Band of Brothers (HD)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have now watched 8 episodes (thats right I went and got the box set).

I have to say its excellent, I obviously had to watch it in a room on my own to take it in.

The snow/medic episodes were bloody grim but excellent.

I still don't know who Nix is though, is he above Winters or the same, I don't understand what his role is meant to be.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If you mean the bloke who drinks all the time (I cant remember the name :) ) then he starts off the same as Winters but ends up lower.

It IS filmed really well isnt it, its really gritty.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
The snow scenes are just so grim and they had to sit in those holes for a month. I really like the medic Eugene, he plays a great part.

Yes mate Nix is the one who drinks all the time.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be fair name an american film about war (which the British were involved with) that didn't portray them as the mightiest?

Hollywood and the wankers that make the films never ever portray the truth when it comes to war films. Yes, they helped us win WWII but they didn't win it on their own.

I like BoB but not convinced it portrayed the British in the way it should have. Apart from "A bridge to far" what other British films are there out there that deal with war?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I have now watched 8 episodes (thats right I went and got the box set).

I have to say its excellent, I obviously had to watch it in a room on my own to take it in.

The snow/medic episodes were bloody grim but excellent.

I still don't know who Nix is though, is he above Winters or the same, I don't understand what his role is meant to be.

nixon is many things..
a staff/supply/intelligence officer, not a field man, and an alcholic
hes around the same rank as winters first few episodes , but winters outstrips him

and, well, its about americans, so ofc its biased, and its the paras, who are the image of americans in ww2 really, silly haircuts etc all included
the british do appear a bit but its not about them, so didnt bother me

thing about it that got me most was the ...randomness of it all. cos it wasnt scripted it didnt flow like something like saving private ryan would. those 2 in the foxhole in the snow getting shell hit was a bit of a shocker

/edit: just to add, liked the way it didnt gloss over stuff. the prisoners being murdered on dday ? guarneare (sp?) going ape shit at the start etc. and the guy at the end at the roadblock (trying not to spoil it)
cant remember which it was, either winters, or spiers, but one of em shot one of their own men for disobeying orders, they didnt put that in tho, really quite harsh

and ofc spiers, who is a marginal character, went on to many things, including Governor of Spandau Prison post war

throdgrain

FH is my second home
To be fair name an american film about war (which the British were involved with) that didn't portray them as the mightiest?

Hollywood and the wankers that make the films never ever portray the truth when it comes to war films. Yes, they helped us win WWII but they didn't win it on their own.

I like BoB but not convinced it portrayed the British in the way it should have. Apart from "A bridge to far" what other British films are there out there that deal with war?

Good question. I will return with answers :)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Good question. I will return with answers :)

If you dont mind RAF films, I would heartily reccomend:

Battle of Britain
633 Squadron
Mosquito Squadron
Angels One Five

Films I grew up on as a kid, and I still love them. They even used the music from 633 Squadron in one of the episodes of Top Gear!

Theres also a bunch of Navy films out there, such as Sink The Bismark, but I don't really remember them that well, only that they were in black and white and it involved long periods of time standing in conning towers staring out to sea.

Check the RAF films out anyway if you haven't.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
bridge on the river kwai

war to end all wars

4 feathers

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If you dont mind RAF films, I would heartily reccomend:

Battle of Britain
633 Squadron
Mosquito Squadron
Angels One Five

Films I grew up on as a kid, and I still love them. They even used the music from 633 Squadron in one of the episodes of Top Gear!

Theres also a bunch of Navy films out there, such as Sink The Bismark, but I don't really remember them that well, only that they were in black and white and it involved long periods of time standing in conning towers staring out to sea.

Check the RAF films out anyway if you haven't.

I watched Mosquito Squadron on the telly the other day, had the bloke from Man from Uncle in it :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Atonement features a very strong depiction of Dunkirk, although the bit where she pops out of the fountain is still better.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I watched Mosquito Squadron on the telly the other day, had the bloke from Man from Uncle in it :)

haha, same. dont know who the actor is, hes just "the man from UNCLE"

In which we serve is a navy film ,based on montbatten i think, rather good

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom