are you all sad addicts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benappo

Do any of you have any RL interests, or are you all so addicted to this game that you play in every spare moment, to the detriment of everything else?

I only ask because many people here are so focussed on their alts that they seem to have no idea there is a RL out there.

Peeps should really take a look at themselves and what they're doing with their lives if the main source, even only source, of enjoyment they've got is this fantasy game. I bet many people come home from work, slob in front of their computer and play for 6-8 hours (more?) solid, eating crap and generally not washing, exercising or doing anything else.

Peeps will turn round and say, sure "I go out on friday/saturday night", but that's not really an interest is it? I mean do any of you have hobbies, sports, or even like more intellectual things like history or arts for example. I bet a lot of DAOCers just play DAOC, and nothing else. That is really quite sad.

People are gonna reply "f@ck off it's our life" etc. but surely life's got to have something more to it than months, or years of sitting in your musty, darkened room, playing a game and chatting to "friends" consisting of trolls and kobolds.

Flame away, but i don't give a sh@t.

R

Rubric

Randall Flagg

My life for you, My life for you.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by benappo
their lives if the main source, even only source, of enjoyment they've got is this fantasy game. I bet many people come home from work, slob in front of their computer and play for 6-8 hours (more?) solid, eating crap and generally not washing, exercising or doing anything else.

Bah, you sussed us all out ... ;)

my hobbies include :

Confirming pizza toppings with my eyes shut, simply by smell.

Burping to the tune of Rule Brittania after drinking one too many of the fizzy beverage variety.

Being able to say 'No, IVE got a headache' to my Girlfriend, after staring at a computer screen for more than 4 hours without a break.

Oh and i dont own wallpaper in my study, it peeled itself off the wall years ago ... washing, whats that ?

On a more serious note :

I am an avid Ice hockey fan.

I ride my motorbike quite a bit

I am a film buff and love a good movie of an evening instead of playing DAOC (with the Mrs, of course) be it at the cinema or 1 of my 600+ DVD collection

And no real flame in sight ;) yet....

T

tris-

i used to be then i realised there were betting things than a shitty game

B

benappo

Rubric, why have you qouted "The Stand" at me?????

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Got school, do sports 3 times a week, hang out with friends, go out, go to movies, make graphics ect.

But each to his/her own.

L

living

uhmm.. ya well my life is daoc too i guess :]

But i dont get why u even bother to post something like that benappo ? trying to run from the truth that ur one of us!!!!!?

J

Jonaldo

I go out to pubs/clubs/bars on Fridays and Saturdays, play 5-a-side football 2 evenings a week and often play 8 & 9 ball pool at the local pool hall with friends. Played guitar for 10 years and been in 3 bands :p

Oh yeah I quit daoc several months ago :D

G

Galewyr Dark

work........drive to/from work......walk dog.......films...cook......go out for drinks with friends.......watch films.....watch random dvds.......talk about random things with poeple in irc.

I spend my entire working day talking to poeple over the phone..to get home and not have to is a god send.

Then again if you worked by yourself you prolly would want to talk to people...but i talk to enough people that i don't want to in the evenings.

as Gombur says

Each to their own

J

Jonaldo

omg in between me reading thread then posting reply Gombur has turned from a little red eyeball to a green monst0r!!

G

grebneklaf

Well if it isnt DAoC it would have been some other game, been addicted for near 20 years now, since i first popped in the first disk.

N

Nichneven

Frankly I work a day job - 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, sometimes overtime because I'm a webmistress. I play Daoc at night weekdays for about 2 hours per night, but not every night. Right now I'm bent on finishing the latest Harry Potter book.. :)

On weekends I spend a few hours on Daoc but I usually end up going out with friends during the day. My nights are kind of uneventful, though, because I prefer to sleep at reasonable hours so I can be awake for work the next week.

Daoc doesn't put money in my pocket :p

B

Belsameth

Tell me, Benappo, what gives you the right to judge me, or anybody else?

J

Jonaldo

Belsameth isn't a sad addict, she is a happy addict :p

S

Solid

This guy seems to be jealous that some people can juggle DAoC and RL together rather well AND achieve something in game.

Just cos he cannot play daoc moderately and get results with his toons etc don't mean he can bash on those of us that can.

It doesnt take 18 hours a day to get 4-5 level 50 chars with decent realm ranks you dunce.

Not only that it doesnt require 18 hours a day play to get well known and respected in this gaming community either.

Lots of players have played for 18 months or more without being glued at their screens, thats a decent length of time to slowly build up a few chars and a reputation.

Whats your excuse?

Take your attitude elsewhere, its not wanted or needed here.

C

_cofi_

Hes right though in some cases - i bet loads of people play this far too much....probably at the expense of their wasteline (well actually, probably not as much as what people were playing in the first year).

I bet theres loads of avid gamers out there whose belly has been expanded due to years of inactivity and pizza munching...

If thou ist fat - thoust shall be judged....probably.

N

Nightchill

*shrug*
I snowboard, I've just graduated after 4 years at Uni and I'm off travelling with my girlfriend for 6 months starting in ooh - 2 weeks :D (see www.nonotheotherleft.com ).

N

Nichneven

Originally posted by _cofi_
i bet loads of people play this far too much....probably at the expense of their wasteline

Nah.. some of us are vegetarian and shun cheezy, unhealthy things like greasy pizza :clap:

edit: i actually have lost weight since I started Daoc ;)

S

Sharma

I still have yet to quit after saying so about 3 or 4 times now.

X

xplo

Well I played lots of games over the years now, ever since I got my Nintendo. I like play alot when a new game is out, but my friends and family goes first. I did breakdance about a year ago in a dance school in my town but its closed down now and instead of spending my time with dancing I play daoc, its a hobby like all other things.

W

wolfspirit

Sad addict nope.

Yes i do spend a few hrs in front of this game but as ive since a severe illness been turned from an avid sports player to a category 1 disabled cripple i try to keep busy, however i also find time to roleplay with m8s, go on long walks with my dog everyday on hour + long treks, watch DVDs or go out once every week or more for a few drinks or to the cinema.

Ive built 7 lvl 50s in various realms on the english servers.

Am i happy playing daoc ? Yes
Am i happy with Mythics nerfs ? No
Will i continue to play ? Yes as long as my wife and i have fun in game i will.

J

Jonaldo

I know a lot of people that called me 'sad' or a 'geek' in the past because I played online games, these are the same people that I regularly see out and about at weekends but anyway...
I asked them "What do you do weeknights while I'm being sad indoors?"

Answers ranged from 'nothing' to 'watch telly' and 'listen to *choons*'... so what's less sad about those than playing a game?
While playing online games I also regularly do nothing, watch tv and listen to music, I guess I'm just a superior human being than them as I also fit playing music, drawing, reading and writing all at the same time.

Benappo is probably just a fat greasy sloth whose fingers are too fat to control a mouse well enough to play an online game anyway :D (no this isn't a flame, just an observation)

B

benappo

Well, having read the replies, it's obvious some of the peeps playing this game also have a life.

BUT a lot of people have a real problem playing, or rather not playing. How many of you come home and immediately go to play DAOC (or any other online game) after possibly grabbing something to eat? Probably hundreds. How many people then stay on for hours at a time, shunning the summer sunlight and saying "just half an hour more" to themselves? Again probably hundreds.

That can't be too healthy really can it?

The real test is, how many of you have tried to stop playing, telling yourself you'll do other RL things, and caved in within 10mins/1 hour/1day (take your pick)?

I bet that lots of you have. Now that is the beginning of an addiction if ever i saw one.

And before anyone starts slagging me off, it almost happened to me. I played DAOC and found myself playing just that half hour extra, and before i knew it, it was 4am and i had to get up 3 hours later.

Luckily i saw where that was heading, and quit. Deleted DAOC from my harddrive, snapped the CD and tore up my account details.

Never looked back.

How many other people can say they'd be willing to do that?

Flame away as usual.....

S

Solid

so you being weak enuff that you caved in to the addiction but finally beat it means you get to slag off all the other people, of which many probably play in moderation and balance their life?

rofl, hypocrisy is just dandy aint it.

The only six pack withing 100 yards of me is embedded just in front of my stomach, i got a glorious summer tan, I dont each much pizza...

You know that ad on the telly?

...Does play games

...doesn't smoke

Its kinda like that, just cos ur an avid gamer dont mean you're a 15 stone lard arse with a phospho tan.

A

Arnor

I do have some rl-interests, but yes daoc has been cutting in on the amount of time i've spent with my mates this last year. Im not addicted as in i go nuts if i cant play daoc, but i do log on daoc if i have nothing better to do. when i am playing though i can be hard to stop since im playing with ppl that usually depend on me, but except from failing grades and a tad worse relationship with my mates, it hasnt cost me that much yet :eek:

if this is hard to read, feel free to insert (.) wherever you like, i have a typing impediment tonight so i cant type (.) :(

J

Jonaldo

I stopped playing DAoC in February, still got the CD's, it's still installed, still got all account details around somewhere. I just don't want to play it, nothing to do with addiction, it's just there's not much else better to do.

As I stated earlier, most of the people that call us geeks or take the piss for playing online games do nothing else other than watch tv or ... nothing at all in the evenings.
I general once you're past 25 you really don't go out much during the week and so I rely on playing pool and football midweek to get out and then binge drink of a weekend which is even worse for my body but is socially accepted.

Fact of the matter is, games aren't addictive, it's just whether or not there's anything else worth doing while you're playing. For me there's not really, but I just move from game to game as they get tiresome fairly quick the older I get.

(28 now and rising :mad: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom