Politics Argentina going crazy?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Funneh tbfh.

Long may the political posturing continue to give us something to giggle about :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Funneh tbfh.

Long may the political posturing continue to give us something to giggle about :)

Agreed, I just hope and pray they don't get stupid and one day try something. Yes I know the chances are very very small but still, any lives lost is never a good thing, especially when it is all about votes and fuck all to do with land rights.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Was out in Colchester earlier and the Paras were talking about maybe being deployed out there next. Now that really would be a clear come and have a go message to the Argies.

soze

I am a FH squatter
That bitch is getting so boring, I hope everyone in the room just faked a yawn. I wonder if she will ask Bono a hold a concert for reclaiming the Oil there.

rynnor

Rockhound
"President Fernandez said that the Malvinas - as Argentina refers to the islands - formed part of the South American continental plate."

Thats not actually true - the falkland islands actually started out as part of the African continent in the vicinity of Mozambique and has drifted south - it constitutes its own micro plate.

Which is a real bugger for Argentina because it would legitimise their claim somewhat if the islands were part of the South American plate but despite their current locations they are seperate.

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/falklands-oil/plate_tectonics.html

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
"President Fernandez said that the Malvinas - as Argentina refers to the islands - formed part of the South American continental plate."

Thats not actually true - the falkland islands actually started out as part of the African continent in the vicinity of Mozambique and has drifted south - it constitutes its own micro plate.

Which is a real bugger for Argentina because it would legitimise their claim somewhat if the islands were part of the South American plate but despite their current locations they are seperate.

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/falklands-oil/plate_tectonics.html

Its irrelevant anyway. Unless she's spoiling for a fight with the French as well. Claims about which continental plate a territory sits on are absolute nonsense.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Mental.

That's the sort of shit that Salmond would conjure up: "Scotland used to be connected to what is now America, so it's entitled to free big Macs".

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
So by that logic, any Scot who wants independence we can ship off to American? It's the 1630's all over again!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Better than that, put them all on St Kilda so they can return to eating Gannet's eggs and living in huts. There they can roam about on horses shouting 'freedom' as if actually in the movie Braveheart with the living conditions and quality of life to match!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Kirchner today complained about the falklands flag being flown at downing street claiming it is perverse to celebrate a war... "people dont celebrate the german surrender or the japanese pacific surrender in the world war!!" she claims... obviously she has never heard of VE day (or just V day as they call it in Russia!)

rynnor

Rockhound
Its getting kinda boring now - I hope the Argentine elections come soon so that this nonsense goes away.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Kirchner today complained about the falklands flag being flown at downing street claiming it is perverse to celebrate a war... "people dont celebrate the german surrender or the japanese pacific surrender in the world war!!" she claims... obviously she has never heard of VE day (or just V day as they call it in Russia!)

Not to mention, any country that celebrates independence... :giggle:

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Right back atcha, Cueta perhaps?

Ceuta. Indeed.

And dont you forget her twin city Melilla (tho, they were founded from the sand 600 years ago when Morocco didnt even exist).

The "but but you..." argument was predictable. As I said, colonies are 200 years ago and sooner or later you will have to accept to let go. Our ancestors did, the french and the dutch did, and I guess you will eventually.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Ceuta. Indeed.

And dont you forget her twin city Melilla (tho, they were founded from the sand 600 years ago when Morocco didnt even exist).

The "but but you..." argument was predictable. As I said, colonies are 200 years ago and sooner or later you will have to accept to let go. Our ancestors did, the french and the dutch did, and I guess you will eventually.

The falklands is a little different - we didnt colonise the natives, we are the natives.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Ceuta. Indeed.

But not to the Argentinians. If the Falkland Islanders themselves wanted to become an independant state, I'm sure we'd go for that. It has never been Argentinian, we didn't take it from the Argentinians by force, we just happened to supply the people who wanted to live on this uninhabited lump of rock in the South Atlantic, and make a go of life there. They chose to remain British and still do.

We're more than happy to give up former colonies. We have a long and proud tradition of giving it back to the natives. The Argentinians are simply not the natives of the Falkland Islands.

DaGaffer

Ceuta. Indeed.

Don't think you're getting Gibraltar back, because you're not. Its as English as fish & chips and warm beer.

I actually think there needs to be a line drawn under the whole "decolonisation" thing anyway. The idea that geographical proximity is the overriding criteria for who owns what actually makes no sense if you think about it. Should the Canary Islands be owned by Senegal or The Gambia? Should Corsica be owned by Italy or The Channel Islands by France? Of course not, so why does Argentina think it has a valid claim just because The Falklands are nearby? Frankly, Spain has more of a claim to the Falklands than Argentina has.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The Falklands are 250miles off the coast, does that make the British Isles the property of france or germany? ( I mean, they've both tried it on but they're a bit rubbish at that whole winning part ).

Chilly

Balls of steel
The Falklands are 250miles off the coast, does that make the British Isles the property of france or germany? ( I mean, they've both tried it on but they're a bit rubbish at that whole winning part ).

Well up for another war. Will be an excellent excuse to send off half a million unemployed kids to die on the continent. Unfortunately I'd probably have to go too :(

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Don't think you're getting Gibraltar back, because you're not. Its as English as fish & chips and warm beer.

I actually think there needs to be a line drawn under the whole "decolonisation" thing anyway. The idea that geographical proximity is the overriding criteria for who owns what actually makes no sense if you think about it. Should the Canary Islands be owned by Senegal or The Gambia? Should Corsica be owned by Italy or The Channel Islands by France? Of course not, so why does Argentina think it has a valid claim just because The Falklands are nearby? Frankly, Spain has more of a claim to the Falklands than Argentina has.

Im not trying to argue who owns these or that land (tho I dont even think its necesary to explain who SHOULD own Gibraltar by geographical account mind you ;) ).

Im tryin to say that its just natural to let the colonies go, its been happening since 200 years ago. Some go back to their previous owner (HongKong), others become independant states (southamerica or africa) and others end up in the hands of a 3rd party (Puerto Rico).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Colonies are so 200 years ago.

Its just a matter of time you will lose yours :)

The Falkland islanders are the natives. Funnily enough, I don't see the Spanish/Portuguese that live in Argentina hurrying to give the land back the native South Americans...funny that.

Even if we gave the Falklands independence (which the natives don't want) Argentina would still bitch and moan that they have some sort of right of ownership to them.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
HongKong wasn't a colony - we had a lease on it and when it expired it reverted to chinese ownership as per contract.

DaGaffer

Im not trying to argue who owns these or that land (tho I dont even think its necesary to explain who SHOULD own Gibraltar by geographical account mind you ;) ).

Im tryin to say that its just natural to let the colonies go, its been happening since 200 years ago. Some go back to their previous owner (HongKong), others become independant states (southamerica or africa) and others end up in the hands of a 3rd party (Puerto Rico).

Yes its natural to let colonies go, but there are lots of ways to disengage from colonisation, and I can't think of many (any) instances of a colonial power giving up its own citizens to a second power who never had title in the first place. (That's what I meant about Spain having more claim than Argentina, even France has more claim than Argentina). The analogy would be the French handing the keys to French Guiana to Brazil or Suriname rather than giving the place independence; why would they do that? In the case of the Falklands, Argentina are the ones acting like a colonial power. They seem to have no interest in the rights of self-determination of the people who actually live there.

If the Falklands decided they wanted to be independent, the UK would give them independence tomorrow. Frankly it would save UK Gov a major headache if the place became another Commonwealth country like The Bahamas (with added sheep), but just like say, Bermuda, the locals have decided they'd rather not thanks, and prefer to keep their British passports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom