TV BNP to appear on Question Time

rynnor

Rockhound
I dont like him but this program stinks to high heaven - are the Labour paymasters really stupid enough to think people wont recognise this setup?

Edit - WTF Dimblebys Tye!

rynnor

Rockhound
Jack Straw looks less comfortable than Nick Griffin - are all Labour Politicians incapable of saying theres anything wrong with un-controlled Immigration?

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
As much as he's clearly a racist bigotted fool he has imo conducted himself in a far more civil manner than anyone else in that studio. The BBC have done nothing more than set up a witch hunt against Nick Griffin and allowed anyone to attack him without question.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
As much as he's clearly a racist bigotted fool he has imo conducted himself in a far more civil manner than anyone else in that studio. The BBC have done nothing more than set up a witch hunt against Nick Griffin and allowed anyone to attack him without question.
I dunno about that. He's massively outnumbered so he needs to be careful, but they did highlight his bullshit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I don't think that's quite fair. The level of scrutiny on this programme will have been quite intense.

If anything, the fault is with David Dimbleby who has allowed the programme to become a slanging match. It's fascinating television, but quite unprofessional. I was also quite surprised to see such a young audience. That isn't normal. Griffin was visibly shaking in some places, and despite the obvious bollocks coming out of his mouth on occasion, Dimbleby should have at least silenced the audience to allow him to finish his point.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i think we just witnessed big brother establishment trying in vain to regain control............

the audience were primed and although i do nort like alot of his policies, nick griffin seemed to get on ok.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
it seemed to me that lots of the stuff levelled at nick griffin in that program was rubbish and only makes it appear as though people have no real reason to hate the bnp and are merely jumping on the 'we hate nazis' bandwagon.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I used to think that the BNP's sucess would eventually scare the main political parties into listening to the public and actually acting on things like immigration. But it seems Jack Straw is actually too stupid for this theory of mine to ever work.

rynnor

Rockhound
It was more like a Lynch mob than Question Time - did you see how they ignored questions that werent directly anti-bnp?

Dimbleby seemed to take the night off - letting Straw etc launch into long prepared speeches was a mistake - the whole thing was a rather un-edifying spectacle.

I think whoever planned that was a fool - why wont they trust the public enough to let the guy speak - he will surely screw up in an unscripted way?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It would have been better to host the show in middle-England somewhere, not at White City TV centre. As they just said on This Week, Londoners are not generally supportive of the BNP. It'd be nice to have an audience who were perhaps receptive to Griffin's ideas so there could have been a proper discussion rather than what almost seemed like bullying - even if the victim was a massive racist ****.

00dave

I wonder how many people who watched QT feel the same as us. ie not supporting the BNP but sickened by the attitude of the BBC. Obviously the media will report what they want but I'm trying to get an idea of what the average person thinks.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I missed it :(

Ah well. It's Labour's fault anyway. If their ministers had kept to official cross-party policy of never discussing the BNP they'd not be rising in popularity.

Pretty much like church leaders used to denouce anyone who said they were talking shit as blasphemers. Never enter into debate - it's the best policy. That way they can never get their words out....

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
I only saw a few bits of this and tbh, it kinda seemed like Nick Griffin wasn't really allowed to put his points across, seemed more like "here's a target, throw shit at it"

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I was making a specific point of having my "be objective" hat on and here is my personal analysis.

It was never going to be a debate in the usual QT sense. In fact it seemed like the film Rollerball where it's a bloodbath every game and the last game has no rules. The BBC seemed to suspend the usual rules governing QT by allowing the audience to vent spleen, ask loaded questions and generally get raucous when Mr.Griffin opened his mouth for more than 10 secs. David Dimbleby (DD) doesn't usually let the audience get so vitriolic. What pissed me off far more than anything else was that any attempt at impartiality was thrown out of a 10th floor window. DD is usually impartial and only lets a little of his personal opinion colour his comments. This time it was outright attacks targetted disproportionately against Mr.Griffin.

Putting the quite frankly expected personal attacks aside, let's get to the meat of the programme. Why Mr.Griffin was sat there.

He came across as straight-talking and seemed to have moderated his more extreme tendencies for the show. The problem with straight-talking is that you say things that often cause offence to others. Picking apart what he had to say was difficult between him defending against attacks, but I think it boils down to three things:
1) He is a racist, a bigot and a denies the scale of the Holocaust.
2) He is very good at evading a question and redirecting the course of questioning.
3) He is at heart a simple man, uneducated by some standards, who truly believes his views.

I personally disagree with his views and his party. My basic opinion is unchanged after this programme.

The Conservative lady at one point was SO close to hitting the nail on the head about Govt policy failing and driving people towards the BNP. She bottled it at the last minute though and gave an anodyne answer. If she had actually come out straight and said "Yes, Govt policy is driving people towards the BNP as a portest vote. Here's what we'd do differently"... she would have garnered SO much kudos.

I also LOVED the last question about the Daily Mail column about Steven Gately.
EVERY SINGLE ONE of the panel gave an answer that completely went against what they'd been saying before, making each and every one of them hypocrites... including DD. I also liked Mr.Griffin's jibe against the BBC, talk about biting the hand that feeds you (or in this case gives you oxygen). :)

So it was more of a circus or bear baiting than the usual political debate, which is what the mainstream parties wanted. Labour/Govt simply don't want Mr.Griffin talking because despite being racist and a bigot, he speaks the language that most "ordinary" people in the UK understand... and Lib-Lab-Con must see it as a threat if they attack the party so vociferously.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just watched it.

He's a skilled liar. Uses a lot of truth and can twist a viewpoint.

I was particularly interested when he said something like "you'd never go to New Zealand and tell Maori's that they're not 'indiginous' - so why can't the indiginous people of England be white?"

He also mentioned that the media is used as a tool for social integration in the UK. That is true. Quite obviously so. Doesn't stop him being a racist **** tho.

Yep. Clever. Full of shit. But definately educated.

I think the real reason he's pissy is because he's got a small dick and is threatened by black men :D

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Bonnie Greer stole the show for me, but I think Baroness Warsi did an admirable job at getting her point across.

Whilst I had my reservations about how much longer they would let it roll for (the show).

The unforgivable thing for me was, Nick Griffin denying standing alongside KKK people and then denying VIDEO evidence of this and comments he has made in the past.

I think that another Question Time would be good, maybe a different BNP member and hopefully the country will see how having BNP ideas in politics is such a bad idea.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The unforgivable thing for me was, Nick Griffin denying standing alongside KKK people and then denying VIDEO evidence of this and comments he has made in the past.

IIRC he said he appeared in a debate against him?

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a twat, but I thought he said "yes I did" to that?

I lived in Bradford for ten years. Been on the wrong end of some horrible racial abuse (I'm white, in case you hadn't guessed). It's easy to see why the less educated would look at this guy, hear what he says and vote for him.

Have a look at this. (Picked because Jack Straw's in it. And yes, I know it's Blackburn, not Bradford):

[youtubevid]tyn0ongj0F8[/youtubevid]

I bet you that half of the people who watch it will see a very different film from the other half of people who watch it.

I miss Bradford because I miss its multiculturalism. I miss the Asian weddings, the great food, the stupidly friendly neighbours who didn't give a shit what colour I was.

I don't miss Bradford because of the multiculturalism. I don't miss the abuse and the stupidly unfriendly neighbours who hated me for being white.

If I can feel like this, and I'm reasonably well educated, what the fuck are thick people going to feel?

Nick Griffin's words are poison. He relies on exploiting genuine feeling to achieve political aims. Much like all politicians, but at least the current ruling set want us all to get along so they can control us, rather than kick the "browns" out then control us :(

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
IIRC he said he appeared in a debate against him?

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a twat, but I thought he said "yes I did" to that?

I lived in Bradford for ten years. Been on the wrong end of some horrible racial abuse (I'm white, in case you hadn't guessed). It's easy to see why the less educated would look at this guy, hear what he says and vote for him.

Have a look at this. (Picked because Jack Straw's in it. And yes, I know it's Blackburn, not Bradford):

[youtubevid]tyn0ongj0F8[/youtubevid]

I bet you that half of the people who watch it will see a very different film from the other half of people who watch it.

I miss Bradford because I miss its multiculturalism. I miss the Asian weddings, the great food, the stupidly friendly neighbours who didn't give a shit what colour I was.

I don't miss Bradford because of the multiculturalism. I don't miss the abuse and the stupidly unfriendly neighbours who hated me for being white.

If I can feel like this, and I'm reasonably well educated, what the fuck are thick people going to feel?

Nick Griffin's words are poison. He relies on exploiting genuine feeling to achieve political aims. Much like all politicians, but at least the current ruling set want us all to get along so they can control us, rather than kick the "browns" out then control us :(

You see I thought he originally denied even being with a known KKK member, then when the youtube question came up and he got pressured, he said he was having a debate.

I loved Bradford when I worked there, is Mumtaz still one of the better curry houses there? :)

00dave

SSSSPPPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kill it! kill it! kill it!

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I didn't watch it (forgot it was on whilst sat repping towers in Eve-Online)

I thought it would be a setup when I saw the guest list for the show.

Initially I thought it had been a success from the radio reports this morning. Reading here I get the impression it was a botch job.

I suspect there was a great deal of pressure placed on the BBC to let the public loose at Griffin by the 2 main parties. Personally I'd have been happier if it was more balanced and they actually tried to get down to the main point which is - how will the BNP govern if they get in. Dissecting those policies would do far more damage to Griffin's support than showing him with some joey in a sheet.

M

taB

Part of the furniture
I don't think QT will have gone very far to change peoples' views on the BNP. Nick Griffin is a lying racist **** and that won't change any time soon. His supporters will still support him.

I thought Dimbleby was a shit chair for this. The questions and audience interaction were too aggressive. No real opportunities for own petard hoisting when on the defensive, although I did lol at the "non-violent" sub sect of the KKK. wtf.

The part of this show that was most interesting was how shit Jack Straw was. It's also his fault that the BNP have the influence they currently have in this country.

Oh, and the Conservatives' community woman doesn't like the gays.

Bonnie Greer was pretty cool, but that's exactly why they invited here there and plonked her next to him.

I might or might not have been paying attention to most of it and the above is not wholly serious;).

Chilly

Balls of steel
I did enjoy it when Jack Straw guaranteed immunity from prosecution for anything nick was about to say. "im the justice secretary, I promise you!" :D

taB

Part of the furniture
I did enjoy it when Jack Straw guaranteed immunity from prosecution for anything nick was about to say. "im the justice secretary, I promise you!" :D

Only to be arrested by a swat team afterwards and Jack Straw to pop out and go "NOT! I had my fingers crossed".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom