APB All Points Bulletin

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Developer gone into administration. I for one am shocked!

lol.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Aye not enough sign ups heh .. maybe ppl are at last seeing the light of crappy mmo's that are half finished .. 5 years development meant make or break and it broke

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i wish i could actually log in and play the damn thing..

i can log in to my account page no problem but i cant get the fucking password to work when trying to log in to the game...

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aye not enough sign ups heh .. maybe ppl are at last seeing the light of crappy mmo's that are half finished .. 5 years development meant make or break and it broke

People simply won't tolorate broken MMO'S/lack of any content at release anymore, you only have to look at the casualties in the last few years

Warhammer
Tabula Rasa
APB

I could name others but you get the picture, i hope companys are taking note.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
and were gonna see many many many many many more MMO's die fast and furious for many many years to come because they just don't learn...

i'm still fully expecting to see STO go down the drain any month now...

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Living in the limbo of wanting to a MMO but not wanting to be a MMO most certainly did not help them much.

But I do not know what they were smoking when they thought up that 2 districts would be enough, that upgrades were that significant, and never bothered with a working matchmaking.

So what that you can customize your character and make music if a) nobody notices and b) there's nothing else to do. :lol:

Not surprised RTW is going under entirely.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
and were gonna see many many many many many more MMO's die fast and furious for many many years to come because they just don't learn...

i'm still fully expecting to see STO go down the drain any month now...

I'm surprised STO didn't die already.
I'm hoping SWTOR doesn't kill bioware either

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

thats another game i'm very suspicious about...

they seem to be taking a tad to many shortcuts from WoW and other "traditional" MMO's.

worst part were when i saw a ingame video of a fucking jedi healer.....

i actually wanted to vomit then....

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

yes
thats right
cos EA-BIOWARE-MYTHIC are so short of money it would kill them instantly if it didnt sell 10000000000000000 copies in less than 1 sec

or totally not

Aada

Part of the furniture
thats another game i'm very suspicious about...

they seem to be taking a tad to many shortcuts from WoW and other "traditional" MMO's.

worst part were when i saw a ingame video of a fucking jedi healer.....

i actually wanted to vomit then....

Taking shortcuts from WoW is a bad thing?

There are very good reasons why WoW has been king of the MMO pile in the West for 6 years now 6 YEARS where nothing has even come close to gaining anywhere near the numbers of subs it has or the content it is.

SWTOR is 50/50 it will either do so well it will be awesome or it will fail i don't really think there is an inbetween with that game.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yes i do think copying WoW to much is a bad thing, especially with such a standout title as star wars.

i mean, if i wanted to play a WoW clone i might as well just go play WoW!

but i want to play a star wars game, not world of star wars....

/edit: and you will never see another game do so well as WoW is. WoW's success were kind of a blessed accident...

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
yes i do think copying WoW to much is a bad thing, especially with such a standout title as star wars.

/edit: and you will never see another game do so well as WoW is. WoW's success were kind of a blessed accident...

People throw around the "WoW clone" argument simply because they dislike how a game is being designed.

It was never in the cards to get SWG 2.0 - luckily - when 1.0 failed hard.

Aada

Part of the furniture

I don't think you can call one of, if not THE best MMORPG of all time an accident.

Blizzard and nobody else expected the numbers to play WoW but there are reasons why so many did and still do and imo it comes down to Blizzard planning a well thought out game.

Blizzard have been hiring for a new MMORPG for sometime now and their next MMO will probably be one of the biggest releases ever.

Lets not forget Cata the next expansion surely to draw millions back lol and this expansion looks like the best yet tbh.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
no, noone knew it would be such a massive hit, but thats why i said "blessed accident", noone planned for it to be that big it just happened as ppl jumped on the train.

maybe not the correct word but i'm not fluent in english so meh.

and yes their next MMO will probably sell lots and lots to, question is if they can make that one be just as successful, or even anywhere near that.

WoW is a hit because its warcraft.

so unless their next MMO is based on starcraft i doubt it will be anywhere near as big once it has settled in.

i even dare say that their next MMO have a big enough risk to fail so horribly ppl will talk about it for the next few hundred years, mainly because the expectations on that MMO will be so fucking massive it won't fit inside the known universe...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
People throw around the "WoW clone" argument simply because they dislike how a game is being designed.

yes i know its not very fitting, but WoW is the game every MMO company looks at now for inspiration, amongst other games ofc, but mainly WoW because it is as big as it is...

i mean, blizzard practically invented instanced pvp with their battlegrounds and now you see them in pretty much every MMO that released after that, and in some games they are almost an outright copy and paste...

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
WoW is a hit because its warcraft.
<snip>

WoW is not a hit because of Warcraft. Sure the universe properly drew in some people, however the IP alone does not guarantee any sort of success. Many games with big IPs behind it have shown this.

Many people came to WoW because it was accessible in content (at least until the raiding in the early years), it was more polished then many other games at that time and it was the next new MMO. Yes, some came because of Warcraft, and some from Blizzard/Diablo and so on.
And not to mention - but there was not much qualified competition back then. There was no WoW to compete with with WoW.
When it started to grow, it gained momentum and broke the MMO genre out of the niche and into the mainstream which in turn captured many other non-MMO gamers. Until WoW MMOs were stereotypical for the nerds without a social life who were the only willing to pay subscriptions etc. It broke those boundaries and it became generally more accepted to play MMO.

WoWs success and becoming a hit was an attribute to many factors which many other companies have yet to manage to capture in a similar way without missing some of the core components.

Aada

Part of the furniture
WoW is not a hit because of Warcraft. Sure the universe properly drew in some people, however the IP alone does not guarantee any sort of success. Many games with big IPs behind it have shown this.

Many people came to WoW because it was accessible in content (at least until the raiding in the early years), it was more polished then many other games at that time and it was the next new MMO. Yes, some came because of Warcraft, and some from Blizzard/Diablo and so on.
And not to mention - but there was not much qualified competition back then. There was no WoW to compete with with WoW.
When it started to grow, it gained momentum and broke the MMO genre out of the niche and into the mainstream which in turn captured many other non-MMO gamers. Until WoW MMOs were stereotypical for the nerds without a social life who were the only willing to pay subscriptions etc. It broke those boundaries and it became generally more accepted to play MMO.

WoWs success and becoming a hit was an attribute to many factors which many other companies have yet to manage to capture in a similar way without missing some of the core components.

QFT

It's amazing really just how many people play WoW tbh i know a hell of a lot of casual gamers that never touched an MMO before WoW came a long.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

i can agree with most of this, but you do remember the panic blizzard had at release when they had to order ~100 or more new servers right?

i'm fairly confident that if it wouldn't have said "warcraft" in the title and blizzard weren't the developer ppl wouldn't have flooded that game in such an enormous amount at launch, polished or not. also remember that there weren't much of any content 50+ for a good 3 - 4 months after release, sure the mobs were there but not much else and certainly no end game instances.

WoW is a FOTM game more then anything, or at least it was as ppl probably do like it else they wouldn't keep playing for as long as they have. and that's the point i was trying to make earlier, it just didn't come out as it should. :)

so in a sense, blizzards success with WoW was an accident, its a damn GOOD accident but nonetheless an accident, kinda link you trip and fall and break you're face on a bigass pot of gold :)

sort of, gah i need to learn better english :/

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's an accident in the same way as pretty much every Bliz product is a massive hit, for a reason.

They know how to hook people, how to balance issues, how to make good games that are fun to play.

WoW had a great marketing department, good profile of the company and a base fanbase of Bliz fans and warcraft fans alike.

But there are not that many warcraft nerds around and an MMO does not a RTS make :p

If someone was to say "Rockstar is planning a MMO", it would have a huge fanbase already. Not because of njiiico bjeeellic, but because it's rockstar. Same goes with world of warcraft; it's not because it's warcraft, it's because it's from the makers of diablo, starcraft and warcraft.

The server thing? They planned for many subsribers, just not THAT many. Over-success is not an accident.

Oh and add a forced "EVE is not WoW at all" comment here :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yep, its a shame.

the concept were great but they fucked up bad with not having anything that separated long progress characters from newbies in the missions.

wasn't all that fun to try and do a mission and go up against someone with pretty much top end weapons...

Mabs

was a hope/ rumour that EA were going to salvage it, but sadly never materialised. dont know all the details sadly, but i know RTW were "Only" £3 million in debt when they went down which isnt actually that much, figuratively.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm pretty sure that's not the worst figure for a game company but I cba to check.

Mabs

I'm pretty sure that's not the worst figure for a game company but I cba to check.

yea thats why it was odd, it has a small player base, but PER CAPITA it was generating the most revenue of ANY mmo, around $30/person/month.. which is quite a lot really

oh well:(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yea thats why it was odd, it has a small player base, but PER CAPITA it was generating the most revenue of ANY mmo, around $30/person/month.. which is quite a lot really

oh well:(

yeah but if it cost more to support the game with bandwith + patches + ingame support etc etc then the money the subscribers bring in it still wont matter.

i think having the social district be 100% free of charge were a mistake, alot of ppl spent all their time there and not paying anything at all..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Like I said 6 months ago.

This game wont be around in 6 months.

Looked shit, played shit from a shit dev. Simplez

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Was nothing wrong with the game in general. just a few things they did horribly wrong and that's what made it fail.

1 being only 2 zones, the second was that high progress characters would get missions to fight newcomers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom