Politics Argentina going crazy?

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
The Falkland islanders are the natives. Funnily enough, I don't see the Spanish/Portuguese that live in Argentina hurrying to give the land back the native South Americans...funny that.

Even if we gave the Falklands independence (which the natives don't want) Argentina would still bitch and moan that they have some sort of right of ownership to them.

Uh? Funny what? Theres no spaniards/portuguese (the correct nationality for Argentina should be italians not portuguese, thats Brazil) over there except the tourists. They all became argentinians at some point in 1810s iirc.

I fail to see your point, unless you mean the argentinians giving the land back to the indigens (althou in the case of Argentina it would be tricky cuz the majority of the land was unpopulated when it was discovered).

If you give Falklands independence, the problem would stop being yours but the falklanders. The only thing you could do is act as supervisor along with the UN to prevent argentinians to thread an hypothetic Flaklands sovereignity (sp?).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Uh? Funny what? Theres no spaniards/portuguese (the correct nationality for Argentina should be italians not portuguese, thats Brazil) over there except the tourists. They all became argentinians at some point in 1810s iirc.

No, the correct nationality would be Spanish. There were a lot of Italian immigrants to Argentina in the late 19th/early 20th century (which is why Argentinian Spanish is flavoured with Italian words and Diego Maradona looks like a Neapolitan docker), but the original colonists were Spanish.

I fail to see your point, unless you mean the argentinians giving the land back to the indigens (althou in the case of Argentina it would be tricky cuz the majority of the land was unpopulated when it was discovered).

I used to think that, turns out its about as true as American claims that the wild west was empty. There were plenty of indiginous tribes south of the River Plate and they were thoroughly wiped out, assimilated, which is the real reason why Argentina is the "whitest" country in South America.

If you give Falklands independence, the problem would stop being yours but the falklanders. The only thing you could do is act as supervisor along with the UN to prevent argentinians to thread an hypothetic Flaklands sovereignity (sp?).

As I said, the Falkland Islanders have been asked, and they've politely said "no thank you".

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
No, the correct nationality would be Spanish. There were a lot of Italian immigrants to Argentina in the late 19th/early 20th century (which is why Argentinian Spanish is flavoured with Italian words and Diego Maradona looks like a Neapolitan docker), but the original colonists were Spanish.

The correct nationality should be plain "argentinians". I was answering to the "then the spanish/portuguese should give the lands back", hence my reply. Theres no spaniards/italians/portuguese there cept the tourists so it would be difficult for us to "give tha lands backk". There are argentinians since 1810, and it should be them who would have to give the lands back to the indigens.

I used to think that, turns out its about as true as American claims that the wild west was empty. There were plenty of indiginous tribes south of the River Plate and they were thoroughly wiped out, assimilated, which is the real reason why Argentina is the "whitest" country in South America.

The reason lays in the fact that it was the less populated land of south america, with vasts empty territories (specially south Argentina) colonized by italians/spaniards/germans landlords, hence the more white population of the country compared with other southamerica countries where there were a large population of natives favouring more interbreeding.
Thus my statement "it would be tricky to the current argentinians to give back lands that werent occupied when they first were discovered".

As I said, the Falkland Islanders have been asked, and they've politely said "no thank you".

Then, subject close.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
dont forget the welsh. Gabriel Heinze is fluent in Welsh apparently.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Maybe Argentina will give Patagonia back to Chile as well? Then they can give it back to the Patagonian's, if any survived.

It's pot calling the kettle black, Argentina is a former Spanish colony that conquered those lands and wiped out the natives. The Falklands however was uninhabited, changed hands a few times but basically wasn't colonised until the British secured it. No one died in the process and Argentina didn't exist as a nation at the time.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
...and I doubt they would give a shit if it didn't have oil.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The Argies have plenty of oil, have you seen how greasy thier hair is!?!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Im not trying to argue who owns these or that land (tho I dont even think its necesary to explain who SHOULD own Gibraltar by geographical account mind you ;) ).

Im tryin to say that its just natural to let the colonies go, its been happening since 200 years ago. Some go back to their previous owner (HongKong), others become independant states (southamerica or africa) and others end up in the hands of a 3rd party (Puerto Rico).

Hong Kong was leased. Its lease expired. China took it back.

Do please try to do a little research before you say silly things.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

as was Macau, 99 years on both iirc

but like the oil around falklands, if we hadnt turned HK from a shithole by the sea into a serious financial etc sector they prob wouldnt have been half as bothered :\

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture

Thx for the valious piece of information, it really supposes a drastical change in my argument.

Here is another info you might wanna look into Straw Manhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Please do bring something usefull before entering a debate. Thx.

Poag

m00?
Thx for the valious piece of information, it really supposes a drastical change in my argument.

Here is another info you might wanna look into Straw Man

Please do bring something usefull before entering a debate. Thx.
He quoted your inaccuracy.

Please bring something useful before attempting to debunk your own error.

rynnor

Rockhound

If we didn't support it it would be tantamount to saying we dont have sovereignty - Argentina have less influence in the Falklands every day the way they have acted - very very stupid.

They could have extended the hand of friendship to the Islanders and wooed them over time perhaps but hitting them with sanctions and sabre rattling has practically driven them to affirm their ties to the UK for protection.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So, the Falkland Islanders have a referendum, all but three of them (yes, three) say they want to remain British, but the Argentinians say it doesn't count because they are a "transplanted population". Pot, meet Kettle.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So, the Falkland Islanders have a referendum, all but three of them (yes, three) say they want to remain British, but the Argentinians say it doesn't count because they are a "transplanted population". Pot, meet Kettle.
They may well be a 'transplanted' population, but I think anyone in the world would see that all the 'fake' Falklanders outweight 3 true Maldivians (Who probably even aren't that, just voted no to be indie)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom