Are you happy with the new classic merge?

are you happy?

• Total voters

NAHKRI

Fledgling Freddie
Btw in the same sentence u quoted from me i did say EA true not in capital letters but still its there so no news flash for me.
As for ppl running away they did that frome day 1:blaming the french,blaming the zerg,then blaming the low population(coused by them leaving),then blaming goa for not doing anything to sve glast and now after something was done blaming again goa couse its in german.
Funny how ppl always find an escape goat for anythig and refuse to see the real problem.
Hey i dont know much german either ,i dont love it beeing in german,i still hope they gona make a way to select the language of the interface but instead of whining on forums i sit my ass down and play the game and at the end of the day i end up having fun plus learning a couple of german words so imo before blaming someone and run off the server at least give it a try,u,ll see its not that hard and its a small price to pay to enjoy daoc,that if u still enjoy the game ofc.
Plus tbh the german comunity r far much better then english or french 1,i find more grps in rvr with my thane then before cluster, a couple of germans in as helping us translate things we cant understand ,pve its easy to find grps ,from what i seen germans also use classic areas and dungeons to pve not just tds,u can find any kind of lgm crafter ,bgs r full etc. so both pve and rvr got a boost after cluster.Well tbh u would have to be crazy to leave the server now just becouse is in german:)

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
NAHKRI said:
Btw in the same sentence u quoted from me i did say EA true not in capital letters but still its there so no news flash for me.
As for ppl running away they did that frome day 1:blaming the french,blaming the zerg,then blaming the low population(coused by them leaving),then blaming goa for not doing anything to sve glast and now after something was done blaming again goa couse its in german.
Funny how ppl always find an escape goat for anythig and refuse to see the real problem.
Hey i dont know much german either ,i dont love it beeing in german,i still hope they gona make a way to select the language of the interface but instead of whining on forums i sit my ass down and play the game and at the end of the day i end up having fun plus learning a couple of german words so imo before blaming someone and run off the server at least give it a try,u,ll see its not that hard and its a small price to pay to enjoy daoc,that if u still enjoy the game ofc.
Plus tbh the german comunity r far much better then english or french 1,i find more grps in rvr with my thane then before cluster, a couple of germans in as helping us translate things we cant understand ,pve its easy to find grps ,from what i seen germans also use classic areas and dungeons to pve not just tds,u can find any kind of lgm crafter ,bgs r full etc. so both pve and rvr got a boost after cluster.Well tbh u would have to be crazy to leave the server now just becouse is in german:)

I wasn't 1 of them that Ran away infact I been active most way through think 7 lvl 50's would answer that infact.

My point is now that server is now german orientated I finding it hard with text that is on my screen especially for items etc there seemed to be no lee way with goa on this in trying to appease the english users it was case Char transfer like it or lump it practically then frigging around with update etc.

Seems Goa in good intentions that they did really forced me away from it :(

Goodluck in playing on there seeing as Excal/Pryd is now like a Ghost server as well looks to me I will have to up and jump ship with rest of them which I was hoping not to do :( .

25+ lvl 50's going to waste now looks like I got lot more levelling to do again.

Soulja

NAHKRI

Fledgling Freddie
Well i know its tough,i tought i never be able to adapt to it ,even now i cant say i,m happy with it beeing in german i also have problems understanding a lot of stuff and still hope goa would do a little extra work after the hollidays and give us the means to choose interface language,but after beeing alone for so long on glast now seeing all this ppl around,in rvr,bgs,dungeons makes me happy and remind me of the days the server was full and make me forget about the fact that its in german.
Ofc thats the way i feel ,and each person has different feelings about it anyways i,m sad to see english talking ppl leave we need more of them on server.
Btw i want to use this post to tell english speaking ppl on midgard to join 1 of the guilds in aurora borealis alliance only english speaking alliance still active in midgard,in hope that having someone who speaks same language closer to u will,help the ones who find this transition difficult,we welcome u and well help as much as we can.

ErivShadow

Loyal Freddie
You can try to get "professional" german help at the biggest german community board. There is a small group of unprejudiced schnitzel-essers (joking, I prefer Bratwurst mit Knödeln myself" who tries to translate words or phrases for you.

Give it a try.

And merry christmas from good old Germany to you all, I really enjoy reading the english community in this board.

Remember : Santa has eight lurikeens, who magically pull his sleigh through the sky.

http://daoc-guide.4players.de/forums/showthread.php?t=60442

Nate

FH is my second home
huh ;o theres a German Illu! get him Illu he's taking your name! and looks like a caster :O

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
For the peeps who whine and complaining, you are not forced to play here, if you dont like the new cluster go to US cluster and use youre time to lvl a char up instead of whining here. Without the cluster Glastonbury was almost dead and GOA saved it by clustering it. And this it was the only option.

Iam Dutch so i can understand German a little better then Englisch players, but i still dont understand many thinks and no way i can talk or chat in German. No big deal so far, the Germans i spoke are willing to speak Englisch to me and they are very nice and helpfull people.

The server is healthy and i made some good fights in RvR so far, alot lesser zergy then US classic is atm. Lots of enemy players let me finish duels instead of zerging me and i realy like that.

The only really hard part for me is when i need a new template, lots of translation have to be done to figure out the right items i need because i dont recognize many items but for the rest i can deal with the German language.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel posted:

<<I appreciate your point however the choice we were facing was to either close Glastonbury in which case everything you did would then be wiped out or cluster it. Clustering with a ToA server wasn't an option, as we had a lot of feedback indicating that players would be strongly against being moved to a regular server. Clustering with a US server was impossible. The only realistic option to allow Glastonbury players to keep on playing their characters was a cluster with Salisbury. We knew it wouldn't be universally popular but we felt it was fairer than simply shutting down the server.>>

Maybe.

But Cumbria is still open.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
NAHKRI said:
I cant believe the nerve on some ppl,when glast started everything was fine large numbers etc,ofc was expected some were just testing it an they gona leave but still a couple of hundreds were expected to stay which actually did happen.
Not long after ppl started whining about zerg,about french,about unbalanced realms etc,ofc very few ever did something to counteract zerg,most of them just whined and blamed somebody(except them ofc).
After that they started leaving for us classic or even salis,like those servers were perfect and free of zerg(no zerg or adds my ass).
Ofc when pop on glaston dropped couse of ppl leaving same ppl start whining couse pop is too low couse goa sucks couse they dont do anything about it,and they were coming up with a lot of ideas of which 1 was cluster with salis.
And now the same ppl who didt do shit about glaston altough it was in their power to save it ,all they had to do was to stay and play,all who blamed goa for doing nothing and asked for cluster with glast,all who left for salis or us classic now come back and whine that it sucks couse its in german,without even giving it a try or at least try to adapt.
Well no offence but i rather play with germans and french, then with a bunch of undecided ppl who never know what they want and their never satisfied.

Taken a leaf from James Joyce? Word of advice, more punctuation, less stream of conciousness stuff - i cant be arsed to read it.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
There are no plans to cluster Excal and Prydwen again for the moment. This is the number one question I've been answering this week. We will of course keep a close eye on the population but it's been pretty steady for the last few months despite what certain threads on FH may make you believe.

It may be steady, but you know its a dead cluster, its part of the reason youve been active on this thread for a change. As we speak, im sure you looking for ways to make the cluster viable again. Come up with something viable and it might work.

Well you're job depends on it, good luck.

Youve hardly taken any involvement in the community, i remember a relatively recenty post about the fact that the majority of players were pve people, they played for the non rvr element more than the non rvr element - complete bullshit for cluster, but perhaps you truly believed that - how to completely get it wrong.

Work on merging with euro language, if you dont do it, P/E will be commercially dead in 6 months (shut of the electricty to those servers - their not used). You will, recent events have thrust the message home.

NAHKRI

Fledgling Freddie
Cromcruaich said:
Taken a leaf from James Joyce? Word of advice, more punctuation, less stream of conciousness stuff - i cant be arsed to read it.

Well i really dont care if u read it or not,who wants to read it reads ,who dont dont.But since u looked for punctuation marks ,makes me believe u did read it.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Clustering with a US server was impossible.
A rare visit from me here, just curious - aside from the legal and fiscal implications surrounding the running of the servers by Mythic and GoA - why is it "impossible"? Afaik although you run multi-lingual versions and some custom parts of the server platform, its nothing to prevent the Character/Item/Etc databases from being copied over to the US and kept unique with glastonbury tagging ala Excal/Pryd currently?

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
TheBinarySurfer said:
A rare visit from me here, just curious - aside from the legal and fiscal implications surrounding the running of the servers by Mythic and GoA - why is it "impossible"? Afaik although you run multi-lingual versions and some custom parts of the server platform, its nothing to prevent the Character/Item/Etc databases from being copied over to the US and kept unique with glastonbury tagging ala Excal/Pryd currently?

Here you go :

An unnamed GoA GM via RightNow I asked this of a while ago said:
It is not possible to cluster with the US servers for several reasons. The recent cluster with the Japanese server with the Devon cluster was possible because the entire Japanese billing database was integrated with the US databases (this is also exactly how it happened when we took over the Italian server from CTO). It is not possible to transfer individual accounts based on the server they play on and in any event, most people play on mulitiple servers, this would not be possible if their accounts were somehow transferred to the US database. They would in effect have to choose between losing all their other characters on other servers or losing all their characters on Glastonbury.

Personally I'd probably have opted to give up all my other characters if the choice was on offer like.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
Personally I'd probably have opted to give up all my other characters if the choice was on offer like.

Yeah, I've a lot invested in my characters on Alb/Pryd, and will probably carry on playing til the server language gets changed and I'll feel forced to go to US or another game. I have characters on about 3-4 other Servers/Realms, but orders of magnitude less played.

Darzil

Clive Aminal

Fledgling Freddie
Still a little unclear as to why a comprimise wasn't given to players who don't speak german and don't wish to cope with the language barrier, like a custom version of the /charcopy that was in use on the US servers, so that players could at least have the option of migrating there toons to the english speaking toa cluster (not ideal, but should have at least been looked into.

Also a little unclear on this...

Requiel said:
Hmm. Ok, a few more things to add to what I said earlier.

I initially expected that we would run a login poll to see what the mood of the players was - even if only to find out what the least worst option was. At the meeting where the options for Glastonbury were discussed I brought that up but was told it wasn't an option for several reasons. Firstly, the only choices we could give players was 'Do you want your server to close or do you want it in German?' We didn't really need to run a poll to see what the likely result of that would be. Also it's not possible to do a poll just for a specific server. Everyone would get it - cluster players and Camlann players included.

Where any other "choices" apart from closing or clustering even considered? Seems to me that no attempt was made to rescue glast, hell, they never even tried the basic minimum like introducing the /level command on the server, when the pop started to fall! For a server that is supposedly geared towards the more casual player, and has a failing pop..., ermmm, well not rocket science is it? No GHoA/Mythic special events where run, and nothing was done at all to spice up the PvE on the server, let alone the RvR by the company.

As for the poll or lack thereof...yes everyone would get the poll, they did when pry/excal was clustered, don't remember it being as issue tho. If you didn't play on those servers, was just a case of clicking the "Don't Care" option or whatever and moving on.

As I have said before, you can't please everyone all the time, but when people are paying you for a service, you should at least try to comprimise.

Saying clustering with the US wasn't possible baffles me, the beauty of software is that it can be rewritten, and the beauty of databases is that they can easily be merged if wrtten correctly, with just a few well chosen commands.

If that wasn't possible, then that is a failing on mythics part (i.e bad programming, bad planning for the future ect.), and they should at least acknowledge that imo.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Clive Aminal said:
Still a little unclear as to why a comprimise wasn't given to players who don't speak german and don't wish to cope with the language barrier, like a custom version of the /charcopy that was in use on the US servers, so that players could at least have the option of migrating there toons to the english speaking toa cluster (not ideal, but should have at least been looked into.

Also a little unclear on this...

Where any other "choices" apart from closing or clustering even considered? Seems to me that no attempt was made to rescue glast, hell, they never even tried the basic minimum like introducing the /level command on the server, when the pop started to fall! For a server that is supposedly geared towards the more casual player, and has a failing pop..., ermmm, well not rocket science is it? No GHoA/Mythic special events where run, and nothing was done at all to spice up the PvE on the server, let alone the RvR by the company.
We did look into other optios but realistically it came down to that choice. There were no solutions that offered a long-term future for the server. As I said previously underpopulated bonuses, free levels, bonus content and /level won't bring players to an empty server. Only adding more players will do that and clustering was the only viable way of achieving that. /Charcopy wasn't an option for the reasons I outlined earlier, any solution had to be for the community as a whole and not for individuals.

Clive Aminal said:
As for the poll or lack thereof...yes everyone would get the poll, they did when pry/excal was clustered, don't remember it being as issue tho. If you didn't play on those servers, was just a case of clicking the "Don't Care" option or whatever and moving on.
We can limit polls to particular languages (because they are linked to a patch server), thus when we ran the polls about clustering Prydwen and Excalibur, we only reached players who played on those servers and Camlann. As the percentage of dedicated Camlann players was tiny compared to the number of English speaking players who played on the two normal servers, any false votes wouldn't affect the total. With Glastonbury that wasn't the case. The number of dedicated Glastonbury players is tiny compared to the number of English speaking players on other servers and so the number of random votes would likely drown the real votes from people who actually had invested time on the server. In a perfect world, people would vote 'don't care' on matters where they have no preference, our experience however is that people will often just choose a random answer. When we are polling a question that affects 95% of tens of thousands of players, those votes don't make a big impact on the final score, when we are polling on a question that affects 5% of tens of thousands of players then the random votes turn it into a lottery.

Clive Aminal said:
As I have said before, you can't please everyone all the time, but when people are paying you for a service, you should at least try to comprimise.
And in this case our compromise was that you can choose to carry on playingyour characters and the ruleset you chose, but in German.

Clive Aminal said:
Saying clustering with the US wasn't possible baffles me, the beauty of software is that it can be rewritten, and the beauty of databases is that they can easily be merged if wrtten correctly, with just a few well chosen commands.

If that wasn't possible, then that is a failing on mythics part (i.e bad programming, bad planning for the future ect.), and they should at least acknowledge that imo.
Again I've explained why this wasn't possible in a this post earlier.

Clive Aminal

Fledgling Freddie
All good points, and thankyou for answering my questions.

I am still a little confused by the fact that, given the exceptional circumstances on the glastonbury server, an option wasn't put in place for non german speakers to have there characters transferred to a ToA server - excal/pry for example, so at least if people find the language barrier impossible to cope with, their characters wouldn't be completely wasted and they could continue playing, albeit on a ToA ruleset.

Seems to me that would be simple enough to do, a few database entries here and there and deleting the old records on glast.

Granted, not an ideal comprimise, and I daresay only a few would even consider it, but still an option should have been made available (i.e. an appeal through rightnow)

Yes it would probably mean a lot of fiddley coding from the server point of view ( writing a patch for the database ect), but surely that could have been taken care of and a server/database patch applied on the next excal/pry maintainance close down.

That way the player won't have to walk away from a high rr char, and mythic/goa keep that player subscribing.

Blankly changing the server to german, when most people who speak english as a first launguage don't speak much if any german, without a way to opt out, still seems like very bad planning, and to be honest, very very poor customer care given the time that people put into their toons.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I agree, think the poll speaks for itself. Other alternatives should have been offered, even if it meant a different ruleset on excal...

Walking away from a rr8 toon, and 100+ plat is just not cool...

I'm dyslexic and have enough trouble following english, trying to work out german is just impossible

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Clive Aminal said:
All good points, and thankyou for answering my questions.

I am still a little confused by the fact that, given the exceptional circumstances on the glastonbury server, an option wasn't put in place for non german speakers to have there characters transferred to a ToA server - excal/pry for example, so at least if people find the language barrier impossible to cope with, their characters wouldn't be completely wasted and they could continue playing, albeit on a ToA ruleset.

Seems to me that would be simple enough to do, a few database entries here and there and deleting the old records on glast.

Granted, not an ideal comprimise, and I daresay only a few would even consider it, but still an option should have been made available (i.e. an appeal through rightnow)

Yes it would probably mean a lot of fiddley coding from the server point of view ( writing a patch for the database ect), but surely that could have been taken care of and a server/database patch applied on the next excal/pry maintainance close down.

That way the player won't have to walk away from a high rr char, and mythic/goa keep that player subscribing.

Blankly changing the server to german, when most people who speak english as a first launguage don't speak much if any german, without a way to opt out, still seems like very bad planning, and to be honest, very very poor customer care given the time that people put into their toons.

Like he said, it was an all or nothing fix, no half measures, and no further fracturing of the community would be allowed to occur, that's why /charcopy was dismissed.

I might not agree with it entirely, I can understand it, and can certainly feel enough sympathy to save him writing it again :p

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, I would consider the fact that myself, and at least eight other peole I know, have already stopped automatic renewal of subscription, specifically because glast is now in german... Seems like whatever was left of the community is well and truely fractured to me.

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
English isnt my first language, actualy i learned it by playing computer games and programs, still cant understand lots of English words, but i was in a roleplaying guild for some years so not easy mode for me. I never learned any form of German language, ok iam Dutch and German is easier to understand because it looks abit like Dutch, but i cant speak or write it. Only option is to adept or leave. You can complaining forever but the cluster with Salisbury was the only option, iam a SB and cant climb walls because its bugged, i dont complain about that, better a healhty server im German then a dead server in English. I have fun again on classic cluster, some parts are hard but i adept.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
ford prefect said:
Hmm, I would consider the fact that myself, and at least eight other peole I know, have already stopped automatic renewal of subscription, specifically because glast is now in german... Seems like whatever was left of the community is well and truely fractured to me.

What realm were you in btw?

Same as Oldleaf (tho I struggle big time) I can read the German and grasp enough of it to make my way in the game no problems. Buying stuff may take me another few minutes but tbh, how often do you buy stuff nowadays when you're not levelling a char?

Oh and a guildy of mine went as far as to do non-literal translations of the crafting stuff (ie, he logged into English client and German one at same time and did like rather than Babbelfish it so its easier to work out from SC calcs etc) which has made our lives a hellova lot easier.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
RS|Phil said:
What realm were you in btw?

Same as Oldleaf (tho I struggle big time) I can read the German and grasp enough of it to make my way in the game no problems. Buying stuff may take me another few minutes but tbh, how often do you buy stuff nowadays when you're not levelling a char?

Oh and a guildy of mine went as far as to do non-literal translations of the crafting stuff (ie, he logged into English client and German one at same time and did like rather than Babbelfish it so its easier to work out from SC calcs etc) which has made our lives a hellova lot easier.

I was in Hib, mostly a daytime or very late night player due to shift work.

Unless translations are exact, I would have trouble following them due to dyslexia, as I sometimes get confused over certain words.

I like RvR, but there would be no gauruntee of english speaking BG's or grp's, and picking out names of keeps/towers, is very difficult for me when the rest of the text is in a launguage I am unfamiliar with (it requires concentration on an english server if I am tired or slightly distracted).

Shame the text database can't be written in both launguages, and the client modified, so that it can pick which ever one you want to use, but even if it could I would find it difficult, as I did when there were a lot of french players in hib some months ago. I played solo RvR instead of grouping for the very reason that I couldn't follow what was happening in groups and BG's as everyone refused to speak english, even though it was an english server at the time.

As I don't have the time to spend hgoing through ML levels, or indeed, leveling yet another level 50 toon and taking it to CL 5 (soon up to CL 10), as well as replacing all the crafting skill and money, because of a busy work life, I am pretty much forced to quit the game.

If mythic were to consider some form of XP credit ect on pry/excal for ex glast players I would consider giving it a go, but, well that isn't going to happen...

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Ah, that's unfortunate. I can imagine that being almost impossible then - I just pick out the odd word but considering your circumstances...

Hey, maybe they'll come up with multilanguage client :)

Himse

FH is my second home
Requiel said:
I appreciate your point however the choice we were facing was to either close Glastonbury in which case everything you did would then be wiped out or cluster it. Clustering with a ToA server wasn't an option, as we had a lot of feedback indicating that players would be strongly against being moved to a regular server. Clustering with a US server was impossible. The only realistic option to allow Glastonbury players to keep on playing their characters was a cluster with Salisbury. We knew it wouldn't be universally popular but we felt it was fairer than simply shutting down the server.

Your talking shit, the Japanese server was able to be clustered with Devon.

IainC

Himse said:
Your talking shit, the Japanese server was able to be clustered with Devon.
And that has nothing to do with anything.
Mythic took over the entire playerbase for Akutsagi - character databases and billing databases. This is also exactly what happened when we took over Deira from CTO.
As they were already essentially a Mythic server they could be clustered with other Mythic servers once the character database and the server had been translated into English.

It's a completely different situation from clustering a Goa server with a Mythic one.

Moaning Myrtle

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel, I really do want an answer to this; once the population in the Excal/Prydwen cluster becomes to low to be sustainable (as in to few people to carry out MLs etc.) what will happen to us then?

My biggest fear is that you may well cluster us with one of the German clusters but force us to use German.

I'd like you to assure the users of FH that this is not going to be the case. I personally have invested over 5 years of my spare time playing this game, and words do not exist to convey how fucking angry I will be if GoA simply shaft the players of the Excal cluster the same way that the players of the Classic server were shafted.

I am English, I only speak and read English, and I expect GoA to ensure that any future cluster remains in English.

I want that assurance from you now or we may as well cancel our accounts now and move to the US.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Moaning Myrtle said:
Requiel, I really do want an answer to this; once the population in the Excal/Prydwen cluster becomes to low to be sustainable (as in to few people to carry out MLs etc.) what will happen to us then?

My biggest fear is that you may well cluster us with one of the German clusters but force us to use German.

I'd like you to assure the users of FH that this is not going to be the case. I personally have invested over 5 years of my spare time playing this game, and words do not exist to convey how fucking angry I will be if GoA simply shaft the players of the Excal cluster the same way that the players of the Classic server were shafted.

I am English, I only speak and read English, and I expect GoA to ensure that any future cluster remains in English.

I want that assurance from you now or we may as well cancel our accounts now and move to the US.

Pretty obvious it will end up that way since the software engineering doesn't allow a dual language cluster.
And also of course it's better to piss off 400 players then to piss off 2500 -.-

IainC

Moaning Myrtle said:

I sort of answered this in this thread a few days ago.
Specifically I can't tell you what we will do when the population on the cluster drops to an unsustainable level. As I said before we'll likely have more options open to us at that point than we do at present and so it's a bit premature to say what we'll do. We are committed to providing an English language server however and I can't see that we'll take that choice away from our players.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
If you've been playing the game 5 years , 99% of ingame german text is gonna be obvious what it means

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom