Band of Brothers (HD)

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
yes but he played a fantastic part.absolute evil bastard giving them pasta then making them run currahee ...class :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
So it had Ross in and he cooked pasta?

GGRRRRRR MANLY!

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I dunno Trem, I just didn't see what value you added to the topic by calling it dreadful.

Perhaps your comparison of it with Saving Private Ryan may have led to more interesting debate.

Why is BoB 'shite' whereas SPR is awesome? Repetitive? Do tell.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
I dunno Trem, I just didn't see what value you added to the topic by calling it dreadful.

Perhaps your comparison of it with Saving Private Ryan may have led to more interesting debate.

I think Trem meant to say Shaving Ryan's Privates.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
FS I love Simon Pegg!

:eek:
*beep*

John Spart... no wait... Trem

You are hereby fined 2 credits for over use of the :eek: smiley.

Trem

There was a massive following of it on here when it was first shown. So I went and got them all and took them away on holiday with me to watch when the weather was shite. I did sit down nice and quiet and started to plow through them but I felt it offered nothing new....or interesting. SPR set a milestone for war films, it was brutal, beautiful, moving and it hit the nail on the head the suffering the soldiers must of gone through.

I saw BoB as a cash in on the back of SPR and I truly thought no interesting stuff was in it, it used the popular actors of the time to get viewers imo (for the record I loved Friends :D )

Each episode on BoB there always seemed to the same group of soldiers standing by the same fucking hedgerow....you know to show it isn't in Iraq or something.

Calling someone a troll for posting in a thead that goes against the popular feeling is a bit silly really, if you had put in the title 'for fans of BoB only' or something like that and I came in here and slagged it off then call me a troll until you are blue in the face.

People cannot all like the same thing.

Meg :eek:

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
There was a massive following of it on here when it was first shown. So I went and got them all and took them away on holiday with me to watch when the weather was shite. I did sit down nice and quiet and started to plow through them but I felt it offered nothing new....or interesting. SPR set a milestone for war films, it was brutal, beautiful, moving and it hit the nail on the head the suffering the soldiers must of gone through.

watch the bastogne episode m8.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well, just to recap my opinion, BoB is a pretty good series, and well filmed and feels very realistic.

On the other hand to me it stinks of American we-won-the-war-on-our-own bullshit. Watch the Bastogne episode? Watch the Market Garden episode.

Somehow the Yanks are all up to go but are somehow let down by the British and have to retreat. Never mind the 8000 or so British Paratroops cut off at Arnhem fighting to the bitter end, troops many germans who fought there said were the best and bravest they had ever encountered.

Never mind that the British tanks saved trhe lives of many Americans at the Nijmegen bridge.

Never mind that many say it was the British sweeping down through the Ardennes that as much as anything took the pressure off Bastogne.

Just write it how you want to see it Mr Ambrose.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
i agree throddy but was he not in the 101st himself?.and everytime i see dale dye it makes me want to piss myself laughing.the market garden episode did seem to gloss over the amount of british troops that were lost.:(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No he wasnt in the war at all. Its amazing that he can write Pegasus Bridge then Band of Brothers, they're light years apart :(

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I thought Band of Brothers was excellent, even though David Schwimmer pissed me off greatly. Granted it does greatly glorify the American P.O.V., but then again it was marketed towards the American market, and it does mainly revolve around Easy Company of the 101st, not the 46th Royal Marine Commandos.

Either way, I still think its one of the best series I've watched on T.V. and, as scooby mentioned, the Bastogne episode was very moving. Just such a shame we appear to have veered off into Lost, Heroes and all those sorts of shows.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you want a good old Brit war film then you should watch 'A Bridge too Far' which although a bit long, is still an ace film.

I love the bit where the Kraut comes over the bridge to discuss terms, and the British soldier in charge tells him that they must surrender at once :D

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
If you want a good old Brit war film then you should watch 'A Bridge too Far' which although a bit long, is still an ace film.

I love the bit where the Kraut comes over the bridge to discuss terms, and the British soldier in charge tells him that they must surrender at once :D

I love that film, it also held the record for the largest number of pyrotechnics used in a film for quite a while if I'm correct?

Trem

I just watched episode 5 in HD.

It was ok and I will watch 1 or 2 more but omfg what is the makers problem with the british troops. Everyone of them was a hooray Henry and everyone of them seemed to want to bum the american troops, made me want to puke.

At least in this episode they had an issue with friendly fire as always.

throdgrain

FH is my second home

fantastic film mate, I bought a collector copy off play.com only the week before last oddly enough :)

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
People cannot all like the same thing.

Can't agree more, and of course your allowed to hate it. I just counted it as a troll as you came into a pro-BoB thread, told me it was shit, and didn't tell me *why*.

If you've got a reason for that opinion, then I have no problem with you airing it :)

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
ive got a bridge too far as well fantastic film,ive been after guns of naverone which i loved but cant seem to get it anywhere.

i bet milkshake thinks escape to victory is fantastic :)

Trem

Can't agree more, and of course your allowed to hate it. I just counted it as a troll as you came into a pro-BoB thread, told me it was shit, and didn't tell me *why*.

If you've got a reason for that opinion, then I have no problem with you airing it :)

Thing is, now, I want to watch another episode, I will do tonight.

I think also I have a problem with that guy out of Office Space (in which he was excellent), his face just doesn't seem to fit in BoB.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Thing is, now, I want to watch another episode, I will do tonight.

I think also I have a problem with that guy out of Office Space (in which he was excellent), his face just doesn't seem to fit in BoB.

Nix? I though he was excellent in it. Thing about BoB is that if you get past the anti-British thing its probably the best drama about soldiers ever made(and a lot of American troops were anti-British, they thought British generals always gave Americans the nasty jobs and that British troops were gun-shy; with some justification. Read Max Hastings' Armageddon, it gives a good critique of this. Of course British soldiers often felt the same way about Americans, also with some justification, particularly in Italy).

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The American generals wernt gun-shy, they sent countless thousands to thier deaths, sometimes needlessly. Montgomery knew his troops were limited, and didnt want allied deaths for no reason, so was more cautious.

But at the end of the day it was Monty who masterminded and led the D-Day assaults, and he was replaced (by no-one!) after it was successful, to suit the American media ...

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
The American generals wernt gun-shy, they sent countless thousands to thier deaths, sometimes needlessly. Montgomery knew his troops were limited, and didnt want allied deaths for no reason, so was more cautious.

But at the end of the day it was Monty who masterminded and led the D-Day assaults, and he was replaced (by no-one!) after it was successful, to suit the American media ...

was it not monty though(among others) that materminded operation market garden to get the tanks accross the rhine. ?much to the detrement of 9000 british paratroopers.which was i believe the single most biggest cock up in intelligence of the entire war.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
on a lighter note,im off work today with a work related injury(great news lol)and sore thumb..dont ask...

anyway im gonna piss the neighbours off and watch a war film on my nice 40" samsung lcd and im gonna turn the surround sound speakers to full.which film though?.....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Yes, what I should have said is that Brit troops often thought American generals were gun-happy; they absolutely hated Mark Clark (although a lot of American troops weren't keen on him either). Of course Commonwealth troops also always thought they got the shitty end of the stick compared to Brit troops.

Nature of war I guess, but my point is, the anti-British sentiment in BoB is based on reality. The only bit that rankled for me was the XXX Corps tank commander bit, but A Bridge Too Far had that bit with Robert Redford berating a XXX Corps officer as well; Americans have often felt that they did their bit during Market Garden and so did 1st Airborne, and that XXX Corps let the side down, and ultimately it was Monty's fault. (I know its more complicated than that, but I think its safe to say that Russians or Germans would have linked up to Arnhem no matter what, and Americans would have tried).

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I love 'A Bridge Too Far' (the most), I love 'Escape To Victory', I love 'Bridge over the River Kwai', I love 'Saving Private Ryan', I love 'Band of Brothers'....all for different reasons.

To be fair, it's got to be fucking awful before I switch off :S

Maybe I'm just too happy, and not cynical enough :S

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yes, what I should have said is that Brit troops often thought American generals were gun-happy; they absolutely hated Mark Clark (although a lot of American troops weren't keen on him either). Of course Commonwealth troops also always thought they got the shitty end of the stick compared to Brit troops.

Nature of war I guess, but my point is, the anti-British sentiment in BoB is based on reality. The only bit that rankled for me was the XXX Corps tank commander bit, but A Bridge Too Far had that bit with Robert Redford berating a XXX Corps officer as well; Americans have often felt that they did their bit during Market Garden and so did 1st Airborne, and that XXX Corps let the side down, and ultimately it was Monty's fault. (I know its more complicated than that, but I think its safe to say that Russians or Germans would have linked up to Arnhem no matter what, and Americans would have tried).

Not really fair to say Montys fault as he wasnt even there, however I know what you mean. The bit about the tank commander is exactly what Im on about though. No need whatsoever to put it in, but just do so anyway.

Mark Clarke was an absolute **** though .

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
yeh i agree m8 i couldnt believe that a british tank commander wouldn't believe a paratrooper when he says there is a tiger tank hidden behind the building in front,that was rubbish he would have blown the shit outta the barn then the tiger"no unecesarry destruction my arse.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
What would have actually happened is they would have all reversed like fuck until there were at least 4 Shermans, or preferably a firefly :) The Tiger tank would have kicked thier arses otherwise :)

Trem

Just watched that episode and really enjoyed it (apart from what has been mentioned above, and once again a hooray Henry Englishman).

Maybe I do like BoB after all.

Stunning in HD as well btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom