Banned Goldfarmer

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Last week i sent an email to blizzard with details that i suspected a character was a gold farmer, attatched a screenshot. Got a reply a few days later saying it had been passed over to the relevent department.

Yesterday i checked to see if that character was on, and they weren't. So i think blizzard have done another round of banning of Gold Farmer.

Might as well attatch the screenshot.

wowscrnshot0412051111033nc.jpg

so if you see any strange behaviour send them an email. i Said i *thought* they might be a gold farmer. They also ran past me as i was going to a mob, and tagged three mobs down the line.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe I'm just really really slow but to me that looks like someone with poor english that is trying to farm gold because he's out of cash. I can't see how that screenshot proves anything at all really. It seems as if you are almost using his bad english against him. The only line in that screenie showing some tendancy to buying gold is when you ask him how much he sells the gold for. He just answered that he doesn't have any cash right now. Doesn't proove a thing, and even less with his poor english :/

If he thinks he doesn't have any gold, then let him farm. It's not illegal to farm gold in-game. Maybe he's saving up to buy a full epic set? Maybe his elite mount?

Maybe he knows he has a lot of spare time and that he will be able to farm for his gear for a few days and he's a powergamer?

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
They apparently banned over 800 accounts in EU for money farming already.

Saw a topic on the forum about it... that's _alot_ of accounts imo.

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Urme the Legend said:
They apparently banned over 800 accounts in EU for money farming already.

Saw a topic on the forum about it... that's _alot_ of accounts imo.

... of 500,000 sold accounts... hmmm...

Why dont they let us buy the gold from those wanting to sell ? "Destroy game balance etc etc etc" - come on... Please! I WANT GOLD! (1 euro pr. 10 gold isnt all that expensive imo - ashame its on another server ;))

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Das_Hibbie said:
Maybe I'm just really really slow but to me that looks like someone with poor english that is trying to farm gold because he's out of cash. I can't see how that screenshot proves anything at all really. It seems as if you are almost using his bad english against him. The only line in that screenie showing some tendancy to buying gold is when you ask him how much he sells the gold for. He just answered that he doesn't have any cash right now. Doesn't proove a thing, and even less with his poor english :/

If he thinks he doesn't have any gold, then let him farm. It's not illegal to farm gold in-game. Maybe he's saving up to buy a full epic set? Maybe his elite mount?

Maybe he knows he has a lot of spare time and that he will be able to farm for his gear for a few days and he's a powergamer?

he had been on for 4 days straight. And if they had banned him then I was right with my assumptions wasn't I

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
you said you dont know they banned him though... you just said he wasnt on the next day.. maybe the holidays ended?

i agree with das_hibbie tbh. i dont see anything except screwy english.

to be honest i think people are far to fast in reporting stuff.. and blizz imho is far to strict.
banning for gold selling.. personally i dont see the problem. imbalance? the moneys going to be on the server despite who's account its on.. but they made it clear and.. ye okie i can accept it.

naming conventions just as bad though. feck knows how long i'll have my char names before losin em.. was a guy on Blizz forums a little while back who posted saying he'd report anyone with CoC breaking names..(e.g legolas, aragorn etc) ... said he had reported over 70 people. to me thats just sad. how bout play the game and leave people alone?

and insults .... to be quite honest i'm scared to insult people in game.
few weeks ago some troll walks upto me.. no apparent reason. and says "noob".... i tell ya i was scared to reply incase he reported me for being abusive or something. The warning given for "stfu noob" a while back is so stupid.

Your not going into Blizzard good books by reporting people.

imo find something better to do with your time.
:puke:

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Vesuvius, the point is that Blizzard have laid out the rules and accept people to abide by them. If you have 'dodgy' character names then expect at some point for them to be reported, if I were you. I don't go out of my way to report names or language, etc, but I would do so if they were directed at me ingame, or if I saw someone bug abusing.

I applaud Blizzard for taking a clear (and also open) stance on banning users - not an easy choice given it does mean a loss of short term revenue. In the long term it will hopefully mean the decent players get to enjoy a more pleasurable gaming environment.

Kalgarn

Fledgling Freddie
lol,didn't knew zarff was playing.knew he wouldn't be able to resist :D

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
its not blizzards rules that bother me. Its great to see people abusing roofs in Gadgetzon dealt with. This kinda thing is something i would consider reporting, did the same in DAoC with a Coruscating mines bug which disallowed mobs to reach the player, or a certain instrument related bug which allowed duping. obvious exploits i can understand, but seems very petty how many reports seem to be made.. you cant expect people to always play nice, people get annoyed at some point and express themselves through insults. It seems to me people take reporting stuff to far.

I've no doubt my own char name will get reported.. although its not directly associated with any specific religion, it does have relation to the word god.
i cant imagine why it would be report worthy, but so far in WoW, it seems that feeling offended doesnt come into it. names get reported because they 'may' break the rules if looked at from one persons perspective.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
Aah ok! Well I didn't get that from your post ;) If that's the case I appologise. But did you just assumehe got banned because he wasn't on? Or did you actually get it confirmed? Assumptions can be dangerous at times :/

I just don't like to go around pointing fingers and accusing people of doing something they aren't proven guilty for.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Vesuvius said:
banning for gold selling.. personally i dont see the problem. imbalance? the moneys going to be on the server despite who's account its on.. but they made it clear and.. ye okie i can accept it.

Yes the gold stays on the server no matter how its introduced, but when people can sell gold for real life cash unhindered *alot* more gold gets introduced into the system in a shorter time than the developers had in mind thus causing inflation of the economy (i.e. gold becomes worthless since there is so much - an item that used to cost 10g will cost 100g and so a person that cant afford to buy gold with irl money is fucked over).

If it was ok to farm for irl money you would see alot more chinese moneyfarmer guilds with characters going 24/7 farming, farming and farming, introducing huge ammounts of gold. We dont want that - we prefer that our hard earned gold that we scrape togehter in the course of a more normal playtime retains its value on the ingame market.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Goldfarming also brings about an unfair imbalance against the less fortunate. Alot of people I know playing games are quite young and perhaps don't work (yet). They have to cancel their subs for one game in order to be able to afford to play the other and so on. I don't see it as fair that I should be able to whip out my credit card and purchase enough gold to buy all uber gear ingame and hence have an advantage. One of the nicer aspects of WoW is their attempt through the rested xp system to help the casual(ish) player like me, and that's enough as far as I am concerned.

Regarding reporting of names, Vesuvius, I would expect the policy to be similar to that of DAOC in Europe. GMs for DAOC would not go looking for examples of bad names (unless they saw very obvious and very bad examples), and the Eyes and Ears teams typically followed their lead too, but they would and did react where complaints were received. If that model IS adopted by Blizzard then I feel it's pretty fair and balanced. There won't be many people reporting every single minor naming abuse (if any, hopefully) and the ones who do will likely find their reports falling on deaf ears before too long on the 'cry wolf' principle.

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Brynn said:
he had been on for 4 days straight. And if they had banned him then I was right with my assumptions wasn't I

Well, I cant see anything in your screenshot to suggest this player is farming gold to sell for real money. And theres nothing unusual about a Lvl 60 player farming for gold to buy better items - especially when you consider how much high end items go for at auction. The player's grasp of English isnt all that great, so how can you make the assumption on very little evidence based on a hunch doesnt say much for your detective skills, Holmes.

I hope when Im out farming at lvl 60 I wont have some beady-eyed, aspiring detective breathing down my neck firing questions at me regarding my intentions.

"M'Lord, I was farming to save up for two Hedgecutters for my warrior. Im innocent!" :(

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
you cant buy all the ubergear cause a lot is BOP ;D

Ormorof

FH is my second home
to me it just looks like someone with very bad english who doesnt see the need to tell a complete stranger what he intends to do with the money :p

ive farmed money before and if asked i would probably just reply "to buy stuff"

the only mention of selling the gold was you asking him how much he was selling it for.. and if he's been there 4 days in a row, well good for him, surely if you know he's been there 4 days in the row you have been there too? :p

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
You all obviously have never seen a real gold farmer.

I can tell you that is one for sure.

First clue: the name.

Second clue: on 24/7

Third clue: very bad/no English (no I didn't say everyone who can't speak English – but add that in with the other factors)

Forth clue: asking gold to leave a camp area

Meduza is his usual self not thinking things through. He wants gold but I can sure as hell bet he would be totally pissed off to have server queues because farmers were running bots on all servers. They can run several accounts at once, only stopping to check them every now and then. He would be pissed off to find the prices for everything go through the roof because there was so much gold on the server that it was worthless. He would be pissed off to find people camping quest mobs/recipe npcs/and so on that he needed and demanding gold to leave. He would be pissed when the farmers griefed him simply because he was in their way and griefing lowbies = more money needed for repairs.

You don't want gold for sale, trust me. There are so many reasons it ruins a game.

edit: fucking word

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
errrr @ brynn

as some of the previous posters have said, that proves absolutely nothing and doesn't show that guy to be an ebaying goldfarmer

for example when i farm gold im usually at the same spot for ages... unless i have to sell but then i just come back

and as for tagging mobs.. why not? i do that a lot when there's other people at my spawn xping. they can't handle 3-4 lvl 57 mobs at a time while i on the other hand, can.

i need gold just as anyone else does. what's wrong with that ?

p.s. i'm really a goldfarmer and i can sell you gold if you want ~~ me love you long time soldier boy

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
The point i got from this was that he reported the person because he thought they might have been a gold farmer. Leaving it up to Blizzard to decide and ban if they are, and not if their not. Proof or not, you can make up an argument for nearly anything but its not Brynn's decision its Blizzards, all he did was point them at a potential, in his opinion, gold farmer.

The decision is Blizzards regardless of what we think.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
If a player is at the keyboard killing mobs whats the problem?

To me all that conversation points out is that a player called Goodgirl is killing mobs trying to get 10g to buy something that is none of your business (ok maybe they are a bit rude, but thats no reason to jump to conclusions) :) They have been there for several days, never does it say they have been there 24/7, most likely the player has logged on there, killed mobs and then logged off there while trying to raise 10g, she/he says "give me 1g and i'll leave" so most likely they have 9g, with only 1g to go.

This player may get in trouble now for no reason other than your overactive imagination and Blizzards obsession with making an example of players, think before you act.

Pippic

Fledgling Freddie
Asha said:
You all obviously have never seen a real gold farmer.

I can tell you that is one for sure.

First clue: the name.

Second clue: on 24/7

Third clue: very bad/no English (no I didn't say everyone who can't speak English – but add that in with the other factors)

Forth clue: asking gold to leave a camp area

Meduza is his usual self not thinking things through. He wants gold but I can sure as hell bet he would be totally pissed off to have server queues because farmers were running bots on all servers. They can run several accounts at once, only stopping to check them every now and then. He would be pissed off to find the prices for everything go through the roof because there was so much gold on the server that it was worthless. He would be pissed off to find people camping quest mobs/recipe npcs/and so on that he needed and demanding gold to leave. He would be pissed when the farmers griefed him simply because he was in their way and griefing lowbies = more money needed for repairs.

You don't want gold for sale, trust me. There are so many reasons it ruins a game.

edit: fucking word

Fucking Word!

Edit: and yeah this screenshot is not enough proof for sure, but blizzard will check logs etc and ban if they can see its a goldfarmer

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Tallen said:
If a player is at the keyboard killing mobs whats the problem?

To me all that conversation points out is that a player called Goodgirl is killing mobs trying to get 10g to buy something that is none of your business (ok maybe they are a bit rude, but thats no reason to jump to conclusions) :) They have been there for several days, never does it say they have been there 24/7, most likely the player has logged on there, killed mobs and then logged off there while trying to raise 10g, she/he says "give me 1g and i'll leave" so most likely they have 9g, with only 1g to go.

This player may get in trouble now for no reason other than your overactive imagination and Blizzards obsession with making an example of players, think before you act.

the problem is company's doing gold farming, a company was shut down not long ago in mexico for gold farming for DAoC... they had mexican "peasants" working 12 hour shifts farming gold which they then sold online paying them bottom rate wages.... and im sure now that china is opening up and cheap labour becomes available these people will move in there too, so next time you think about buying your gold online think of the reasons people buy fair trade coffee and stuff! ;)

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
china is in front of mexico if anything
but what's worse?
farming gold on a computer for 12 hours or working in a plastics factory making barbies for 12 hours?
^^

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
I Heard about a blackfalcon member who farmed gold and sold it and his/HER character..

3v1l GOld pharmarz!! :):flame::wanker::m00:

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
If the person was a gold farmer, i dont think they would take 1g to go away... I mean 1g is worth like what? 50cents? They would be there for a purpose to get a lot of gold worth a lot of money for their time spent. Sounds more like a person trying to farm some gold for something they want to buy. Mages can get some pretty nice eq even at 60 off AH. Not everything is bop. And some of the top Eagle items sell for a lot. Also 900g for a mount hurts the pocketbook a bit.

A real gold farmer would prolly just ignore you, and definitely not take some miniscule amount of gold (1g lol) to go somewhere else..

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Jupitus said:
Goldfarming also brings about an unfair imbalance against the less fortunate. Alot of people I know playing games are quite young and perhaps don't work (yet). They have to cancel their subs for one game in order to be able to afford to play the other and so on. I don't see it as fair that I should be able to whip out my credit card and purchase enough gold to buy all uber gear ingame and hence have an advantage.
Thats the only reason I can accept of why its not "allowed" to sell gold for IRL cash. Good point, even tho I dont agree with it.

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Asha said:
Meduza is his usual self not thinking things through.
So personal attacks r allowed on this forum? If that one isnt personal, I donno what is... I CALL IN THE BAN-POLICE!

Ban Ban Ban!

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisperess said:
Then farm it by the means available within the game.

It's really as simple as that.
I rly cba'ed... Im work a lot of hours every day, and just wanna have fun when I play. And to me its more fun having the best gear and kill sligthly higher lvl mobs than having crap gear, go farm, and then buy good gear in order to be able to kill slighty higher lvl mobs.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Meduza said:
I rly cba'ed... Im work a lot of hours every day
Well, so do I, so that point is kinda moot on it's own.
Meduza said:
and just wanna have fun when I play. And to me its more fun having the best gear and kill sligthly higher lvl mobs than having crap gear, go farm, and then buy good gear in order to be able to kill slighty higher lvl mobs.
Fair enough, I find it fun to try get the best items possible; but by putting some effort into it.

There's still a "cap" of how high level mobs you can kill, when they start resisting everything you throw at them and they get crushing blows just about every hit.

Surely it has to take away a lot of the feeling of the game when you (in the word's most unpersonal meaning) can simply buy the stuff for real life cash?

Kinda like dupes/hacks to get better gear in for instance the Diablo games took away any joy in finding items at all?

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Picture yourself having 100+ people farming gold 12 hour+ each day on your server, then selling them for IRL cash. That would screw the economy on the server, gold wouldn't be worth anything after awhile. And it would give an advantage for those players that can "afford" to buy the gold, without putting any effort into the game.

This is almost the scenario on Excalibur/DAoC, it's too much money on the server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom