Apple Ipad

Embattle

FH is my second home
They buy them because people generally buy with their eyes and often don't look below the surface, this has always been the case with Apple.

I know a number of people who have Apple products be it macs, iphones, etc but even some of them are questioning the lack of certain features although then again you've a few who will always fall in love before actually reading about the product.

I won't deny the iPad is certainly an interesting product even if it seems a repackaged product/idea, but for me the whole idea of the product and how they are pushing seems a bit weak when you considered some of the things that seem to be missing or the limitations imposed.

The good thing I view about this is that others will now perhaps stop dragging there collective feet on such devices although naturally breaking a monopolistic system that Apple uses will be harder the longer they leave it....ironic that Apple seems to not take much flak over such practice.

In the end I expect it'll sell a shit load, in the Uk you probably won't see it much before May.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
No, the point is that Apple are selling things that people want. There's no other explanation for the fact that their products are so popular.

Slight correction, they sell products that Apple fanboys want. It's like the BMW X6 - a fucking ugly, hopeless, pointless and expensive car but the BMW fanboys will buy it regardless of what anyone else thinks. It's the same way that there is a market for shiny Apple shit, and their fans will buy it regardless. I seriously doubt it'll have Joe Public penetration, especially not at that price.

I genuinely don't see the issue.

The issue in my opinion is the bow-down worship of Apple and it's supposed cutting edge innovation regardless of how flawed the product is. Seriously, Steve Jobs could announce a lump of coal as the next product and it will be met with WOOHOO, wolf whistles and applause. Technically, there's nothing good about this product, but the Apple zealots will be ramming it down our throats for months about how ace it is when it's clearly pish from the get go. Emperor's New Clothes.

I can't fault Apple for their marketing. Its perfect. I don't own any Apple products, but I'd like one of these. I won't buy one, but I still want it—because its shiny, and looks cool. That's what Apple do; they make computers and gadgets cool. PCs in white boxes aren't cool.

You're right, Apple's marketing is superb. I'd be willing to bet every penny I have that you'd buy it, get bored of it and want to sell it once you knew how technically guff it is. Even to this day, given peer pressure, I think to myself "maybe I should have bought an iPhone, maybe everyone else is right and I am wrong, maybe my sex life WOULD be better if I bought Apple products". Well, I bought my missus an iPod touch for her birthday, and whilst it's not an iPhone it is so hugely limited in comparison with the HTC Hero - i'd be utterly sick of an iPhone in a matter of days with its lack of functionality that I take so for granted with the Hero.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't think I can read all the comments, some of them make me want to stab my eyes out. This guy makes a good point:

The hypocrisy/bias is overwhelming.

but it remains to be seen if Android is really the right OS for a 10-inch tablet.

It also remains to be seen if iPhone OS is really the right OS for a 10-inch tablet.

The Dell Mini 5 and forthcoming Android edition of the Archos 7 tablet are two of a kind, almost oversized smartphones in their feature sets. Is an extra two or three inches of screen real estate worth the consequent decrease in pocketability?

And yet... the iPad isn't? Oh wait it actually isn't because it's missing several features that nearly all Smartphones have.

I don't get why you're prepared to question whether android would be good for these things while acting like the same caveats of porting a mobile OS to a larger device don't apply to the iPad. Especially when the use of the iPhone OS is a lot more questionable. Android is very different to the iPhone OS. By default its a lot more robust and closer to a computer OS than the iPhones. The big kicker as well is that it's no where nearly as locked down as the iPhone OS is. Because of its customization options it's a lot better suited to making the jump than the iPhone OS ever was.

Also while flash is present on neither we at least know that it's coming on Android while it may never arrive on the iPad.

That's what pulls my pisser about the whole Apple situation - it's worse than fucking religion. If Apple products have a shit spec, then it's vehemently defended by the Apple community in act of religious blind faith and twisted into something positive. "It has no camera, but who needs a camera!" - "It can't multitask, but I don't want to multitask! Apple are so the best!". Yawn.

It's funny how the iReader (iPad)is being compared with tablets/slates...Apple is 5 years ahead yet again.

5 years ahead? Again? Pardon? You mean like how they moved their hardware to Intel? You mean how they based their latest and greatest Mac OS X on a circa 40 year old operating system? (not saying that's a bad thing)

Jeros

Part of the furniture
My £200 netbook out performs it in EVERY way expect touch screen.

I have a bigger screen (10.1), more powerful cpu, more ram, more storage, AND its windows so i can USB anything else i need like GPS

Apple fail

It will still sell shitloads to the trendy crowd tho.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
As a friend pointed out, this could be a device to recommend to clueless users, those who are likely to download an attachment and run it. The restrictions could be perfect to protect these users, if they can only run official apps then the chances of them getting spyware are considerably lower.

rynnor

Rockhound
As a friend pointed out, this could be a device to recommend to clueless users, those who are likely to download an attachment and run it. The restrictions could be perfect to protect these users, if they can only run official apps then the chances of them getting spyware are considerably lower.

Like a really expensive 'my first computer' - maybe I should buy one for the kids :p

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally I would call them clueless, I just tend to think that they are willing to put up with the disadvantages just because it is an Apple product but if it were any other they would probably make more noise.

Chilly

Balls of steel
where is all the money going? the hardware cant be that expensive. Apple are a bunch of *****, its vastly overpriced. I think it's going to fail. It will sell a big lump up front to the fanboys then quietly die and rev2 will be more like a netbook.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It isn't overpriced at all. You set your price at whatever people will pay. People will buy this in droves.

Good on them I say. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, so I don't see why people are getting so upset about it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
BECAUSE this is not a perfect free market. Apple wield disproportionate marketing power and trend setting ability for future product lines in other companies.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
It isn't overpriced at all. You set your price at whatever people will pay. People will buy this in droves.

Of course it's overpriced, just because people are willing to pay that much doesn't change that. You have to give Apple credit for the ease with which they seem to be able to make people part with their cash for things they neither need nor do as much as cheaper priced equivalents.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
BECAUSE this is not a perfect free market. Apple wield disproportionate marketing power and trend setting ability for future product lines in other companies.

...and why do they wield that power? Did they hire a sorcerer?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ipad feature comparison:

Attachments

• ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 52

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wait, it has no USB port?

Nope, only one proprietary 30 pin Apple port, you have to use a adaptor (purchased separately from Apple) to use any usb devices, or memory cards etc.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
TBH the stone has a better, ergonomic design, unlike the iPad.

I think you can probably use a stone for more things as well.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The stone can multi-task, the chart lies. Once I used a stone as a tool and a weapon AT THE SAME TIME.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
...and why do they wield that power? Did they hire a sorcerer?

Yes, Steve Jobs although i'm convinced he's more of a Derren Brown style mentalist though.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I think they should christen it the MaxIPad. Cos you can guarantee wherever you see one there will be a **** nearby :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
*sputters*

fucking lol so true :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom