Ban against....

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Religions are cults or gangs, and the larger your gang the more people have to capitulate to your demands.

Of course this is a well and dandy until the people you are pissing off suddenly decide to wipe you all out using your religous garb/attitude/culture to single you out for elimination, as has happened many times before.

If you follow the patterns of history all these cults/religions are heading for shit creek and you may have noticed a slight ramping up of propaganda/rhetoric against the Iranians of late, well they're next and good ol' Castro has pointed out how bad it will go, but who gives a shit, it's not like we'll run out of ipod's while were carpet bombing brown people.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well the anti-religion gang isn't any better really and i forsee a lot more hostility from that group of people then say the J.C. Fanclub.

Religions, beliefs, custos, ways of life, etc etc...those are not the problem of people. People are the problem of people.

If people can start a fight at kids playgrounds, or over go karting procedures, it's quite clear the problem isn't in some guy saying "Thou shalt not act like a dick" :p

Oh and football, should ban that too. So much fighting and rampaging involved in it.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
You know when I was a kid, I wore a baseball cap occasionally, especially when it was raining and in winter I used to wear a balaclava because it was warm, and I don't really like being cold and nobody really cared. Why would they? These days kids aren't allowed to wear a baseball cap when they go to school, nor are they allowed to wear a balaclava.

We invaded Iraq to ensure good relations with the US and to ensure that Sadam couldn't control middle eastern oil production. We did this on the very flimsy pretence of removing nuclear weapons (which didn't exist) and bringing freedoms to a people who were apparently living under the thumb of a dictator, who we had been selling weapons to on the cheap for the previous 30 years. Now we dictate the law in their own country and prevent them from wearing clothes with religious significance in our country (that is when we are not accusing them of being terrorists or deporting them).

Any illusion of the UK being an enlightened, free & democratic nation has been pissed all over in the last 20 years. If any of you still think it is, well I'm sorry, I can only assume you spend your days with your head stuck in Blackpool beach and being frowned at by passing donkeys.

Don’t assume things will get better under this government, just because the odd labour law is being repealed. It’s early days in this new Con/Dem nation, and I suspect things are going to get a whole lot worse.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
At the expense of sounding like a member of the BNP my personal view is that it should be banned within any country without a majority of people practicing the muslim faith.

I feel that the Burka itself is an archaic and dehumanising symbol for those women who are forced to wear it / indoctrinated to wear it - I see it akin to say something like slavery, something that was once part of the world but has now been banned as the modernised world develops.

Hiding one's face within British culture is a taboo, the phrase "when in Rome" springs to mind when talking about the Burka.

Within cultures that accept the Burka as a religious symbol that's fine for it to be worn, I have no issue with that (well I lie, apart from the fact I see the Burka as an extremely oppressive form of control exerted on women); by fine I mean it's fine that their local traditions are maintained and respected if that is what the populous wants. If i went to Dubai for example I would think nothing of women wearing the Burka.

Again at the risk of sounding like someone from the BNP I think Britain itself has become completely bastardised, and has no cultural identity. I'm not against immigration - far from it, I fully support immigration as long as those who wish to live and become a part of Britain accept British culture to an extent.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I couldn't give a monkeys if they want to wear the burka. I don't feel threatened by them. I don't feel we've suddenly lost "our national identity" because a small number of Moslem women wear a face veil. Britain is a mish-mash of ethnic cultures creeds & religions, and I've got nothing against it. In fact, its what makes living in London great. Garean: one minute you say hiding ones face in British culture is taboo (it isn't actually), the next minute you say we don't have a British culture. Make your mind up.

I say let them wear it. I see them walking down Edgware Road everyday. Are they breaking the law? No. Are they law abiding? Yes. And Garaen, you seem to be confusing your own views with the dehumanising argument. Plenty of Muslim women who break away from their religious upbringings and "go westernised". The few who wear it do so on religious/personal reasons, and even if they were dehumanised, its not for the state to get involved it. Its an item of religious clothing. Not chains & shackles.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Lamp, go easy, Britain fought long and hard in the 40s so that people were free to live as they wish and not be subject to rule over it ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Banning burkas was never a problem before the western world became anti-Moslem, and Moslem women were wearing face veils long before 9/11.

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
If wearing Burkas is ok in British banks then they will have to look at those of us who wear skid-lids to do our banking as the british banks generally have argued that they need to see the faces on their security cameras. If burkas are not ok in banks then some muslim women will have to think again.:ninja:

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
A woman shouldnt be wearing any clothes at all tbh. In with the ban!

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Garean: one minute you say hiding ones face in British culture is taboo (it isn't actually), the next minute you say we don't have a British culture. Make your mind up.

The few who wear it do so on religious/personal reasons, and even if they were dehumanised, its not for the state to get involved it. Its an item of religious clothing. Not chains & shackles.

Regarding it not being a taboo, are we living in the same country? Have you heard the term hoodie before? Are you saying it's perfectly fine to walk down the street with your face covered?

It's interesting to know that you're not opposed to women being dehumanised as long as the state isn't involved, heaven forbid the state in any way attempt to lay down any social rules to maintain harmony.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, we both see the Burka as something different.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Well, it was banned because France is based on liberty, equality, fraternity and secularism, and this violates it (thats the "official" reason anyway)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
It´s interesting that they were hassling with the formulation of that special law. They tried real hard to avoid any references to Islam as such, although it was obvious that this law is specifically designed for exactly that target group.
How in the world can we have the cheeks to call us the land of the free, civilized, well cultured and liberal? We´re just as restrictive and naive as all those countries that we pretend to "liberate" from their state of underdevelopement and religious stubbornness.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't understand people mentioning "land of the free" etc, freedom within this world is merely an illusion, no one is truely free to do exactly as they please (thankfully) there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure equity and harmony.

For those that are a pro burka, would you also be pro nudity? If you allow people to wear exactly what they want, wouldn't you allow people to wear as little as they want?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
First;

there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure equity and harmony.

Bwahah. That's a new one.

Second;

would you also be pro nudity? If you allow people to wear exactly what they want, wouldn't you allow people to wear as little as they want?

Works well in barcelona, why not.

I for one am not pro-burka here though, just not anti-burka. I'm not exactly preaching how cool burkas are.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
For those that are a pro burka, would you also be pro nudity? If you allow people to wear exactly what they want, wouldn't you allow people to wear as little as they want?
im all for people should be allowed to walk around nude.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
A woman shouldnt be wearing any clothes at all tbh. In with the ban!

+1

This is a good use of the "thin end of the wedge" strategy. Start with the Niqab, then move to strappy tops (health and safety grounds of course) then, with the basic principle established, we can keep legislating until the only clothes allowed are two-piece bikinis (for hot lasses) and perhaps sweatpants and trouser suits for the old and/or fat. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom