Politics Argentina going crazy?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
So they are threatening the UK with invasion of falklands, nationalising energy industries (only the non-Argentine part though) along with their previous record of nationalising "foreign" investments are they going a bit nuts or is this all political showing off in an election year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17739204

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Election year and time of the month for the president.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Desperate to stay in power through populist rhetoric, just like most politicians. One of the things that happened in Argentina when their currency collapsed was an influx of foreign companies and individuals who came in and bought up companies at knock down prices; nationalisation is a way (a pretty unethical way, but a way) of getting some of those assets back. She's helped that South America is starting to flex its economic and political muscles for the first time, and she knows that telling Spain to do one is no big deal when there's a willing alternate market in the form of China, and Brazil for that matter. This is just another sign that the world's focus is moving decisively away from the Atlantic and towards the Pacific.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Doesn't he know we nearly have aircraft carriers with some kind of planes, or maybe not on them.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Wonder what multinational in its right mind would invest there now

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Shouty trout-faced bint making a tit of herself.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
This is exactly the same kind of thing that happened in the build up to 1982 though, the difference this time is that South America is economically much stronger than it was and they all back Argentina's claim. They know that capturing the Islands this time would be a very different story and they could rely on much more logisitical support. Many generals and experts agree that the next 10 years will be 'On a wing and a prayer' time for us to hang on to that place.

Personally I would garrison it heavily and start sending TA units there for extended training, the AA coverage and firepower should definately be upped as well.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Currently they would need to destroy one of the best war ships in the world and god know what else under the water, I really do not think they stand a chance the Type 45 can destroy their whole air force before it takes off. Its there just to stop this kind of thinking. Short of a full on Naval Task force they are getting no where near the island.

She is just talking shit trying to stir the country up.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Currently they would need to destroy one of the best war ships in the world and god know what else under the water, I really do not think they stand a chance the Type 45 can destroy their whole air force before it takes off. Its there just to stop this kind of thinking. Short of a full on Naval Task force they are getting no where near the island.

She is just talking shit trying to stir the country up.

That Type 45 isn't there all year round, we can't reinforce the islands quickly and so we are overly reliant on that ship, 4 Tornados and our garrison. Hope the rumours of a nuclear sub stationed in the area are true, that should be the deciding factor unless the Argies really are fucking stupid.

Yes, she is talking shit to stir the country up but it is the same shit that led to 1982, infact in some areas they are pushing it further such not allowing our ships to refuel if they have visited the Islands but also lobbying other South American nations to do the same. Now we have this, fucking REPSOL out of £10 billion in assets and £100's of billions in potential long term earnings. It was a irrational move, there will be an backlash and yet they still did it.

We shouldn't panic but being more alert is no bad thing.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think the Type 45 being there around the time of the anniversary is no mistake. That is why she is so up in arms. And I have no doubts a hunter killer is out there. I think our government are taking it seriously hence the 45 being out there. But with our Planes out there and the Air Defence systems they are not currently a threat but the show of force is a good thing.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Lol military spending about to get justified, not one innocent will die though because Sky News said so yay !

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I think the Type 45 being there around the time of the anniversary is no mistake. That is why she is so up in arms. And I have no doubts a hunter killer is out there. I think our government are taking it seriously hence the 45 being out there. But with our Planes out there and the Air Defence systems they are not currently a threat but the show of force is a good thing.

Read somewhere that the air defences were not as strong as they could/should be and that the airbase could be overrun if Argentina threw as many bodies into action as last time. Would like to see them boost the Garrison, even if it is just with extended TA training runs. A garrison of 1400 sounds alot but actually fighting numbers are considerably lower. If they cratered our only runway then we would have a massive job to reinforce the Islands in under a month.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This is exactly the same kind of thing that happened in the build up to 1982 though, the difference this time is that South America is economically much stronger than it was and they all back Argentina's claim. They know that capturing the Islands this time would be a very different story and they could rely on much more logisitical support. Many generals and experts agree that the next 10 years will be 'On a wing and a prayer' time for us to hang on to that place.

Personally I would garrison it heavily and start sending TA units there for extended training, the AA coverage and firepower should definately be upped as well.

The Argentinians have a weaker military than they did in the 1980s, and we now have a much stronger presence in the Falklands.

Basically, they'd be fucking stupid to try it again, and they know it. They wouldn't even get near those islands.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The Argentinians have a weaker military than they did in the 1980s, and we now have a much stronger presence in the Falklands.

Basically, they'd be fucking stupid to try it again, and they know it. They wouldn't even get near those islands.

They were stupid last time though right? How many aircraft carriers did we have then and they still went for it. This time we have a bigger garrison but they have international opinion and we not only lack a single carrier but our allies would not assist us by providing one.

It is unlikely yes but better safe than sorry?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They were stupid last time though right? How many aircraft carriers did we have then and they still went for it. This time we have a bigger garrison but they have international opinion and we not only lack a single carrier but our allies would not assist us by providing one.

It is unlikely yes but better safe than sorry?

They don't have "international opinion". International law is firmly on Britain's side, any chance the Argentinians had of claiming those islands as their own disappeared when they invaded.

Have you seen their air force capabilities? Those Typhoons would wipe it out. Any troop landings would be spotted immediately, even before they'd sailed. A few long range bombers refuelled in the air would put paid to any of that nonsense, if a submarine didn't get them first.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that the Argentinians will ever invade those islands in the next few decades. They don't have the money, they lack the military capability, and the law is against them.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Read somewhere that the air defences were not as strong as they could/should be and that the airbase could be overrun if Argentina threw as many bodies into action as last time. Would like to see them boost the Garrison, even if it is just with extended TA training runs. A garrison of 1400 sounds alot but actually fighting numbers are considerably lower. If they cratered our only runway then we would have a massive job to reinforce the Islands in under a month.
That's the thing though. They can not take out the 45 by air they are not advanced enough. I highly doubt they can throw enough ships at it destroy it in a sea battle. But they have 0 chance if we have a sub out there. So I do not see how they can get enough troops there to be a problem. Air dropping troops would never work while the 45 is about.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Why do we have people like General Sir Mike Jackson and other notables including serving officers warning about our lack of carrier and our total inability to retake those islands if lost? There is genuine concern at high levels, we lack air power across the board and it won't even come close to being solved for a decade.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
why did we care about the islands again? oil, no?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Maybe we should get Cameron to bang on about how Trident hasn't fired a missile at anything for a while. Why wait for Iran to get shot at by America to start WW3?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Why do we have people like General Sir Mike Jackson and other notables including serving officers warning about our lack of carrier and our total inability to retake those islands if lost? There is genuine concern at high levels, we lack air power across the board and it won't even come close to being solved for a decade.
I agree if we lose it we will be in trouble getting it back, I just don't see that they can take it easily.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They still have a 1970s army. They won't be invading anywhere, anytime soon.

pez

Can't get enough of FH

Your confusing our inability to retake the islands with our ability to defend the islands. No one is saying we could retake the islands. The argentine military is extremely unlikely to capture them in the first place through conventional means.

And as for an organisation demanding more money... When has any organisation ever said it has enough or too much?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That Type 45 isn't there all year round, we can't reinforce the islands quickly and so we are overly reliant on that ship, 4 Tornados and our garrison. Hope the rumours of a nuclear sub stationed in the area are true, that should be the deciding factor unless the Argies really are fucking stupid.

Yes, she is talking shit to stir the country up but it is the same shit that led to 1982, infact in some areas they are pushing it further such not allowing our ships to refuel if they have visited the Islands but also lobbying other South American nations to do the same. Now we have this, fucking REPSOL out of £10 billion in assets and £100's of billions in potential long term earnings. It was a irrational move, there will be an backlash and yet they still did it.

We shouldn't panic but being more alert is no bad thing.
Eurofighters are stationed in the Falklands :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why do we have people like General Sir Mike Jackson and other notables including serving officers warning about our lack of carrier and our total inability to retake those islands if lost?

Because of cuts to military spending and them putting the boot in in an attempt to get more cash.

The Argies aren't going to invade, they're politically posturing and sooner or later we'll do a deal which allows them access to some of the oil. Job done.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Your confusing our inability to retake the islands with our ability to defend the islands. No one is saying we could retake the islands. The argentine military is extremely unlikely to capture them in the first place through conventional means.

And as for an organisation demanding more money... When has any organisation ever said it has enough or too much?

^This. We've actually not had the ability to mount another Falklands-type invasion on our own since not long after the war itself. The RN in particular was completely reconfigured around NATO (e.g. US) fleet doctrine, and designed to work within a US air defence umbrella. The stupid thing is that the RN is still fighting the last war not the next one (actually the last but one war) when it comes to procurement. Type 45 destroyers are actually a waste of time for most of the threats the UK faces, they can't even engage surface targets (apart from with a single 4.5 inch gun), they're just an extremely expensive version of the Aegis anti-missile ships already long in service with the Americans, but, a dozen Type 45s give more career opportunities for aspirant captains (and hence future admirals to sit on defence select committees) than two carriers, which might just be useful for fighting wars and helping out the poor bloody army.

However, despite all this self-serving incompetence (which is nothing new, its been the story of the British military since Blenheim), Argentina could no more take the Falklands on its own than I could, and neither could any other South American country (including Venezuela), or combination thereof. In fact, Argentina is far less capable of doing the job now than it was in 1982.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
the difference this time is that South America is economically much stronger than it was and they all back Argentina's claim.

Incorrect. The Argentinian president arranged a conference in his country a few months back where he invited all the other South American leaders to attend and officially back his new claims to the Falklands. No one turned up.

Apart from some political lip-service in reality none of them want to get involved in a conflict that would drag in the rest of Europe and the US against them.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Incorrect. The Argentinian president arranged a conference in his country a few months back where he invited all the other South American leaders to attend and officially back his new claims to the Falklands. No one turned up.

Apart from some political lip-service in reality none of them want to get involved in a conflict that would drag in the rest of Europe and the US against them.

I thought he got them to ban ships sailing under the Falklands flag.

Spain is very upset about them taking YPF. Expect EU retaliation on Argentine goods to come very quickly. Better get your quota of Mcburgers in quick :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom