Baby its cold outside...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's the middle of october FFS it shouldn't be this hot!

DC is a humid hellhole built on a swamp. Serves you right, there's a reason the Irish are happier in Boston.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wear layers.

We have the heating at home set to come on twice a day, once before everyone wakes up so you don't get out of bed and freeze and again before anyone gets back home for the same reason.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bunch of southern poofs. If you're not chipping ice off the khazi, the heating's set too high.

*Gets ready to go out to the pub in a short-sleeved shirt in December*

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
All this talk of heating means you must clearly be freezing Northerners. I'm a massive cold softie and not even had to think about warming the place up yet. At this rate won't need to do anything until November.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Half of the battle is keeping your feet warm. If they feel warm often the rest of you will follow.
Have a pair of reindeer boots i bought from the sami, native people in northern scandinavia.. Have found no "modern" boots that even come close to comfort, warmth, and keeping your feet dry.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
According to the BBC website today we're due a cold snap in a few weeks where the temp could drop as low as -20 brrrrrrrr

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
According to the BBC website today we're due a cold snap in a few weeks where the temp could drop as low as -20 brrrrrrrr

yeah and according to Michael Fish (BBC weather) "don't worry there isn't a hurricane coming"...

-20...this time of year down South? believe it when I see it

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, it's predicted to be up to 23 degrees down here again this week, cold weather isn't coming here for a while.

russell

FH is my second home
Ha Ha! Now I know why I couldn't shake the cold in this unseasonably warm weather. The lurgy has entered my bod -raging temp all day, headache, nausea etc.
The germ incubator at work has alot to answer for.
In bed now -will have to send husband to get the eldest from Brownies. Christ I am in bed before my 9 year old. It sucks to be me.

I still remain interested in the thermostat question tho -constant or stop start stop start?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
IMHO you should use constant as it's easier for the heating system to pump out small doses of extra heat than it is to heat up an entirely cold house but only if you set the temp slightly lower than you would and as long as the house is occupied.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

Link or it's BS - the monthly outlook for the weather is "high pressure building, warmer then back to seasonal averages by the start of November".

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
If you keep the house at a constant temp, so the walls and floors reach an ambient temperature, it should be more cost effective to keep the heating on all the time, just ticking over

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It does depend on boilers. New boilers are much more efficient and can be left on. Older boilers will rape your bank account if you do that and are best on timers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh yeah,on a cold free day with lots of noms, you has to watch groundhog day!

It's a law or something.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Boring reply, if it's a condenser..leave it on, because condensing boilers only get more efficient after they have reached correct temp.
Non condensors..don't make much difference, they waste heat all the time.

There are some new flu heat recovery boilers coming out that are pushing 95% efficiency.

Of course they'll break down every five years and cost you 400 quid to fix, so the savings are pointless.

Everz

FH is my second home
Today, October 9th it was 27 degrees celcius here in Washington DC :(

I'm just not built for this climate at all

Still as humid as shit?

Made a fool mistake of wearing a grey shirt out, within 30 minutes it was black. Couldn't ever live in that place with the insane humidity.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
one of the girls in the office today was sneezing non stop - she reckons its the change in the season...but apart from getting a bit breezy and darker earlier, there's not really been any temperature drop so far

russell

FH is my second home
I know -hate that its darker early.
As i get older, I find my night vision is pathetic and I have to drive my 10 year old to see Katy Perry at the O2 Friday night. Better go M25!

Edmond

Fworr......Katy Perry, can i come....oh, wait

russell

FH is my second home
Just dont keep disappearing off to the bathroom!

Edmond

Nah, the best version is Zooey Deschanel & Will Ferrell in Elf, great film

Helme

Resident Freddy
I fucking hope it gets colder, else I blew fuckloads(for me) on a jacket for no reason :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom