Apple Ipad

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
more shite ... i dont like these tablet type things they tried to sell them before and no one picked up on it ... i prefer a keyboard much simpler imo

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
What a pointless piece of shiny tat. Mind you its from the pioneers of useless and pointless pieces of shiny tat, so why was I surprised?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
What a pointless piece of shiny tat. Mind you its from the pioneers of useless and pointless pieces of shiny tat, so why was I surprised?

while normally I'd agree with you hands down, I also watched my friend unbox his new IMac yesterday. it was pretty! slow, yes, expensive, yes, but pretty!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
while normally I'd agree with you hands down, I also watched my friend unbox his new IMac yesterday. it was pretty! slow, yes, expensive, yes, but pretty!

Meh. I much prefer the HP and Sony all in one machines from a design front. They look cool AND look like they're designed to do a job. iMac's are like B&O stereos, crafty design, shitty innards.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
heh, I am typing this from my Vaio btw. I am also drinking espresso. Such a snob :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Meh. I much prefer the HP and Sony all in one machines from a design front. They look cool AND look like they're designed to do a job. iMac's are like B&O stereos, crafty design, shitty innards.

like pretty much every other brand on earth...

not one of them use much of any "high end" stuff.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok, let me gets this straight:

It's a touchscreen laptop without the keyboard, but not as good or as flexible as a laptop, but much bigger than a Smartphone?

What a crock of shit, but the Apple fanbois will be coming in each other's mouths over this and buy one anyway. I can't wait to read a rehash of "THE IPHONE IS THE BEST PHONE EVER", something along the lines of "YOU BOUGHT A DELL LAPTOP? AHAHAHAHAHA IPAD OWNS J00".

Get fucked.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
C'mon Big G, you're allowing far too much literacy in these imaginary users. They use Macs. They can barely see, let alone read or write.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Amen to that, it will sell by the boatload to the braindead masses no doubt though.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Was just reading some of the specs. The top line one seems to give Bluetooth, wifi and 3G. Then i had a thought of seeing some fashion victim sitting at a coffee shop holding his iBigAssPhone to his ear to take a call.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Was just reading some of the specs. The top line one seems to give Bluetooth, wifi and 3G. Then i had a thought of seeing some fashion victim sitting at a coffee shop holding his iBigAssPhone to his ear to take a call.

I've seen the Dom Joly jokes about this at least twice already.

Can't say I'm feeling the love; its only ace card is screen rotation, which makes it a better reader, other than that a decent netbook is better and cheaper. This seems like the answer to a question no-one asked. If they made the same thing and the screen folded/rolled up, then it would be interesting.

*edit* oh and no flash and no multitasking - so reading while playing music is out. What a load of rubbish.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes the no Multi tasking seems a bit of a failure, even worse is a gut feelign that they've left things off it just to have something extra to put on the iPad 2.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
No multitasking? What the fuck is wrong with the people at Apple?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
so reading while playing music is out. What a load of rubbish.

Are you sure about that? There's no multitasking on the iphone either but as far as I'm aware, music playing is the exception.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
im laughing my ass off... big g you win the price of funnyman for tongiht

Im too also seeing this as a no-place product
... something you take with you everyday?... hardly too big
and at home maybe its good for using at the couch when watching tv...
but I dunno maybe one expensive car toy..

I don't really see ppl using this as something they move around with.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It may well be filling a gap in the market that wasn't there but do any of you actually think this will be unsuccessful?

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
I dunno man ppl buy so much crap.. its like those minipc's i guess so I guess it will be a hit but really reading books from a lcd.display? its not really a mp3 player or a phone now is it so what is it then a surf tablet with 3g... without multitasking?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Tablet type devices are useful in hospitals and other places as clipboard replacements.

I read elsewhere it doesn't suppport Flash directly, which messes up web browsing for many intarweb places without a bit of technical jiggery pokery.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Can you see it being successful though? I can't see it being anywhere near as popular as say, the iPhone. Everyone needs a phone, Apple went and redesigned the smart phone to much success. It's not as if everyone absolutely needs an iPad to solve all their computer problems though.

It may end up becoming an Apple TV, a Macbook Air, etc. Decent devices which are pretty good at doing what they're designed for, but not a huge success like the iPod or iPhone. It'll probably generate enough revenue to be a worthwhile product to keep going.

The restrictions on it make it entirely pointless from my point of view. No multitasking, restricted to the mighty app store and their ridiculous verification procedures, etc.

Kryten

Old Cow.
There's no chance in hell it won't sell by the bucketload.

But in my very anti-apple eyes:

It's dreadful for what it does.
It's full of Apple's marketing bullshit, it isn't capable of half of what Jobs said, or the box will say.
It's overpriced and underquality (it will be, when has any Apple device been of high build quality?)
Lots of tablets around that, for the sake of another few mm in depth, will do twice as much, twice as quickly.

Chilly

Balls of steel
$750 up front plus 30 bux a month for "unlimited" 3g access. For that you could get a bona fide laptop and the same of better 3g tarrif. I bet you cant put your own SIMs in the thing either.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It is bullshit. It's like someone in the design team went "we've done all we can with iPhone, what can we do, we're screwed" and someone from marketing went "make it bigger, everything is better when its BIGGER!!!!!"*

*may be from a Dilbert strip somewhere

rynnor

Rockhound
Its too big - you'll need a frigging laptop bag to carry it around which is a right pain.

I can carry a netbook in my pocket and it has far more features and costs less - I hope it sells millions though as it will be ridiculously funny to see people manhandling these tombstones around :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom