Are you happy with the new classic merge?

are you happy?

• Total voters

- English -

Resident Freddy
After playing for days, leveling for hours, farming for years?! It very much so seems to me that it is pointless for 90% of the English community that cannot understand German.

I have tried for a few hours to get used to it, but it is like learning a new game.. or language? When we shouldnt have to. Who could have known that after spending alot of time before the merge, making and gearing your char, that it would become pointless.

This is what happens on freeshards where the server suddenly stops and the time you were on is wasted. But paying monthy subscriptions, buying x amount of addons to get no say whether you want it to change language so you cant play it anymore is imo bullshit.

I am really annoyed about this, even though i only returned to it a few weeks ago, I dont want to play TOA as the 'classic' setting is much better and is more suitible to casual players who have irl's also, like me :p.

I have rightnow'd my point but realise its like trying to get money from a tree (well anything is when you ask GOA stuff). I mentioned the point about sorting an agreement out with Mythic to allow a char transfer to their classic servers, but as i said... its not going to happen.

Discuss please.

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
sry, I had to vote! Tho I don't mind wots gonna happen :E

But yeah, it's shit. But in 1 year, every server gonna be clustered, even Camlan with the others :p

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
The language doesn't really concern me and I can't speak any German. Bit of a shame it's in German cos I speak ok French and I can manage about another half dozen languages, even some Russian.

My cleric is my main and I don't look at my qbar beyond checking if my instas and RAs are up, I group purely with French who speak English for me and my guild and alliance.

I can play the game fine, even on a German client after learning a few things like the odd names of items. I'm sure it'll be second nature to me in a few days.

Having said that, however, I'm not currently happy. Nothing to do with GOA or the language, but that ZERG. Jesus wept, 600+ people brawling outside Beno for 6 hours. Unplayable comes to mind. It's gone from one end of the scale to the other. Hopefully it's just because it's cluster day and everyone's playing to the max but I have heard rumours that this is just how the Germans play all the time - You know, like Hibernia did before server population died.

If so, I won't be keeping my account open. No regrets really, I'd left the game anyway and only came back a week but was having great fun till tonight. I really hope it calms down ... but if not, bb again lol :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
moved to Avalon recently - I am a complete language pobe and yet I can survive fairly easily. It all depends on how much you lub ze game maybe?

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
I dont speak German, never learned it on school, same as English actualy, learned it from playing computer games and software.

So far it was fun, nice to play my SB again, having some good duels and a few zergs and adds. Iam templated and aslong my gear isnt weared out i dont have to care about new items from wich i dont understand the stats etc on it.

Doing RvR only and maybe some PvE with my Thane to get enough gold to keep making potions and recharge my items.

I also noticed i didnt get as much adds as i used to get on US classic.

The population is ok now, enough action in frontiers, even as a soloer i can have some fun now. So iam happy for now, but thinks could chance in the coming weeks/months.

Iam playing US classic to, soloing with an only rr3 Hunter, its impossible actualy, everyone zergs, on every fight i get atleast an add, even rr8-9 stealthers duoing and hunting for soloers like me.

So this cluster isnt that bad compared to US classic, time will learn how it will develope. Only the language is the main problem for most English players.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Im only moaning as it was originally an english server and it feels like we been kicked out after spending alot of work because the english cant read / speak german.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
- English - said:
Im only moaning as it was originally an english server and it feels like we been kicked out after spending alot of work because the english cant read / speak german.
I appreciate your point however the choice we were facing was to either close Glastonbury in which case everything you did would then be wiped out or cluster it. Clustering with a ToA server wasn't an option, as we had a lot of feedback indicating that players would be strongly against being moved to a regular server. Clustering with a US server was impossible. The only realistic option to allow Glastonbury players to keep on playing their characters was a cluster with Salisbury. We knew it wouldn't be universally popular but we felt it was fairer than simply shutting down the server.

Phantoman

Fledgling Freddie
jhdkklk
jlkjldfgmm;l;oo [lk; ;lk;lk;jlknm.,m.siuiowt lklkjlsfjoop[
kjjmnnb dfgdfgfd wrwrwer mdmdm j[pp[klkjkasklje kjkjklsdffsj
;lkfdg;dflkkkm.,.//k;lwwl,,';';l';

ldflgkjdo;ieorukdfgcx.,mbc/x;lk;k;ie;lk;lkd;g'''s[''l;sk;lsfk;sfk
lsjfljslkjflsjdflkj,mmv,.xmv.jeoertpeoitpeoipk lkjlkjlk lkjljjo iii

dg;lkdf;lkd;lgkdg;lk&%$£$£$£"&^&

lkjhkjhj
%&$£$%^^&^$%$%

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Phantoman said:
jhdkklk
jlkjldfgmm;l;oo [lk; ;lk;lk;jlknm.,m.siuiowt lklkjlsfjoop[
kjjmnnb dfgdfgfd wrwrwer mdmdm j[pp[klkjkasklje kjkjklsdffsj
;lkfdg;dflkkkm.,.//k;lwwl,,';';l';

ldflgkjdo;ieorukdfgcx.,mbc/x;lk;k;ie;lk;lkd;g'''s[''l;sk;lsfk;sfk
lsjfljslkjflsjdflkj,mmv,.xmv.jeoertpeoitpeoipk lkjlkjlk lkjljjo iii

dg;lkdf;lkd;lgkdg;lk&%$£$£$£"&^&

lkjhkjhj
%&$£$%^^&^$%$%
Lay off the pies m8y, your fingers are obviously too fat to type on a normaly keyboard.

S

ste

Given the choice of a german language server or a dead server I would go for the German language option everytime.

Luckily our alliance has a few german speaking members so the /as channel today has been one of many translations (thx to those guys btw). Tbh if you manage to get into an English speaking alliance then the impact on your playing shouldn't be too bad once you get used to the stuff u use regularly. I think it's just come as a shock to the system to most people tho, and we're getting a knee jerk reaction. (we had 3 people in RS announce they were quitting the game within 30mins of the cluster going up today for example).

As for the people, who have only just come back a few weeks ago, that are complaining, then sorry but tuff. You did have a choice about the server and you all chose to leave, only coming back when you heard about the clustering. Those of us that were left (less than 20 people running around all NF at peak times) asked for something to be done about it. We might not of picked clustering as our first choice but it's a lot better than no epic raids ever been done again, no relics being removed from their shrines (purly down to not being able to get the 2fg together to stand on the pad, nevermind open the gates and fight off the guards and defenders) etc.

Yeh having to learn some German phrases is a pain but tbh it's less of a pain than restarting in the US - For me at least. (And you never know, knowing high fantasy german phrases might come in useful one day. Admittedly can't think of any atm, but im sure theres literally 2's and 3's of situations where it might help ;p)

A few suggestions for GOA tho

1) change the name of Glastonbury and Salisbury to Glast and Salis pls, it's making everyones names far too long, especially in the chat windows. (personally I would prefer G and S tbh)

2) See if you can change the stat buff potions to have different coloured icons to distinguish between them(they're all purple atm) so that we can easily identify them without resorting to babel fish :p

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
I appreciate your point however the choice we were facing was to either close Glastonbury in which case everything you did would then be wiped out or cluster it. Clustering with a ToA server wasn't an option, as we had a lot of feedback indicating that players would be strongly against being moved to a regular server. Clustering with a US server was impossible. The only realistic option to allow Glastonbury players to keep on playing their characters was a cluster with Salisbury. We knew it wouldn't be universally popular but we felt it was fairer than simply shutting down the server.
What about the ideas of giving bonuses to realms such as easier leveling and more rp bonuses to try and get people to play Glastonbury again? I guess you just scrapped them ideas didn't you because it would be too much effort.
Nice.

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
get a grip you fucking idiots, after playing on a german server for a month i dont even notice it anymore, its all in the backbone now. you had 2 choices, get to play your chars or have them deleted, now you atleast have the choice yourself.

for making ppl's names shorter in chat window, just use /rpfilter Salisbury S and Glastonbury G.. easy, thought everyone had that? :D

no matter even if you had 50000000x xp rp and gaybonus on glaston you wouldnt have gotten more than a couple players there. you should be happy the shithole that the classic is actually got clustered instead of deletion.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
ste said:
1) change the name of Glastonbury and Salisbury to Glast and Salis pls, it's making everyones names far too long, especially in the chat windows. (personally I would prefer G and S tbh)

/rpfilter Glastonbury G
/rpfilter Salisbury S

It's a pain in the arse tbh, same problem on the ToA clusters.

Jeffery

Fledgling Freddie
bunch of tossers

Well it goes to show that money talks what a bunch of tossers GOA are. People who have worked hard on this server now cannot play anymore because GOA want to please german speaking players because obviously thats where the most cash is coming in well shove your game where the sun dont shine and please please dont give GOA warhammer online.This was an english speaking server that allowed other europeans to use. GOA your a bunch of sad f**ks. Do us all a favour and go bankrupt ffs.

S

ste

Eleasias said:
for making ppl's names shorter in chat window, just use /rpfilter Salisbury S and Glastonbury G.. easy, thought everyone had that? :D

Tried it before posting tbh.

/rpfilter Glastonbury G gives the loverly message - Your RpFilter entry may only be used to replace words that are shorter than 10 characters!

not so easy :(

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I'm sure I'll adjust. The language didn't really matter before, as I didn't meet any players there (only play casually and recently).

Unusual not to have had any sort of login poll for a change of this magnitude, though. It's nice to feel consulted.

Maybe with the change to Devon (?) cluster to allow people to play all three realms on one server (as the Japanese ones had) there is a chance for playing all three realms in English on the cluster ?

Darzil

Galadry

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a character into her thirties on Glastonbury quite recently and whilst it was dead quiet it was very charming to be bowed and waved to whilst out and about and passing another character!

I want to continue playing her very much. I think it will be strange having to do everything in German but this might be my chance to dredge up my A level German skills and learn some new game-related vocabulary! So trying to look on the bright side. My one worry tho - I can understand waay more than I think I can respond to and I'm going to be really shy til I get into the swing of it.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
adapt lol

the strong will adapt to new situations

the weak will shy away and be unable to adapt and be weak throught life.

Tilda

Its not so bloody hard.
Jeffrey, chill the hell out.
As Requiel said, it was a choice between cluster or close.
Ok so german might not be your first language but its still better being able to play your character in german than not being able to play it at all.

Gamah

Banned
Tilda said:
Its not so bloody hard.
Ok so german might not be your first language but its still better being able to play your character in german than not being able to play it at all.

Must be hard when you have no life. Probably plays daoc 24/7 :<

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
As Ste said, /rpfilter doesn't work on Glastonbury and even if it did, it doesn't shorten the combat window messages!

I'd prefer the names to be shortened on the server list so I can /rpfilter it in chat for my guild and alliance, but also would help clean up the status window a bit too.

Not sure Requiel's kicking about so I might RN it and ask =)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
I also think /rpfilter would be better if it worked for the status window. Btw have you guys tried /rpfilter Glastonbur g ? That should shorthen Glastonbury into gy.

Edit: I don't understand why some of you can get so annoyed over a language, it's the same game still. I don't speak German either but I couldn't care less what language.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Hmm. Ok, a few more things to add to what I said earlier.

I initially expected that we would run a login poll to see what the mood of the players was - even if only to find out what the least worst option was. At the meeting where the options for Glastonbury were discussed I brought that up but was told it wasn't an option for several reasons. Firstly, the only choices we could give players was 'Do you want your server to close or do you want it in German?' We didn't really need to run a poll to see what the likely result of that would be. Also it's not possible to do a poll just for a specific server. Everyone would get it - cluster players and Camlann players included. Given the very low population on Glastonbury, it was entirely possible that the 'genuine' votes from people who actually played the server would get swamped by votes from people who had no interest either way but just clicked a random button.

Changing the server designator on names isn't as simple as it sounds. I don't know if you remember the initial cluster of the English servers but for a week or so the server names were in capitals. It actually requires a new set of server binaries to change that - which means getting new binary files from Mythic and bringing the server down to install them. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not likely to happen unless we need to bring the server down for something else anyway.

Underpopulation bonuses do not attract new players. They do make it easier for the players already there but no-one is going to roll on an empty server just because they have a 2 day free level period. The underpopulation bonuses were not a solution to the situation on Glastonbury before the cluster. There has to be a viable population in place before they have any effect. Even then our experience has shown that they do not actually do very much to change population ratios - they aren't an incentive, they are a way to allow lower populations to compete. As far as making an effort is concerned, editing underpopulation bonuses is something that I can do by myself ingame in approximately 5 minutes. It's about 6 lines of text commands. Clustering a server on the other hand is a significant undertaking that requires careful co-ordination between our technical teams here and at the platform, close consultation with Mythic and about two weeks of solid preparation to make the servers, the network and all the databases and ancillary systems ready for the operation. In no way can it be described as the easy way out.

Finally, it absolutely wasn't done to please the German players. They were quite happy already playing with a population of 6-800. We did this for the benefit of the players on Glastonbury. Not everyone likes it, but we felt it was the best option overall. More people would have been more unhappy if we'd simply closed the server.

Jeffery

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Its not so bloody hard.

Tilda your a GOA pawn this sux and you know it. If i wanted to learn german i would do it at college. This is yet another nail in daoc's coffin,GOA dictate and we pay them for it omg what a laugh well not anymore. I've had my accounts since day one love the game but between mythic and GOA they have managed to completely screw this game up (TOA being one) do u think WoW players get this crap or would put up with it ? i dont think so.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Will you look at renaming the servers then please? I'm sure the German players are equally is narced with the unnecessary long names of people now - they can /rpfilter their chat unlike us, but still the status window is insane !

Nate

FH is my second home
I just hope when it comes to Exc/Pryd clustering to another language, that by that time Mythic will figure out how to make different languages on one server..It doesn't sound difficult considering there are already different clients for different languages, but I'm sure it is.

The changing of a servers language removes a few playstyles for some people, such as players who like to do quests..they will no longer be able to understand anything..so the only people who can make any use of the cluster will be PvP players imo, as seen by the recent move of a lot of exc/pryd clusters rvr groups to avalon they moved for PvP and aren't as hindered as a PvE player would be

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
It's not gonna be impossible would just mean having about ten different languages to call for each NPC and game message. Far, far from impossible but no reason why Mythic would work on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom