Best RPG to Play Online

D

darthshearer

What is the best RPG to play online?

I want to start an RPG Online but really dunno where to start!

C

CliffyG

LOL you posted in the DAoC forums so thats a good place to start :). I'd recommend it as it's easy for people to get into who haven't played these sort of games before and still offers a great deal to people of high level. Just make sure you read the manual and check the web for class information before you start.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I've played a few so feel fairly qualified to comment. In order of age...

Ultima On-line

Isometric 3D (very basic by today's standards) graphics. One of the best skill/levelling systems in place. Big, full of content. Very mature now, making it hard to get into. Very rewarding if you do, but I never did.

EverQuest

The game that got me hooked. It's very big, and has oodles of content, challenging and rewarding. Suffers from excrutiating down-time (time resting between battles). Also very mature, so you'll be a newbie in a world of the uber-powerful. Geared to the high level these days, with most content focussed on very high level PvE (player vs environment, i.e. monsters). The game most suited to the 'power-gamer' with hours and hours to spend.

Dark Age of Camelot

In some ways it's EverQuest Jr. in that it follows the same lines of game design as EQ. That doesn't make it a lesser game, though. Many prefer it (I do) and some things it does much better (some simple things like 3d camera control, chat interface, group finder, etc). Less content than EQ, but far more accessible. Also has the best model for large scale PvP (player v player), with the battle between the realms. Probably the most accessible of the current crop of games. Focussed towards group-oriented play.

Asheron's Call 2

I didn't play AC1, so can't really comment. AC2 has pretty gorgeous graphics (if you have the hardware) and a fairly nice skill/levelling system. Large environment, nice quests, evolving content (the story-line changes through the course of the game). Suffers from simplistic combat, bug exploiters and poor group-play support (communications & group feedback). Less group-oriented, so quite a nice game for a solo player.

Neocron

Sci-Fi setting makes a change from the orc-bashing. Pseudo FPS combat is also refreshing. Smaller game-world (apart from the wastelands which are a bit bland and featureless). Very nice player-economy set up (good trade-skills implementation). Suffers from low population, poor sense of community within the game, dodgy PvP implementation and bugs

These are the ones I've tried over that past 2-3 years. Most of which was spent in EQ and DAOC. I've cancelled my subs to all but DAOC now.

Hope this helps.

O

old.mattshanes

Or you can wait for dragon empires out in may that looks DAM good:D

O

old.Trine Aquavit

While DE looks like a very cool game (as do some of the others in development), I'd advise against waiting as you might find yourself waiting longer than you anticipated. MMORPGs are notorious for slippage at release.

Start playing DAOC now :)

G

Gabrial

Heres what i posted about AC2 in another post if its any use:

Originally posted by Gabrial

Quite simply dont.

Its awful - here's a run down of my experiences:

1. Installed game, patcher crashed halfway through corrupting the 1 gig file that forms the bulk of the install. Result, reinstall game and repatch.

2. Get game working and create character. Wander round the world having fun for about an hour before I get stuck in a tree. My char is continuously dragged back there until i give up and log off as the Customer assistant didnt turn up after 10 mins of waiting.

3. Next day I log on and same problem - this time rep arrives and im free again. Decide to craft an item - game crashes. Log in again, make item, decide to go fight something with it. Im told to go east but there is a hill in the way - not a problem I think. I try to climb the hill and get stuck in 'crease' in the landscape. The only way I could traverse the hill was to follow the creases. Got frustrated and logged off.

4. Next day tried to log on and each time I reached character selection screen it disconnected my internet connection (15 times in a row). Tried DAOC, surfed the internet, checked email instead and all these were fine. Tried to get Microsoft support and realised AC2 isnt listed as a support option, despite being flagged as 'supported'

5. Began hunt for receipt.

Conclusion: Im coming back to DAOC but you may see me more in my original realm of hibernia an excali.

B

bacardi_skald

whats the link for dragon empires? :p

S

SilverHood

join the waiting wagon

star wars: galaxies

Shadowbane

PlanetSide

EverQuest2

World of warcraft

those are the big ones to look out for

O

old.mattshanes

Planetside is great but imo dragon empires looks by far the best of the lot,i just hope it plays well too:D

T

Teh Fonz!!1

My experiences of AC2 is different.

I installed the game fine, was hooked for about a week but then started missing DAoC.

The graphics are gorgeous but I suffer from lag and loading spikes too much to make it an enjoyable experience.

Go buy DAoC and love it, trust me. SI is out soon.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Yep, I'm with the Fonz on AC2 - no problems installing/running it. Just didn't like the game as much as DAOC

W

Whoodoo_RD

From what i hear:

star wars: galaxies
Hype? Just cause its SW dont make it a master, although the player base will be enormous on release. Beta testers say fair things about it, although romour has it its gonna be rather expensive to run. Sure the price is gonna be sommit like $20 per month, again Im not sure but thats what ive heard.

Shadowbane
Was supposed to rival DAoC when it launched, and now seems to be slowly picking up the bits missing from DAoC, or at least talking about them. GFX aint too shabby, game play is similar to DAoC, so if it goes free trial might be worth the look.

PlanetSide
Dunno bout this one. Reviews Ive read so far are way to mixed.

EverQuest2
GFX = UBER! Seent only screenies of the story so far, and TBH it looks the nads. Gonna need a good spec machine for it to be at its best, GF4 etc etc. If it follows in the footsteps of its predecessor, this game will be addictive.

World of warcraft
Anyone got a link for this one? Lots of ppl praising it, but Ive never looked into it.

P

Psy|:m00:

The MMORPG market is way too saturated for its own good :(

D

Draigo

Will prolly try SWG next, if it turns out to be a pile of Hyped :m00: then will prolly return here with the SI expansion while waiting for EQ2, my bet for the next big mmorpg

S

starblade

Here's the link to 'Horizons'

Horizons

Been following it a while. Still hoping we get DAoC coop here in europe to entertain me :)

O

old.Kerosene

Eve Online will be the next game for me after reviewing all the up and coming MMORPGS.

Player driven economy
Large Pre-order base
One massive universe (up to 100,000 players online at any time)
5000 Star Sytems with 1-9 planets each and various moons around planets
Free rein of career... solo as pirate, bounty hunter, miner, etc or join a player run corporation and work your way up the corporate hierarchy.
PvP between corporations
Space Stations and mining facilities
Trading & Combat
No levelling, instead all enhancements and skill upgrades are bought

etc..

It's wubbly and gonna be loads better than SW:G, I'll put my money on it. :clap:

www.eve-online.com

A

Arrows

noone mentions final fantasy 11 ....

this will be my one i want ! :)

uber ff fan but just have no idea when its out in uk ... will most likely gt us version of it .... again no idea when though :(

Z

Zerg-Proof

<sigh> bought AC about a month ago in a local store, but couldn't manage to get it running....sent out a message on the support channel, and received a reply telling me that it was perfectly normal since I live in Belgium, and service wasn't yet available there (altho stores did sell the game already) :rolleyes:
I was told Belgium and some other countries would be available to play in mid feb, but it's mid march now and still not possible. What bothers me most of all of this, is that it's impossible to find any updates on this issue anywhere...

O

old.LandShark

Can I just comment that any MMPORG looks good when it's not released yet and nearly nothing is known about it, publicly? :/

O

Old_Bean

Shadowbane looks good, little rough, but not bad...but whats this.....

" European Beta suspended
Due to the current company situation, the Shadowbane Beta will be suspended from today 14.30 (GMT+1).
The european Beta will most likely restarted as soon as internal decisions are made about the progress of shadowbane in europe.

We are very sorry, but we have to make this step until things clear up.

When a decision is made all acounts will still be valid and most likely the characters and the world will be used again. The Beta Board will remain open for further discussions and announcements.

We will keep you informed about the progress"

Thats from the shadowbane website dated 12th feb
http://www.shadowbane.de/index.php?lang=eng

S

SilverHood

yeah, SB EU publishers Swing! went into insolvency.
According to German law, they are not allowed to reveal any information in the first 3 months, unless the lawyer ( who is in charge) has specified that they can..

Its live on the US servers, though we can't play there unless we got a US billing address.

Users who are viewing this thread