point of a smiley?

What did you do with the military? MoD staff?

I was a guardsman, my trade was firearms. Not only did i use the Rifle 556 (SA80) i was also the platoon LAW man

I worked, and is under a contract with the Norwegian unit Telemark Batalion, in my group I had two fields dependings on the mission, which my main was light machinegun gunner, and my 2nd was dmm(dedicated marksman).

Took that smiley sarcastic, so my bad then I guess ;P

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Oh and Gatling Gun is the name of the weapon, gun doesnt mean its type. Its in its title. Just like SA80, AK47 etc

Gatling gun is usually a name refering to all gatling guns, which got its name from a guy named Gatling in the late 1800.

It's like saying machine gun, hand gun. etc where the first name explains something about what kind of weapon it is. And gun refering too it shooting projectiles.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I think most of my company were marksmen, its a high pass rate in the Guards. We are (i still say we cause even when you no longer serve you are a part of your regiment for life) classed as Elite infantry

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I think most of my company were marksmen, its a high pass rate in the Guards. We are (i still say we cause even when you no longer serve you are a part of your regiment for life) classed as Elite infantry

TMBN is the only elite combat bataliion we have in Norway. Which is quite good imo, it makes us get all the good missions :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If guns were made legal over here, H&K would be my choice all day long

Chosen

Resident Freddy
If guns were made legal over here, H&K would be my choice all day long

I had a HK416 aswell as the 417. Both great weapons, but have had some difficulities with it freezing during the coldest days here in Norway :( But they are very precise, easy to use and easy to clean :D (Tho I am not that fund of 5,56 NATO, and miss the good old 7,62 NATO which I use with the 417)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Swedish Army rebrand everything. We use KSP58 (think FN MAG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the national name), GRG58 (actually think its Swedish, wiki page says Carl Gustav recoilless rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and AK4 (think it is HK G3A3) in the Swedish Home Guard.

When I was doing my military service we used KSP58, KSP90 (Minimi) and AK5 (think FN FNC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the original one).

I prefer using the older 7.62 guns as they are so much more fun to use, 5.56 just don't pack the same punch. Although I hate carrying those around :(

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I'm a marksman as of the last APWT (annual personal weapons test), yay! :D

Lets form our own FH marksman troop ! :D

Chosen

Resident Freddy

FHs special forces of taking out unwanted members from a distance? :D

Punishment

Resident Freddy

I have a marksman trophy from the irish version of the TA , thats with the old Fabrique Nationale rifle the irish army used to use

images

only got afew go's with the Steyr tho :(

steyr_aug.jpg

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
looks kinda of um....plasticy? bet it packs a punch tho

Chosen

Resident Freddy
looks kinda of um....plasticy? bet it packs a punch tho

Alot of the parts on the weapon is made by hard plast, so no wonder it looks like that :p It's to have the weight reduced tho, and it is a nice weapon. Tho not my first choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom