Baffling Internet Problem

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I was a little confused by the fact that a quote by Treebeard linked to the IMDB profile of John Ryhs Davies. Didn't realise he did the voiceover. Cheers for the enlightment Doh_boy.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
w.
Whipped said:
I was a little confused by the fact that a quote by Treebeard linked to the IMDB profile of John Ryhs Davies. Didn't realise he did the voiceover. Cheers for the enlightment Doh_boy.
cheers! :D

I found out from the extended dvd's.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
If we're talking pictures, I have the best picture ever.

Touché

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Nos said:
If we're talking pictures, I have the best picture ever.

Touché
Dear god, who is that?

\\edit: I'm half inclined to think it's one of those images from SA or somewhere, for general forum abuse, but I've got a sneaking suspicion it's actually from a BarryBeer - please, enlightenment!

Damini

Part of the furniture
It's started up again, and this time Kenny hasn't been port manipulating, so maybe it was just coincedence that it fixed it before :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My money was always on DNS servers failing you... are you set to the same as Kenny? Can you ping the DNS servers from your machine? Can Kenny?
You'll find the DNS servers in your networks settings/internet options somewhere...

Damini

Part of the furniture
NGHRghrgrrhh!!!

Still the same old recurrent problem. Sometimes we reset the server and it fixes, but sometimes it just breaks and refuses to work, and it makes me want to headbut inanimate objects.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
*chuckles*

You're not running a server in your home are you? Is the connection being shared by anything more complicated than a router?

Xav

Will

/bin/su
I used to get a similar problem when I forwarded all default ports to one PC on my network. After a while, all web access would mysteriously die, and I had to reboot the router.

leggy

Probably Scottish
That image is blatantly aimed at attacking scooba, yet it remains. I, on the otherhand, tell RV to shut the fuck up and my post gets deleted.

I have a good reason, Nos doesn't.

Blatant discrimination.

Oh, on the internet issue. I have no idea.

Will

/bin/su
Use the report post button if it offends you. I tend to leave borderline things until that point, if they get reported, I err on the heavy stick side instead.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
On a totally irrelevent note, is that zool in your avatar Will? Still remember the free chuppa chup that came with the game :)

Will

/bin/su
Ch3tan said:
On a totally irrelevent note, is that zool in your avatar Will? Still remember the free chuppa chup that came with the game :)
Indeed it is.:)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Well I'm stumped.

I forwarded a few ports to my pc. I've got a web server running from my pc so I have port 80 forwarded to that, there's a couple of other ports for pcanywhere etc but nothing else significant apart from 443 which didn't have any adverse effects previously.

The only thing that's changed recently is I flashed the router to get it to allow me to forward ranges of numbers and I'm fairly positive I can't flash it back even if I could get hold of the old BIOS.

My pc has no trouble with any particular web sites that I've noticed. Her pc can get onto Ebay etc shortly after rebooting the router but at some point after that it dies. I've removed the DNS I had manually entered a while back but that didn't seem to fix it and told it to use Pipex's own DNS servers.

I don't think that's it anyway cos like I say, my pc has no problems with getting to ebay or any other site her pc won't let her into.

Okay, losts of waffle up there. To sum up...only thing that's changed since the problem occoured is flashing the router to allow number ranges, which are no longer entered into the router anyway. Ebay works for Damini shortly after reseting the router but at some point stops working. I don't have any of these problems on my pc.

Any ideas?

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Ok, sorry for not reading all of this thread. I read it the first time around and gave up when the "I know more about this than you" posts started flying.

Just out of thought. If you both have PCI network cards, try swapping them. Her card in your machine and vice verser. If there's no change then at least that's one more thing that you can rule out.

Will

/bin/su
I'd go for the easier option of not forwarding port 80. Just to see if that works.

I realise your webserver won't work, but just do it as a test.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
If you're using port forwading, does that mean you have a static IP address? Does Damini also have a static IP address or is it picked up from the router?

Just trying to figure out what's different.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Why not change the port the webserver runs on your PC , to say 81, and forward that instead. It would mean adding :81 to the end of the url when trying to reach your PC, but will eliminate yet another factor...

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I could change the port but to be honest it'd be a pain in the arse in the long run. I'm not entirely convinced that would change much either since I've had the web server running for ages and the ebay thing's relatively recent.

Re: changing network cards. I've got an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe which has integrated network cards so a swap was not possible till last night when I borrowed a spare PCI NIC from a colleague. I might give that a go even though the card was intended for my bro-in-law's pc. heh.

Funnily enough Damini did have some trouble with her network card a while back. Perhaps this is the problem, can't think why though.

Her IP's static. It wasn't till last night cos of said problem with her network card meant it kept installig and uninstalling itself and it doesn't NEED a static IP to function as DHCP is enabled on the router so I never bothered putting it back in. But a static IP hasn't fixed the problem. :/

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I kick started my bro-in-law's pc and plonked XP on there (it was running millenium. eugh!).

Still got the same problem so it's not PC or network card spcific as I had thought.

So I thought "sod it" and have stripped all port forwarding back to the bare minimum which leaves me with Remote Desktop, web server, ftp server and another random port I use for webcam streaming and it SEEMS to have fixed it. This of course may not be true since after I remove the port forwards, I have to reset the router and Ebay usually worked after a reset anyway.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Damini

Part of the furniture
We need a little crying smilie.

It's broken again. I surrender. Resistance is futile.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm guessing people have run out of ideas :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Perhaps the router is faulty? Get a fan and blast lots of cool air over it (open the case first), see it it continues working from cold, instead of working and then not working (if you know what I mean).

Chilly

Balls of steel
have you asked pipex(or whoever it was) if theres a fault with their DNS? long shot but u nnever know

Will

/bin/su
I still am sticking with my theory, since I've actually had the same problem.

Kenny doesn't believe me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom