News Bombs in Oslo!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Glenn Beck that fountain of wisdom has waded into the debate, comparing the camp to a "Nazy Youth camp" and stating it sounds sinister to teach kids about politics...

this comes from a guy who organises "Liberty Camps" where kids are taught creationism and other Tea Party approved policies...

what an asshole

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've got to admit, the phrase "Labour Youth Camp" did weird me out a bit.

NB. Glenn Beck is an arsehole, but he's never organised youth camps of any description.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
maybe organise is a strong word, but he advertises, and provides a platform for these guys to recruit for their camps: The 9/12 Project

it is not so odd, even in the UK kids are brought in to help political campaigns, go to summer groups, attend political conventions etc

i think the term "youth camp" is what freaks people out, they are not being taught the evils of capitalism, or how to defraud white people, they are taught about debate, democracy and social responsibility (which is not the same as communism, despite this many Americans fear of any sentence with the word "social" in it)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Not to mention the fact that I'd imagine all kids attending are there because they want to be there, believe it or not but it's possible to have an interest in politics before you're able to vote.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
it is not so odd, even in the UK kids are brought in to help political campaigns, go to summer groups, attend political conventions etc

Really? Can't say I've ever heard of a politicised "youth camp" in the UK, unless you regard the Scouts as a paramilitary organisation.

i think the term "youth camp" is what freaks people out, they are not being taught the evils of capitalism, or how to defraud white people, they are taught about debate, democracy and social responsibility (which is not the same as communism, despite this many Americans fear of any sentence with the word "social" in it)

I don't really care tbh, I was just pointing out that one's first response to a bunch of blond nordic kids sat around politically sponsored camp fire isn't a good image. Of course, the reality is different and Glenn Beck is a total tool for pointing it out, but I doubt he was alone in his first impression.

Helme said:
Not to mention the fact that I'd imagine all kids attending are there because they want to be there, believe it or not but it's possible to have an interest in politics before you're able to vote.

I'm sure it is. And putting those particular kids on an island is probably for the best.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
yep, every party organises their youth, the one i saw most of while living in the UK was Conservative Future but that was mostly due to my housemate being a member (And a nutter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom