Question Anyone into mobile phones?

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Had the Desire for a good few days, battery life has improved quite a bit, from what I can gather online it takes a while for the batteries to "mature".. Bizzare! Haven't rooted it yet, but I'm sure I will further down the line, the only niggles I have so far is,

1. Why did HTC not implements googles really quite awesome program star wars esque menu system? I know I can install it, but I like sense UI, and it's widgets! Also the Sense UI program menu is a teeny bit laggy on the desire.

2. The 2.1 Google power widget where you control, Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS etc, if I use it to change the screen brightness I have to go all the way back into the display settings to turn on the "auto brightness option" again..

Other than that, waiting with baited breath for 2.2! hopefully HTC will get the sense UI mods onto it ASAP.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You have failed in your decision. You should have had the Vivaz. I have it's brother the Satio, and it's been great. No real software issues to speak of, call quality is excellent, texting is a piece of piss and I've had no issues with the touchscreen.

See the Desire/Nexus One/X10 etc might be all well and good, but the HTC ones are geeks wet dreams, which is great if you're a nurdling, but the non nurdlings I know with them are a bit "meh" about all this Android malarkey. If you're just a normal human being who just wants to talk and text and maybe take the odd photo, they are a complete waste of time and money.

However, after playing with a couple, I badly want an X10 :| They are the cool face of Android tbh.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
However, after playing with a couple, I badly want an X10 :| They are the cool face of Android tbh.

Oh man, you're worse than an iPhone fanboy - the X10 interface looks DIRE. Desire > *.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Oh man, you're worse than an iPhone fanboy - the X10 interface looks DIRE. Desire > *.
The X10 interface isn't bad to use actually. Mrs.Zenith doesn't use Timescape at all, but she uses Mediascape a lot. When it's combined with an album art and MP3 tag grabber, she's got all her music sorted and indexed properly.

In other news, jerpelea on XDAdev has managed to root the X10. The catch is that the method requires an expensive SEtool box to upload the custom image. The effort now is to convert the procedure into a cheap method everyone can use.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I had a play with it in the 02 store at the weekend. The UI is actually not bad at all, but it does chug a bit. It don't know if that's fundamental to Timescape or Android 1.6, but I wouldn't turn down an X10 if someone gave me one.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
If only the X10 didnt look like a 90s phone...

I'd waite for the X10 mini tbh. Looks > all :p

DaGaffer

If only the X10 didnt look like a 90s phone...

I'd waite for the X10 mini tbh. Looks > all :p

Actually I prefer the X10 aesthetically to any of the HTC phones (black OR white), but the Desire is simply a better technical option.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Whats the matter with all of you the best thing about Android is the lack of any enforced UI you get to pick and choose exactly what you like. Nexus (with Beautiful Widgets) > All

It was worth a try :(

Bodhi

I'd read that sentence back to yourself if I was you, HTC lamer!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Right, wanna take this outside sonnyjim?

Besides, I'm no HTC fanboy, I've disliked most of my previous HTC phones however after moving to Android I've realised the sole reason for that is WinMo. SenseUI is superduper :).

You're not honestly denying your Sony fanboy status are you?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
He's conflicted, doesn't know what to do if samsung deliver with their next android phone

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Besides, I'm no HTC fanboy, I've disliked most of my previous HTC phones however after moving to Android I've realised the sole reason for that is WinMo. SenseUI is superduper :).
QFT.

I've had a HTC phone of one sort or another for most of the last 8 years. The primary reason was having phone, PDA and satnav in one device. I like SenseUI, and now that HTC have ported it to Android I'm happy to look at it. My main consideration after getting the phone will be which satnav software to go with. :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Since having the Nexus I thought I would want SensUI but the Android 2.1 interface is excellent. I can't see what extra's I could need...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
QFT.

I've had a HTC phone of one sort or another for most of the last 8 years. The primary reason was having phone, PDA and satnav in one device. I like SenseUI, and now that HTC have ported it to Android I'm happy to look at it. My main consideration after getting the phone will be which satnav software to go with. :)

Google maps has worked fine for me so far, I have shelved my Tomtom for now. It's not perfect yet, but it's pretty good.

Since having the Nexus I thought I would want SensUI but the Android 2.1 interface is excellent. I can't see what extra's I could need...

You can't want something you don't use, however I miss sense ui when I use a non sense android phone. The android OS is great, but the changes HTC have added just make it an even better experience. The great thing is though, it doesn't matter which phone you have, someone will create widgets, or hacked roms that let you change it to whatever style you want.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What extras does it give you then that you would need?
I've had a quick play with one and can't really see anything I'm missing...

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
correction, they are both equally shit...

neither is "fine"....

Well, might be a dumb phone but its helluva cool, works fine, no lag noticed when moving btwn menus and have all the things i ever use:

- calls
- sms
- facebook app
- google maps + gps
- some music, video or a photo from time to time
- ocasional email throu gmail sync
- 0 €

and its smaller than a 2730 classic e.g

I know its not even close of an android phone, but neither Id use 5% of the utility of those devices. At least not atm. :)

Bodhi

He's conflicted, doesn't know what to do if samsung deliver with their next android phone

I wouldn't care if Samdung did a super shiny 46Mp camera with Android 14.2, I still wouldn't buy the fucker, as Samsung mobile will still find a way to make it shit. They always do.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Jesus christ, that must have really fucking hurt Bodhi. I can imagine you gritting your teeth and typing with stiff fingers.

Bodhi

Jesus christ, that must have really fucking hurt Bodhi. I can imagine you gritting your teeth and typing with stiff fingers.

Speaking as someone who has lost a total of 1700 pounds comission over the years due to Samsung phones, you must have a fucking vivid imagination. I would have an iPhone over ANYTHING Samdung do in the mobile phone arena. Their laptops may be nice if you can't afford a Vaio, but most of their other stuff?

Pish. Of the highest order.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Just think with £1700 you could afford to buy an X10, realise how inferior it is to the Desire, throw it in the bin, and buy 2 Desires (one for nath) and still have money left over for a skanky hooker and some coke.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Speaking as someone who has lost a total of 1700 pounds comission over the years due to Samsung phones, you must have a fucking vivid imagination. I would have an iPhone over ANYTHING Samdung do in the mobile phone arena. Their laptops may be nice if you can't afford a Vaio, but most of their other stuff?

Pish. Of the highest order.
All their computer kit is lush tbh. The office is kitted out with Samsung printers and they're a class act compared to anything we've had before from HP. The only printer we've had that was better was an old style IBM/Lexmark before they started making them out of plastic!

There phones are indeed pish though.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The office is kitted out with Samsung printers and they're a class act compared to anything we've had before from HP. The only printer we've had that was better was an old style IBM/Lexmark before they started making them out of plastic!
YOU WHAT?!?!?
You actually said that Lexmark was best?
I deal with all makes of printers with my work and Lexmark rate as one of the worst. Their fuser units break down on a ridiculously frequent basis. Only Tally make worse printers IMO.
Best printers would have to be HP 4000 series Laserjets. "They just work".

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No, I said old style IBM/Lexmark. Anything new Lexmark is utter fucking crap.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
YOU WHAT?!?!?
You actually said that Lexmark was best?
I deal with all makes of printers with my work and Lexmark rate as one of the worst. Their fuser units break down on a ridiculously frequent basis. Only Tally make worse printers IMO.
Best printers would have to be HP 4000 series Laserjets. "They just work".

I hate doing the Lexmark fusers, they always fuck up on test runs, usually the thermistor.

I do like the HP 4000 machines though, my favourite is the 4250.

DaGaffer

I hate doing the Lexmark fusers, they always fuck up on test runs, usually the thermistor.

I do like the HP 4000 machines though, my favourite is the 4250.

Jesus, it really is nerdvarna round here when people start talking about their favourite photocopiers.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Jesus, it really is nerdvarna round here when people start talking about their favourite photocopiers.

I cringed as I typed it tbh :D

Its my job though so they have a special place in my heart, I do enjoy setting fire to the Lexmark fusers though, if the thermistor is borked it melts the heater roller to the pressure roller. Thats special when that happens :D

Oh god I need sex :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom