Apple Watch

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You have got to be fucking joking.

Anyway, nice thread @Wij. Now we can dump all the apple-related idiocy right in here ;)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Don't forget you also need an iPhone to use it with, that another £500 on top of that.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
The funny thing is all these apple fanboys will buy it too because it's apple. If they made a turd with the apple logo on it people will still buy it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'll probably get the cheapo model as a toy. 339 quid. Worth a try.

The space black steel strap looks ace but 900 quid for a watch that will be obsolete in a year can fuck off.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
that is ridiculous. sadly the mouth-breathing fanbois will make it sell out, and Apple will label it a complete success.

Edmond

Not worn a watch since I was at school. What's the Casio jobby that they have sold shed loads of? that one. I think I was about 14 the last time I wore it and then strap broke

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not worn a watch since I was at school. What's the Casio jobby that they have sold shed loads of? that one. I think I was about 14 the last time I wore it and then strap broke
F91W?

Mine is about 12 years old. Still on original battery. Strap broke but not bad for 7 quid.

Got a W59 now. Similar but fully waterproof. I could scuba in it. 8 quid.

Edmond

F91W?

Mine is about 12 years old. Still on original battery. Strap broke but not bad for 7 quid.

Got a W59 now. Similar but fully waterproof. I could scuba in it. 8 quid.

No I couldn't have been the F-91W as I got it in '82 and that one was released in '91

Found it, it was the W300 Marlin, I remember the marlin logo on the front

DSC_5642_1000_1000_f9f9f9_imageslargewater_png_140_60_40_r_b_-10_-10_all_15.jpg

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sweet Jesus what a load of nonsense. A grand for a watch you have to charge every day. And its not even very attractive. If you must get a smartwatch (and I really don't know why you would), get this one, for a third of the price, seven times the battery life and interoperability with iOS or Android. And its better looking.
time_steel_3up.png

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Did take a look at the Apple Watch in one of their SoCal stores on Saturday then immediately went to Bestbuy and purchased a Moto 360 :)

DaGaffer

Did take a look at the Apple Watch in one of their SoCal stores on Saturday then immediately went to Bestbuy and purchased a Moto 360 :)

Saw that on the other thread. Its better looking, but I'm still not convinced of its usefulness as a watch. I looked at that Facepro link though and that was kind of cool, but surely all those watch face designs aren't legit? I can't imagine the likes of Rolex or IWC licencing their trademarks and IP for smart watches.

I think if I go down the smartwatch route it will be via "smart straps" or something like that, which takes up wrist real estate I wouldn't otherwise be using and can work in conjunction with a real watch, but only if its subtle.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I've aired my opinions on watches in the past.

This is just as ridiculous frankly, people would justify buying a £8-9k Rolex watch, but people are turning their noses up to this?

I don't know, I think Apple are doing it right, keep the prices high, then over time you'll be seen as a luxury company which people will aspire to buy products from.

Gone is the consumerism of buying low cost and small, it's not about saving dem pennies to get a product with an apple on it.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
So what's funnier than someone paying $16,000 for a 18k gold Apple Watch? Someone paying that much for an 18k "Apple Gold" watch - http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

tl;dr The gold alloy they are using is a new Apple patented composite that is less dense than the usual 18k gold you get in jewellery or high end watches. This means in a given volume of the new alloy there is actually 50% less gold than normal.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

This is just as ridiculous frankly, people would justify buying a £8-9k Rolex watch, but people are turning their noses up to this?

A quality timepiece with hundreds of hours of manufacturing by very skilled people vs a few IC's, LCD and battery in a shiny designer case and made on a production line in China. I personally think there is a hell of a difference.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
So what's funnier than someone paying $16,000 for a 18k gold Apple Watch? Someone paying that much for an 18k "Apple Gold" watch - http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

tl;dr The gold alloy they are using is a new Apple patented composite that is less dense than the usual 18k gold you get in jewellery or high end watches. This means in a given volume of the new alloy there is actually 50% less gold than normal.
Wouldn't less gold in it make it less than 18K? At least that is how I always thought it worked. The more actual gold in it the higher the K level.

Edit: just googled it :) http://gold.yabz.com/measurements.htm

DaGaffer

I don't know, I think Apple are doing it right, keep the prices high, then over time you'll be seen as a luxury company which people will aspire to buy products from.

Gone is the consumerism of buying low cost and small, it's not about saving dem pennies to get a product with an apple on it.

An 8-9K Rolex will still be worth 7-8K 10, 20 years from now (probably more). You're buying high end jewellery. A Mk1 Apple iWatch will have value as a curiosity, so there may in fact be value in buying one now, except, because Apple products have sealed batteries, its pretty much impossible to keep an iWatch (or any other Apple i product) "mint in box". Once the iWatch gets past the first production run, its just another disposable piece of consumer electronics and nothing like a mechanical watch in value, or in my case, interest.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Wouldn't less gold in it make it less than 18K? At least that is how I always thought it worked. The more actual gold in it the higher the K level.

It's still 18k gold by weight, so you are correct that the amount of gold in 1kg of the usual alloy and the new Apple one is identical. However the new one is less dense, so the amount of gold in a given volume is lower. So Apple need to use less gold to manufacturer each watch of those dimensions.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Regardless of the price of the electronic part I also can't believe the prices of the straps (well I can as it's Apple)!

£379 for the stainless steel one and £39 for the cheapest sport one. Clearly another profit stream!

Also the design is pretty ugly. Not a patch on the Moto 360. The idea of a smartwatch does interest me - mainly as a fitbit replacement with some extra functions - but it should look good and have some functions that I would actually use not just gimmicks. Also not at an extortionate price!

leggy

Probably Scottish
I don't wear a watch but I see the attraction with a traditional one. Smart watches... I'm still yet to see a genuine, valuable use for them. The price point for these things and their accessories is just hilarious. However, I would like to draw a cock on my watch and have all my friends see it in real time though.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Regardless of the price of the electronic part I also can't believe the prices of the straps (well I can as it's Apple)!

£379 for the stainless steel one and £39 for the cheapest sport one. Clearly another profit stream!

Also the design is pretty ugly. Not a patch on the Moto 360. The idea of a smartwatch does interest me - mainly as a fitbit replacement with some extra functions - but it should look good and have some functions that I would actually use not just gimmicks. Also not at an extortionate price!

Pebble Stainless Steel bands for Moto 360 and Pebble watch are $40, have no idea how Apple can justify that. I wanted something a bit more that just a fitbit and the Moto 360 was a good option for me. Can control the music on my phone whilst jogging or walking the dog. Also tells me who is calling so I can decide whether to answer the call. With Phone in Armband that was a plus for me.

FYI Battery life is good, I have been wearing it from 7 am to 11 pm and lowest the battery got was 64% so far and I have been testing it a lot. I reckon 2-3 days of normal use which is on par with my phone so no issue there.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Ive just been chuckling at all the insults in this thread and the fact that because of my consumer choices I am a mouth breathing fanboi who is an imbecile. Like some of you I wondered about the usefulness of a smart watch and what it could possibly bring to my quality of life.... However, I am embedded in the Apple ecosystem (work devices both Apple) and I use apple for home too, so if I was going to embrace the smart watch Apple was the only choice (I have played with a pebble and actually I didn't like it... As a watch is a highly personal item it is something that you wear like any fashion item that you need to feel comfortable with).

I got mine yesterday with some of the 'fun' money I allocated my bonus. It is an Apple Watch (not Sport) 38mm with a Milanese band. Surprisingly it isn't as thick as I thought nor heavier than my diesel watch.

When I opened the box it really is nicely packaged which surprised me a little, I expected something cardboardy but it oozed quality. I paired it with my phone without issue. It seemlessly picked up all the apps that could interact with it.

Setting up the watch face is fun and you can add your own personality to it.

Apart from the fact to me it is incredibly aesthetically pleasing, the technology is surprisingly intuitive: it doesn't bombard you with notifications whilst you are using your paired phone, the notifications appear as a small red dot at the top of the clock face, to reply to questions in texts the device cleverly picks out the choices or gives you an abundance of smart answers to choose from.

I used it today to measure going for a long walk and it's interactions with goals set in my phone.. It's good and the reporting is also good. One thing I like is that you can see clearly active calories vs total amongst other nifty pieces of info.

Finally and currently very important to me is that I feel a little liberated... My phones no longer are on the arm rest on the sofa or constantly in my hand. If my phone is on DND then the only notifications I get on my watch are from my mum or Kris. If my phone was visible I would 'need' to check it out of habit.

So for anyone who doesn't mind the insults, it is much better than you may think :). I got mine in the Easter sale so yes costly..... Worth the money, ask me again in 3 months :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Edmond

Ive just been chuckling at all the insults in this thread and the fact that because of my consumer choices I am a mouth breathing fanboi who is an imbecile. Like some of you I wondered about the usefulness of a smart watch and what it could possibly bring to my quality of life.... However, I am embedded in the Apple ecosystem (work devices both Apple) and I use apple for home too, so if I was going to embrace the smart watch Apple was the only choice (I have played with a pebble and actually I didn't like it... As a watch is a highly personal item it is something that you wear like any fashion item that you need to feel comfortable with).

I got mine yesterday with some of the 'fun' money I allocated my bonus. It is an Apple Watch (not Sport) 38mm with a Milanese band. Surprisingly it isn't as thick as I thought nor heavier than my diesel watch.

When I opened the box it really is nicely packaged which surprised me a little, I expected something cardboardy but it oozed quality. I paired it with my phone without issue. It seemlessly picked up all the apps that could interact with it.

Setting up the watch face is fun and you can add your own personality to it.

Apart from the fact to me it is incredibly aesthetically pleasing, the technology is surprisingly intuitive: it doesn't bombard you with notifications whilst you are using your paired phone, the notifications appear as a small red dot at the top of the clock face, to reply to questions in texts the device cleverly picks out the choices or gives you an abundance of smart answers to choose from.

I used it today to measure going for a long walk and it's interactions with goals set in my phone.. It's good and the reporting is also good. One thing I like is that you can see clearly active calories vs total amongst other nifty pieces of info.

Finally and currently very important to me is that I feel a little liberated... My phones no longer are on the arm rest on the sofa or constantly in my hand. If my phone is on DND then the only notifications I get on my watch are from my mum or Kris. If my phone was visible I would 'need' to check it out of habit.

So for anyone who doesn't mind the insults, it is much better than you may think :). I got mine in the Easter sale so yes costly..... Worth the money, ask me again in 3 months :)
Does it tell the time..? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom