Question Anyone into mobile phones?

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
I need advise about 2 phones Ive been offered by Vodafone:

- Sony Ericcson Vivaz
- LG GD880 mini

Not being an adept of mobiles, I know the Vivaz is a smartphone using symbian O.S, it has 8,1 camera n HD video.

On the ohter hand, the LG is so so so good looking, it has capacitive screen and a good bunch of social network apps. Stillm its not a smartphone.

Ive been searching the web for reviews. Found a lot of Vivaz reviews, most of them flaming the crappy symbian O.S and the laggy screen.
Prob is that there are just a few LG GD880 reviews and I havent been able to extract a conclusion about this phone.

Knowing that I mostly use the phone for calls, txt messages and some apps like google maps, facebook and so, what phone should i pick? Will i be frustrated with symbian? the LG crap battery and propietary S.O?

Any help will be most welcomed!! Cheers.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Following up with what Ch3tan said.
HTC Desire is the swiss army knife of mobile phones. It does it all the things most people want and more.

If you're absolutely sticking with either of the original choices, you should only consider the Vivaz if you're looking for a respectable camera and HD video recorder. The imaging is all it's got going for it tbh.

I don't know anything about the other phone sorry.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Neither of the two phones you said are the HTC Desire, thus I do not understand the question.

Son of Sluggish

Fledgling Freddie
This interests me. I have no idea how the cell phone system works over there... Here it is crap: You have to get your phones from the providers. I believe all of your phones are GSM? You buy your phone then get a SIM card from the provider?

I would go with an HTC. Whatever is running the android OS. Almost 10000 apps already. I'm very happy with mine.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Either or - you can buy your phone offline and then get a sim card to go with it, or you get it as part of a mobile phone contract. If it's part of a contract the cost of the mobile is subsidised via the monthly fee, often the phone will be sim-locked to the network so you can't pop any other sim in without getting it unlocked first (usually costing £10-20).

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The UK has a different business model to the US when it comes to mobile telecoms.
For starters, you call them a cell or cellular, we call them mobiles.
You have GSM/UTMS or CDMA depending on your provider, we have GSM/UTMS alone.

The business model that's most popular here is where the network provider provides tariff price bands on 18month or even 24 month contracts. The handset cost is subsidised so you only pay a reduced price up-front or even get the handset for free.

For example, I could pick up a HTC Desire from O2 for free on an 18 month contract if I pay £40 per month. That tariff gets me 600 minutes to any landline or mobile phone, unlimited SMS text messages and an allowance for data traffic (within reasonable limits). Anything over the allowances is chargeable at the prescribed rates for the tariff. If I wanted to pay less per month, I could get 300mins, unlimited SMS texts and data traffic for £35 per month and pay £49.99 for the handset.
The network operator provides the handset and SIM. They also try to upsell their handset insurance which costs £7.50 per month on top of the tariff, but that's optional. It all means lower up-front costs, but marginally increased monthly total payments. It's what Britons are generally used to.

There is also the option to take out a SIM-only contract where you pay a moderate price for network access using your own handset.

Finally there is the top-up system for those who either don't want or can't get a contract. The network still subsidises the handset cost a little, but you buy the phone up-front and buy additional credit which you run down as you use it.

Son of Sluggish

Fledgling Freddie
The UK has a different business model to the US when it comes to mobile telecoms.
For starters, you call them a cell or cellular, we call them mobiles.
You have GSM/UTMS or CDMA depending on your provider, we have GSM/UTMS alone.

The business model that's most popular here is where the network provider provides tariff price bands on 18month or even 24 month contracts. The handset cost is subsidised so you only pay a reduced price up-front or even get the handset for free.

For example, I could pick up a HTC Desire from O2 for free on an 18 month contract if I pay £40 per month. That tariff gets me 600 minutes to any landline or mobile phone, unlimited SMS text messages and an allowance for data traffic (within reasonable limits). Anything over the allowances is chargeable at the prescribed rates for the tariff. If I wanted to pay less per month, I could get 300mins, unlimited SMS texts and data traffic for £35 per month and pay £49.99 for the handset.
The network operator provides the handset and SIM. They also try to upsell their handset insurance which costs £7.50 per month on top of the tariff, but that's optional. It all means lower up-front costs, but marginally increased monthly total payments. It's what Britons are generally used to.

There is also the option to take out a SIM-only contract where you pay a moderate price for network access using your own handset.

Finally there is the top-up system for those who either don't want or can't get a contract. The network still subsidises the handset cost a little, but you buy the phone up-front and buy additional credit which you run down as you use it.

That is actually a lot like our system. I thought you were all past contracts? I got my HTC Hero for $50 and my plan is $70 a month. My plan gets 450 minutes (to landlines) unlimited mobile to mobile on any network, unlimited nights and weekends starting at seven PM and unlimited data and messaging.

Post paid is where you buy the phone up front and pay for the airtime up front.

Not as different as I was led to believe...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No it's not that different, but Us networks have always had longer contract lengths and more exclusivity over handsets. I believe the standard contract length for the best phones is moving to 3 years in the US?

People are not happy with 18 and 24 month contracts in the UK, hence the big uptake of sim only deals with no tie in.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The other main difference between here and the US is that we don't have to pay to receive calls, only to make them.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yup. Texts as well apparently.

It's normally covered within your plan though.

The issue is that mobile numbers are the same as geographic numbers, so the caller doesn't know it's a mobile, and can't be expected to pay for the roaming from say, california to texas, so you pick up that leg. Why they don't use non-geographic numbers like ours (and pretty much the rest of the world) I dunno. Probably a case of NIH.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Guys guys, I know the HTC Desire is awesome, but considering I dont want to get trapped in monthly 20 euros broadband plans, your opinion btwn the 2 phones Ive mentiones (the LG or the Vivaz) would be superwelcomed!!!! :p

Pls help me decide.!!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Thought about buying a phone outright then getting a monthly contract? I assume they are available in spain?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Guys guys, I know the HTC Desire is awesome, but considering I dont want to get trapped in monthly 20 euros broadband plans, your opinion btwn the 2 phones Ive mentiones (the LG or the Vivaz) would be superwelcomed!!!! :p

Pls help me decide.!!
Ah fair enough mate, in that case I'd get the HTC Desire.

Sorry, can't bring myself to recommend anything else :).

Son of Sluggish

Fledgling Freddie

Pls help me decide.!!

Either of those are fine. Pick the one that is the prettiest. I've had a few LG phones that I liked. Reception was an issue though.

I manage an electronics store and sell wireless phones. There is no plan of moving to 36 month contracts. If anything, the idea of contracts in general is being questioned. Really, at this point, the only difference between contract and pre-paid is the start-up cost, with the consumer able to walk out of the shop with a nice phone for little or nothing by signing a two year. To get into a Blackberry without a contract would cost the consumer upwards of four-hundred dollars while when signing a contract they get the phone for nothing. The cost per month would be the same for contract or non-contract users. For example, through Sprint a Blackberry 8530 would be $400 and $70 a month without a contract or free and $70 a month with a contract...

But... People are willing to spend the extra cash to have the flexibility of leaving when they choose. The catch is that phones here are provider specific and if you leave Sprint to go to Verizon you would have to replace your phone...

Free incoming calls was a feature in many plans years ago that has been replaced with free incoming and out going calls from all mobile phones on any network. The only time you would dip into your minutes pool is if you are calling a land line, between seven AM and seven PM, during the week.

The NEXT big change in wireless (here anyways) will be a microwave system that greatly increases range (less towers and better coverage) and GREATLY increases bandwidth (upwards of 40 - 50 mbps). The next generation of phones will actually use VOIP apps and utilize data only for all comunication. These new systems have already begun to be implimented in the major metropolitan areas and will slowly creep out to the outlying regions until GSM and CDMA as we know it ceases to exist.

EXCITING TIMES!!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
In the UK, and increasingly elsewhere in europe, there are special 30 day or 12 month contracts that give you a very good deal, but no phone. E.g. I get 600 cross network anytime minutes, 1200 texts and unlimited internet (really a gig or so) for £20 a month.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Decided to go for the LG GD880 mini.

As you said, theres no point in a symbian smartphone with HD video record and 8,1 camera when: I barelly use the phone camera or the video recording (let alone HD), never had a smartphone and wont probably be arsed to play around with apps...

So its the chocolate bar: 10€ keeping my low cost vodafone plan (I threatened to swap to Orange), and i have 15 days of trail use.

Lets see how it goes :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Fail Vasc. You did not choose the only option, HTC Desire.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Fail Vasc. You did not choose the only option, HTC Desire.
I know I'm in the same camp as you Ch3tan, but we sound like HTC versions of Apple fanboys going on about their beloved iPhone. :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
These are the rules of freddyshouse. If you are asking about monitors, you may only get a widescreen 24" monitor, preferably a Dell. If you asked about phones pre Desire you would be told to get a Hero, now you may only get a Desire or a Nexus One. Those are the rules, there are no other options. As there are no other options, this apple you speak of and their fanbois must be make believe.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
If only I would be arsed to pay Vodafone 25€ for a 3G plan I'd go for the Desire sure. But assuming I already have a company mobile, and my personal one only costs me a 10€/month bill.... well, you know the deal :p

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Got the HTC desire, love it, although battery doesn't last as long as my hero's ones did? Also the OLED screen isn't very good at displaying non-web safe colours, ie.

HTC on your pc and the images grey boxes are, well grey.. on the phone they'll be slightly pink... ah well something I can live with!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
These are the rules of freddyshouse. If you are asking about monitors, you may only get a widescreen 24" monitor, preferably a Dell. If you asked about phones pre Desire you would be told to get a Hero, now you may only get a Desire or a Nexus One. Those are the rules, there are no other options. As there are no other options, this apple you speak of and their fanbois must be make believe.
Or Moderators ;)

Son of Sluggish

Fledgling Freddie
Got the HTC desire, love it, although battery doesn't last as long as my hero's ones did? Also the OLED screen isn't very good at displaying non-web safe colours, ie.

HTC on your pc and the images grey boxes are, well grey.. on the phone they'll be slightly pink... ah well something I can live with!

I'm sure this is nothing you don't already know but installing an app killer and using it regularly will greatly increase your battery life.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm sure this is nothing you don't already know but installing an app killer and using it regularly will greatly increase your battery life.

No no no no no no no! App killers use more battery and resource than they save. Android is fantastical good at memory and power management. There are long articles on it from the people in the know detailing the technical reasons why you don't need an app killer.

Aada

Part of the furniture
It seems i started something the day i said i was getting a Desire it seems the forum exploded into a frenzy of Desire madness.

Awesome phone though, today i downloaded an entire new web browser called Dolphin HD it's a lot better then the built in browser in my opinion. Just one of the many ways you can make the HTC Desire YOUR phone and how you want YOUR phone to work.

I will only be buying HTC from now on.

Son of Sluggish

Fledgling Freddie
No no no no no no no! App killers use more battery and resource than they save. Android is fantastical good at memory and power management. There are long articles on it from the people in the know detailing the technical reasons why you don't need an app killer.

If you say so; I just sell them.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'll find you the article later, it's a good read.

having gone from using app killers to not, I can tell you that the only difference it makes is that you save time not using the app killer constantly :)

Yeah Aada, it's clearly all about you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom