Baffling Internet Problem

Damini

Part of the furniture
Does anyone here have any idea why my computer would suddenly not let me get onto www.ebay.com or co.uk (other than out of compassion for my bank balance)? It works on Kenny's computer, which is on the same network as me, but for the past two days I haven't been able to access it on my PC. Ping times out. It seems to be the only website I can't reach, and it's driving me spare. I've done all the acts of someone who's a techy tard (i.e. rebooted my PC, made begging noises, and run spybot) but still no joy. Any clues? Could it be a defective network card?

Kenny's tried briefly helping, but he spends most of his time being a Wookie right now :( The pro's and con's of dating a computer nerd.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Strange. My housemate had exactly the same problem with some western union website. He couldn't get to it, but I could. It resolved itself after a day or two and then stopped working again. No idea what you should do, but just thought you'd like to know you're not alone in your plight.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Cheers, I think. Maybe we can start a tech version of a leper colony, where we aren't allowed to mingle with other net users :(

www.apple.com/trailers/ also isn't working for me, but instead of ping timing out, I get told that they couldn't find the host. What difference that makes I have no idea.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If I was more of a geek I'd take offence and remind you that it was my housemate with the problem, not me, and I didn't really do anything to look into it, but if I did I could probably fix it, I just couldn't be bothered.

But I'm not that much of a geek. So that's all dandy then.

edit: jesus, what appalling grammar :\

Sar

Part of the furniture
I'd guess it's your ISP's DNS servers playing up.

:)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Have you tried changing your DNS servers?

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
Sar said:
I'd guess it's your ISP's DNS servers playing up.

i'd guess you never read the original post

it works on another pc of the same network..

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Try deleting all your temporary files, and clearing your browser's history.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Getting in to semantics, she didn't say that she tried the apple site on Kenny's pc..

Damini

Part of the furniture
nath said:
If I was more of a geek I'd take offence and remind you that it was my housemate with the problem, not me, and I didn't really do anything to look into it, but if I did I could probably fix it, I just couldn't be bothered.

But I'm not that much of a geek. So that's all dandy then.

Hey, I never meant to offend you! I meant that me and your housemate could go and join a tech leper colony, because we're barred from certain websites.

I haven't tried Apple on Kenny's site, but he checked ebay earlier and it definately worked. I've flushed the dns (heh, like I know what that means, but under command I've done it, and it made no difference). The firewall would be the same for me and Kenny, so it can't be that. I'll try the temporary files thingy next. Cheers for the advice guys.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Finally. It's solved. Kenny dragged himself out of the chair once he heard me shouting about DNS flushing and after two days of waiting the problem is solved.

Man rules:

If you ask once, it doesn't get done.

If you ask twice, you get told in a more annoyed voice that it will get done, but it doesn't get done.

If you ask three times, it's nagging, and doesn't get done ON PRINCIPLE

If you ask other men to help, your man will suddenly become helpful.

Something to do with ports, which he's now fixed. AKA something to do with ports that Kenny screwed up in the first place? I wouldn't touch a port with a boat, so I know it wasn't me. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Damini said:
Man rules:

If you ask once, it doesn't get done.

If you ask twice, you get told in a more annoyed voice that it will get done, but it doesn't get done.

If you ask three times, it's nagging, and doesn't get done ON PRINCIPLE

If you ask other men to help, your man will suddenly become helpful.

:D Spot on :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
Hey, I never meant to offend you! I meant that me and your housemate could go and join a tech leper colony, because we're barred from certain websites.

Hey.. like I said, I didn't take offence because I'm not that much of a geek. OK?

Good, glad we cleared that up. :eek7:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Woman Rules :-

Ask Once : "How should I know how to do it ? It's not my job. That's all you seem to care about is getting things done which are of no interest to me whatsoever. You really upset me you know. It just shows how little you think about me. I've hard a hard day and I'm really tired. Can't you see that ? Anyway have you painted that door yet ? What do you mean which door ? I've already told you. Yes, I did, don't try to make me out to be mad. I distinctly remember you were watching some bloody silly film with fairies or dwarfs in it or some such rubbish and I was trying to tell you about my cousin Jane's husband, not that you were paying much attention. Too much like interrupting it felt to me. Anyway, I specifically mentioned that her husband had just repainted their front door and told you that ours was a disgrace and I don't know how you can live with it..."

We don't ever ask again...

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
If it was possible to reply with two words, this post would be, ":D"

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Women rules:

1) Why haven't you put that shelf up yet?

I've not had time

Men rules

2) Where's my tea?

GET OUT!

*gets coat*

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
1. Find out where Jonty lives.
2. Gag and blindfold teh man.
3. Bring him to your house.
4. Make him fix the problem.
5. Keep him locked up ina comfy dresser in case it happens again.

Do I get a cookie now?

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
Something to do with ports, which he's now fixed. AKA something to do with ports that Kenny screwed up in the first place? I wouldn't touch a port with a boat, so I know it wasn't me. Anyway, thanks for the help.

you have a firewall on your and on kennys pc or you two both share the same firewall (as in your internet connection is through the pc/server/router that runs the firewall)?
Just bit puzzled how a port could be wrong at your pc and not on his, allthough i have no clue why ebay isnt using standardports like other sites..

(btw i dont have much knowledge about this, just that if the problem was on your pc than your pc might have been installed little more secure (more ports closed) than his or atleast thats what i think).

Salteh

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
Finally. It's solved. Kenny dragged himself out of the chair once he heard me shouting about DNS flushing and after two days of waiting the problem is solved.

Man rules:

--man rules here--

You could have offered him a cookie...

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I'd forwarded ports to my PC so I could get the webcam and stuff working over MSN. It never really occuried to me until I actually stopped playing SWG long enough to think about it.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
WPKenny said:
I'd forwarded ports to my PC so I could get the webcam and stuff working over MSN. It never really occuried to me until I actually stopped playing SWG long enough to think about it.
A little odd, considering eBay only relies on port 80 traffic doesn't it? Tis web traffic after all... Any forwarding which affects port 80 traffic should affect all sites the clients browse, and in those cases both clients.

Sounds more like what I do to bym occasionally when her surfing gets OTT, handy little feature being able to block certain sites from certain client PC's via content filter or DNS ;)

Xav

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Xavier said:
A little odd, considering eBay only relies on port 80 traffic doesn't it? Tis web traffic after all... Any forwarding which affects port 80 traffic should affect all sites the clients browse, and in those cases both clients.

Sounds more like what I do to bym occasionally when her surfing gets OTT, handy little feature being able to block certain sites from certain client PC's via content filter or DNS ;)

Xav

It was just as I said. I'd forwarded ports for MSN to enable the use of the webcam. The second I removed the forwarding, it worked again. I don't monitor and restrict my girlfriend's surfing like you do.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Still doesn't answer why msn port forwarding would affect one website and not others tho... :eek7:

I know of users on eBay who have to go through the likes of Squid caches, pure port 80 traffic, so I can't see how any amount of faffing with anything but the web port could have that effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom