Politics Argentina going crazy?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Shouldn't have got rid of stuff before the new stuff is ready.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Princess of Wales Royal Regiment is the current infantry force out there. Recently done 2 tours in Iraq and another 2 in Afghan, so kind of battle ready. I don't know who's next out there, but I wouldn't be suprised if it's not a rotation of Paras or Royal Marines, failing that, after 4 Afghan tours the Royal Anglians might get a change of scenery. Again, there's a ton of fighting experience there, I have a mate who has just gone out on his fourth tour. By the end of this one he'll have spent more time looking down the sights of his .50cal than most soldiers who fought through WW2 did.

Say what you like about our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it has created a generation of very switched on, very savvy troops. You often hear 'best troops in the world' and for much of my life, with the exception of the more Elite units, that was probably, frankly, bollocks, when applied to the British Army. It's not now.

the Argentinians have mostly spent the last 30 years drinking Mate and cannibalising their aircraft for spares. They aren't a threat, beyond a suicide attack. I can't see any other South American country offering them anything other than a few words in support either.

If they tried anything, the fight would be short, and very one sided.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are we still clinging to the idea that they're going to "try" something?

Come off it. It's political posturing, nothing more.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think everyone knows that but it is not much of a discussion when its just one reply going "Silly bint, they will never try anything" :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
War isn't that bad. It will soon be the only thing left to keep the population down if we keep curing all that Nature tries. ;)

Alternatively we shoot all scientists... :)

And lawyers....

Wij

I am a FH squatter
War isn't that bad. It will soon be the only thing left to keep the population down if we keep curing all that Nature tries. ;)

Alternatively we shoot all scientists... :)

And lawyers....
And population whingers. They're pretty much volunteering to 'help the planet' in my book.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
there was an article on the Guardian comment is free about how they are "right" to do it,

the argument basically goes that Argentina has pissed of international credit agencies and international investors but seems to be doing quite well economically (the reality of that might not be as rosy as the writer potrays i think)

compared to Spain who are doing everything they can to appease the credit rating agencies and international investors but seem to be imploding

i cant find the article anymore and while i "agree" that maybe for the short term this might seem like a good idea (win votes, less protests blardiblar) i think it is somewhat foolish to assume they can keep on doing this...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
there was an article on the Guardian comment is free about how they are "right" to do it,

the argument basically goes that Argentina has pissed of international credit agencies and international investors but seems to be doing quite well economically (the reality of that might not be as rosy as the writer potrays i think)

compared to Spain who are doing everything they can to appease the credit rating agencies and international investors but seem to be imploding

i cant find the article anymore and while i "agree" that maybe for the short term this might seem like a good idea (win votes, less protests blardiblar) i think it is somewhat foolish to assume they can keep on doing this...

I think the truth of the Argentinean decsion was hidden in the body of that article, the problem was that Repsol were under-delivering domestic oil production which meant Argentina had to buy internationally which hurts them because they still don't have much foreign currency to play with, so its probably more expedient to bin Repsol, take over the plant and work it harder*, and take the flak from international lenders who don't lend to Argentina anyway, and save their foreign currency for other things.

*And this is the risk to their decision, why was Repsol under-performing? If it turns out to be a structural problem (e.g. its just a lot harder to get out of the ground than originally planned) then Argentina will have gained nothing and pissed off the international community. If its because Repsol are just a bit crap, then Argentina might "win", at least in the short-term.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Brazil's doing great with Petrobras. It doesn't work free-market stylee - much of the profit is ploughed back into the country and it's benefitting from it.

Of course, international investors are a tad peeved at this - it's hurting the bottom line of the very rich (or rather, they're not making the profits they think they should be making) - but it means Brazil can afford to splash a bit more at home...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, the slums are really improving.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye, did you read what it said at the end?

"To compete on English soil we train on Argentine soil."

for those that missed it

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
as pathetic as that is, and i will admit it annoyed me,
my second reaction was pretty much "really ? REALLY ? thats the sort of thing i would expect from someone in school, not a national leader" (as it was the president woman who bought it to show it, after it was rejected by others apparently)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They are children pretending to be a real government, you can't expect much.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Can see why our government are ignoring this it is a joke. I really do wonder what they hope to achieve. Do they think if they keep it up we will just hand them over to get some peace and quiet?

Their time would be better spent trying to make the people of the Falklands believe that belonging to Argentina will be better seeing as we have said we will talk about handing the island over only when they people that live there want it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Which they never will, and if they ever did Britain would just find another excuse to keep them. Oil, for instance.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Which they never will, and if they ever did Britain would just find another excuse to keep them. Oil, for instance.

Rightly so, cheeky fuckers did not even exist as a country when we first settled those islands.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Call them out imo. Come and get them if you can, or stfu about it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
lol

It ends with: "To compete on English soil we train on Argentine soil."

yes... totally non political... :p

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
Eurofighters are stationed in the Falklands :)

Yes, but they were designed for air-to-air combat in the war that never came against the Soviet Union.

They are very capable plans, but not suited for a ground attack role.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
should bomb the fuckers back to the stone age

worked last time for recovering the economy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom